Jump to content
IGNORED

My Setup (Butt) Board


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Following this topic (which many of you still need to do…):

I visited my local Friendly Neighborhood Training Aid Supply Store (Lowe's) to get a 4 x 4 (which is 3.5" x 3.5") and some 3/4" PVC, along with some conduit clamps, and built myself a little training aid.

setup_butt_board_1.jpgsetup_butt_board_2.jpgsetup_butt_board_3.jpg

In action? Here you go:

setup_butt_board_4.jpg

4 x 4s are 3.5" across.

My recommendation? Find a 2 x 4 that's about 30" long, occasionally put it against a wall, put your heels against it, and learn to set up without your butt pushing against the wall a lot.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to My Setup (Butt) Board
  • Administrator
49 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Can this be used as an early extension training aid too?

Yes. I forgot to mention it but it's low enough that you can use it throughout the swing, and heavy enough if you use a 4x4 or even a 2x4 (I went with a 4x4 so I could put two clamps on it, so I knew that would be pretty close to perpendicular) it shouldn't fall over unless you REALLY push it hard. Harder than anyone ever has in a golf swing except maybe Charles Barkley. 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator

Here’s my version. I used what I had on hand. 2x4s stacked are only 3” wide. I have some 1/2” stock I can use to make it wider. I will use it for EE, work as well  

0E997EA4-8A4A-492A-AFF4-E45D4D629CC7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very nice, guys. I can see some patent applications in your futures. However, on the marketing end, I'd like to suggest a more appropriate name than "Butt Board". How about the "Posterior Positional Placement Pedestal"?  😀

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:16 PM, boogielicious said:

Here’s my version. I used what I had on hand. 2x4s stacked are only 3” wide. I have some 1/2” stock I can use to make it wider. I will use it for EE, work as well  

0E997EA4-8A4A-492A-AFF4-E45D4D629CC7.jpeg

I was practicing with this kind of gear last summer to prevent early extension and... it doesn’t work. I mean it works while you are using the aid but not afterwards. At least for me. That is because by using this you kind of forcibly rotate your hips and while that might look good it’s not the correct movement. The rotation of the hips on the downswing is a consequence not something you want to do actively.  For example if you bend your knees about half way to a squat you can rotate your hips super fast but that doesn’t add anything to your golf swing. If you rather than rotate your hips, turn into your back hip on the backswing and then the rotation of the hips is a consequence of you pushing off your lead leg and thereby pushing your lead hip back this adds a lot of power to your swing and by result rotates your hips. I hope you can make some sense of this post, I do think Malaska has a video where he explains it brilliantly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
10 minutes ago, Killa said:

I was practicing with this kind of gear last summer to prevent early extension and... it doesn’t work. I mean it works while you are using the aid but not afterwards. At least for me. That is because by using this you kind of forcibly rotate your hips and while that might look good it’s not the correct movement. The rotation of the hips on the downswing is a consequence not something you want to do actively.  For example if you bend your knees about half way to a squat you can rotate your hips super fast but that doesn’t add anything to your golf swing. If you rather than rotate your hips, turn into your back hip on the backswing and then the rotation of the hips is a consequence of you pushing off your lead leg and thereby pushing your lead hip back this adds a lot of power to your swing and by result rotates your hips. I hope you can make some sense of this post, I do think Malaska has a video where he explains it brilliantly. 

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I’m not forcing my hips to do anything with this. This is a swing aid for me to get the feel of where my backside is while not early extending. I use it for a few swings then do the same drill without it. It’s working well and my instructor is encouraging me to keep using it. My instructor gives me priority pieces to work on. This is just one aid. I do use the feel of pushing back with my left foot on the downswing and dragging my right foot forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, boogielicious said:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. I’m not forcing my hips to do anything with this. This is a swing aid for me to get the feel of where my backside is while not early extending. I use it for a few swings then do the same drill without it. It’s working well and my instructor is encouraging me to keep using it. My instructor gives me priority pieces to work on. This is just one aid. I do use the feel of pushing back with my left foot on the downswing and dragging my right foot forward.

