I recently bought a new set of Ben Hogan player combo set of irons, 4-7 PTX Pro and 8-PW Icons. Of course they came with new grips. I need to replace the grips on my 3 woods and 3 wedges that will stay in the bag. Should I go ahead and do all 13 clubs with the same grip for consistency or find a similar style grip for the 6 new ones. I have always preferred the Golf Pride tour wrap but the irons are not a wrap. 

Welcome to TST.

I think it is all personal choice.  My driver is a different grip but other clubs are the same.  Not really be design, just how it is.  Last time my clubs need to be redone the driver was fine so I left it alone.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Go all 13. If you think there is any chance it will bother you, do it. 

Agreed 

12 minutes ago, StuM said:

Welcome to TST.

I think it is all personal choice.  My driver is a different grip but other clubs are the same.  Not really be design, just how it is.  Last time my clubs need to be redone the driver was fine so I left it alone.

Agreed

I used to have different grips for the clubs bought separately, but recently had all regripped the same and I like it. Largely personal preference, but I do like the consistency/uniformity now

Welcome to TST.   I agree with this:

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Largely personal preference, but I do like the consistency/uniformity now

• Administrator

I play grips that are different on many clubs. Right now… let's see…

• My putter, obviously. 🙂
  • Driver has the original grip it came with. It's a New Decade ALIGN one.
  • My 3W has a Tour Wrap I think.
  • My hybrid has a Lamkin.
  • My irons have Pure Pro.
  • My wedges have PURE DTX.

The CLUBS themselves are different, so why would I care if the grips are?

• 2 weeks later...

I changed all my grips, except the putter, because I wanted all mid-size grips. I did the entire set, driver through SW. As stated above it is a personal choice, how do they feel for you? I know some guys don't really care and some do. Changing my grips gave me the feeling that I had an entire new set of clubs, worked for me.

I guess my answer to your question would be to change all your grips.

I have mainly used MCC +4's in the past, but recently got new irons the end of last year and had the Pure DTX grips put on them.  The few rounds I played it bothered me a little having different grips, mainly because my other grips were old and ready to be changed, but getting the rest replaced with Pure DTX next week.

33 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I've cut brand new grips off clubs to put used PURE grips on.

Me too. I've also ordered custom clubs and asked to have the grips shipped loose. That way when the club arrives I can put a Pure DTX Midsize Grip on their from jump street. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can put a Pure DTX Midsize Grip on their from jump street. 

Oops, it should have been "there" not "their"....... 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I've cut brand new grips off clubs to put used PURE grips on.

I do this all the time. It annoys the f*ck out of me to peel off grip tape though.

25 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Me too. I've also ordered custom clubs and asked to have the grips shipped loose. That way when the club arrives I can put a Pure DTX Midsize Grip on their from jump street. 

I requested grip off with the last two Edel wedges I ordered, but they came with grips installed 🤬. My new set of irons should be arriving soon, and I also asked the fitter to order with grips off. Hopefully Srixon is more attentive to stuff like that. I've got some Pure Combos to try out with them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I do this all the time. It annoys the f*ck out of me to peel off grip tape though.

I requested grip off with the last two Edel wedges I ordered, but they came with grips installed 🤬. My new set of irons should be arriving soon, and I also asked the fitter to order with grips off. Hopefully Srixon is more attentive to stuff like that. I've got some Pure Combos to try out with them.

I'll be jazzed to hear about how you like the Pure Combos. To mean that seems like a great idea. I hope they bring them out in Midsized. 

I have all different grips on various clubs.

Sometimes, it is just to get the right swing weight or feel.  On my 3 wood, I want to be able to hit a high draw and it has a thinner grip.  On my short wedges, I can't stand a taper whereas on my irons up to GW, the grips are all tapered.

I don’t mind different grips, but within each of these club types, the grips must match:

• Fairway woods
  • hybrids
  • irons

The different grip types in these categories often gives me a semi-conscious tactile reminder of the slightly different swings for the club types, if that makes sense.