IGNORED

PGA to Allow Distance Measuring Devices (Lasers) in 2021!

iacas
Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just think it's a good quality of life change. I think it would be beneficial to get exact measurements, and in some tricky spots can speed up play. 

I just don't use it to ping the flag. I hit hazard stakes if I want to know how far it is to the water. You can hit a tree that you want your layout to end up short of so you don't run through the fairway. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I just think it's a good quality of life change. I think it would be beneficial to get exact measurements, and in some tricky spots can speed up play. 

I just don't use it to ping the flag. I hit hazard stakes if I want to know how far it is to the water. You can hit a tree that you want your layout to end up short of so you don't run through the fairway. 

Thanks, @saevel25. I get how it helps us individual golfers who don't have the luxury of personal, professional caddies to help us around the course. I'm just not clear how it helps the pro golfer or especially me as a watcher/supporter of pro golf.

8 hours ago, Zippo said:

Thanks, @saevel25. I get how it helps us individual golfers who don't have the luxury of personal, professional caddies to help us around the course. I'm just not clear how it helps the pro golfer or especially me as a watcher/supporter of pro golf.

I think pace of play would eventually improve. The PGA Tour is inching toward getting after slow players more. Using a laser efficiently should speed up play. As a watcher I can get frustrated by slow play, therefore this would improve the viewing experience.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think pace of play would eventually improve. The PGA Tour is inching toward getting after slow players more. Using a laser efficiently should speed up play. As a watcher I can get frustrated by slow play, therefore this would improve the viewing experience.

Thanks, @boogielicious. Do you expect that both the caddie and player would each have a device or just the caddie would carry one? Who do you think would be the principle user - caddie or player?

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Thanks, @boogielicious. Do you expect that both the caddie and player would each have a device or just the caddie would carry one? Who do you think would be the principle user - caddie or player?

Probably the caddie and not both. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Probably the caddie and not both. 

I don't think the player will want to be concentrating through a rangefinder lens when the caddy can take care of it. The caddy usually takes care of all the tasks like ball cleaning and such. It will be strange how they work in their routines, and seeing this go on in the PGA.

Edited by Billy Z
added text

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0215%2Fr815289_1

Nobody was really clamoring for the range finders in professional golf. It's debatable whether they'll speed up play. In fact, some think they will slow...

I'm fine with the comments from guys like Webb Simpson's caddie who believes it might not speed up play and gives his reasons why:

"It's so frustrating that they never asked the ones who know the best what we think," said veteran caddie Paul Tesori, who works for Webb Simpson. "I truly don't believe it'll speed up play one minute.

"On a normal hole, I'll still have the front [of the green] number, carry number, how many left or right and how many yards behind the pin. The last number we would get is the pin. What happens then if the range finder is more than 1 yard off? Now we will have to redo all our other numbers to fit what we are trying to do with the shot."

But I have a problem with this "unnamed" caddies thoughts:

Said one longtime caddie who didn't want to be identified: "I'm 100% against it. I think at the PGA Championship level, the optics are bad. In my opinion, it will enable the caddies that don't prepare as well as some others the ability to catch up.

A direst corollary to the above is that the players aren't the ones in complete control over who wins each week.  Now, that in itself isn't news - we know this - but it's not really a thing that I (and perhaps others) like.  I mean, if adding the use of distance measuring devices wasn't going to speed up play but WAS going to minimize the effect of caddies on the outcome like he's implying, then that is an argument IN FAVOR of lasers, not against them, in my opinion.  And I'd bet a decent majority of others would agree.

I get the existential fear from some caddies. There is a lot more data that PGA Tour players take into account, and that is still needed. Don't some caddies use lasers during practice rounds or to create their books? If so, then why would the use of them during a tournament hurt their image or hurt the game? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I get the existential fear from some caddies. There is a lot more data that PGA Tour players take into account, and that is still needed. Don't some caddies use lasers during practice rounds or to create their books? If so, then why would the use of them during a tournament hurt their image or hurt the game? 

I agree.  Wondering... if the course hasn't changed is the same yardage book good for next year.  And how do I get one for my local course?  And can the pros/caddies use phone apps to get the distance to traps, water, downslopes, etc.?

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I agree.  Wondering... if the course hasn't changed is the same yardage book good for next year.  And how do I get one for my local course?  And can the pros/caddies use phone apps to get the distance to traps, water, downslopes, etc.?

As precise as the pros are, I would guess it's something akin to college textbooks, where the dude double checks everything and then puts out a new edition each year so they know they're up to date.

At the very least, they need to make sure the tees are mowed the same or else the layup yardages are all going to be wrong.

As far as getting one for your home course, unless it's one that the pros play, you're probably not going to find one of those really thorough books because there isn't really the market for it.  I spent some time making one for myself for my home course, but I don't really use it that much because I know what clubs to use off the tee by now and I have a laser for the rest.  It was fun making it though.

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And how do I get one for my local course?

You can get some pretty good yardage guides for a whole lot of courses from Straka, including the greens books for a reasonable percentage of them.

share_sl.png

The #1 Book (Yardage Books and Greens Guides) in golf since 2007. Every golf shot matters and StrackaLine's world renowned laser scanned greens guides have been helping golfers make more putts since 2007. Search a...

Like @Golfingdad, I made a pretty detailed yardage book for my own home course, but I really don't use it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

There are lots of courses that sell yardage books in the pro shop.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You can get some pretty good yardage guides for a whole lot of courses from Straka, including the greens books for a reasonable percentage of them.

share_sl.png

The #1 Book (Yardage Books and Greens Guides) in golf since 2007. Every golf shot matters and StrackaLine's world renowned laser scanned greens...

Like @Golfingdad, I made a pretty detailed yardage book for my own home course, but I really don't use it anymore.

Oh wow, this is great!  I had no idea those guys actually did other courses like this!  I'm gonna go browsing!!

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This is pretty neat. I've been wanting to get something like this as a gift for a friend who recently had a second kid (don't think he'll be golfing for awhile). I did some google searching and found companies called GolfLogix and Puttview too - not sure if these are quality sites or not, but seem similar.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!