Ok I think if you are doing it like that it will be useful. But I see a lot of people advocating using this for rotating the hips consciously and that doesn’t work as it engages different muscles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, Killa said:

I was practicing with this kind of gear last summer to prevent early extension and... it doesn’t work. I mean it works while you are using the aid but not afterwards. At least for me. That is because by using this you kind of forcibly rotate your hips and while that might look good it’s not the correct movement. The rotation of the hips on the downswing is a consequence not something you want to do actively.  For example if you bend your knees about half way to a squat you can rotate your hips super fast but that doesn’t add anything to your golf swing. If you rather than rotate your hips, turn into your back hip on the backswing and then the rotation of the hips is a consequence of you pushing off your lead leg and thereby pushing your lead hip back this adds a lot of power to your swing and by result rotates your hips. I hope you can make some sense of this post, I do think Malaska has a video where he explains it brilliantly. 

Lotta “feel ain’t real” and personal or specific to you stuff in there.

And I use it mostly for setup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

FYI,

   Something to consider —- the vertebrae of the average human will only turn / twist approx.  30 degrees . If you lock your butt against a wall so you can’t rotate your hips  how are you going to make a 90 degree bs?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
Just now, Lane Holt said:

Something to consider —- the vertebrae of the average human will only turn / twist approx.  30 degrees . If you lock your butt against a wall so you can’t rotate your hips  how are you going to make a 90 degree bs?

Not sure where you’re seeing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
57 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

FYI,

   Something to consider —- the vertebrae of the average human will only turn / twist approx.  30 degrees . If you lock your butt against a wall so you can’t rotate your hips  how are you going to make a 90 degree bs?

 

That is not what the board is for. You don’t lock your butt. It gives you a sense of the proper set up and can be used for EE work as I have done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Boogie,

     Sorry I misunderstood your intent. I assume EE means (  early extension ) and is the same as hitting / throwing from the top ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
8 minutes ago, Lane Holt said:

Boogie,

     Sorry I misunderstood your intent. I assume EE means (  early extension ) and is the same as hitting / throwing from the top ? 

No. Early extension is when your hips come in towards the ball too soon instead of continuing to rotate keeping your upper body on plane. The BB just provides a reference point during drills. 

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Next time you see someone on a c*****v****e "news" program pose this question EXACTLY as you have (funny that), ask yourself why they simply pose the "question" as a "talking point" or rhetorical question. They will NEVER ask the question and then go to someone who can actually it - as people on this site can easily do. You'll just see a row of people smugly nodding their heads and smiling as if it' sa "gotcha" question. Problem is, they know that if someone was allowed to answer it, they'd be seen for what they really are. You will NEVER see famous TV  personality X say: "If a person is worried about getting COVID, and they get the vaccine, the vaccine protects them, correct?  Then why should they be concerned if I didn't get the vaccine? Here's expert Y to answer that question."
    • Mattm16... by any chance does the "16" that follows your moniker refer to your age?  If so, that could explain a lot.  I was cocky, sure of myself, hardheaded and knew much, much more than everyone who was older than me when I was 16.
    • Exactly - the notion that opinions deserve "equal time" seems pervasive.  If 99.9% of credible scientists believe something and 3% of people with no education "think" something (with nothing to back them up) they demand that their "opinion" be respected. Without any sense of irony, @mattm16 acknowledges that he "thinks" certain things but cannot justify them. He actually said the following - could there possibly be a more anit-intellectual admission? "I don't have facts to back up what I think.  I just think certain ways."  @mattm16 2021  
    • "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov
    • Day 212: Played 18. Shot an 81. Driver was all over the place. Short game was good. Irons were ok. Need to work on driver. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Adlamb
      Adlamb
      (46 years old)
    2. Baba
      Baba
      (45 years old)
    3. Healup
      Healup
      (49 years old)
    4. SophieWaggner83
      SophieWaggner83
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...