IGNORED

What do You Pay for Handicapping?

mauricio

In Maryland, MSGA membership includes:

Championships & Invitationals – Eligibility for men’s and women’s state championships and invitationals conducted from April to October.

One-Day Events – Eligibility and reduced entry fees for 6 events at private courses, open to men and women of all ages and abilities.  Fun formats include Four-Ball, Stableford, and more.

Hole-in-One Club – Have you made a hole-in-one? Members are eligible for listing on the Hole-in-One club honor roll and will also receive a certificate suitable for framing.

USGA Handicap Index – Members receive official USGA handicap index to track their progress, compete with friends, and play in MSGA events.

Golf Maryland eMagazine – Before it’s available on our website, members receive the newest issue of the MSGA’s digital magazine directly to their inbox. Each issue has an array of content suited to MSGA golfers including features on holes, courses, and individual members from MSGA clubs, historical articles, educational material on the Rules of Golf and Handicapping, golf travel opportunities, and much more.

Insurance Discount – Members may be eligible to receive a discount on a new or existing GEICO insurance plan.

Travel Discount – Get exclusive access to travel and entertainment discounts through Affinity Travel Benefits. These rates are unavailable to the public and include savings of 15%-70% on hotel & resorts worldwide, as well as tickets to sporting events, concerts, and more.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

Golf Association of Michigan, $39:

Track your game with an official GAM/USGA Handicap Index powered by GHIN - including online score posting

Hotel and resort discounts from Affinity Travel as well as special discounts on sporting events, concerts and theatre shows.
  Swing & Save (show your GAM Golf Card) and receive discount golf at 100-plus Michigan courses, including a large bucket for the price of a medium at Carl’s Golfland.
  GAM Golf Days: Play some of the state’s top private and public clubs and resorts starting at $60.
  Annual Michigan Links Course Directory magazine that includes Golf Day and tournament schedules and special coupons from our sponsors.
  Free access to GolfShot for GAM members and special pricing on the premium version of Golf Shot for GAM members.
  Annual subscription to Golf Digest magazine
  Biweekly Michigan E-Links newsletter to keep you updated on everything GAM!
  GAM events and tournaments for all ages and skill levels
  Get 10% off regular prices at Dunham’s Sports when you show your GAM membership card plus special offers for GAM members throughout the year.
  Win FREE prizes at gam.org and through our various social media - GAM members can enter various online contests to win free golf, and much more!
  Hole-in-One Certificate for those who notch an ace.
  Discounted tickets to the West Michigan Golf Show.
  Receive Destination KOHLER gift card with a Golf Kohler or Dye-Abolical package when booking your getaway.
  Special offers on Golf Travel from Sullivan Golf & Travel
  Receive 20% off full price Linksoul apparel! Visit Linksoul.com and use the promo code GAM20. One time use per member.
  Digital subscription to GolfWeek Magazine.
  Special offers from Imperial Headwear. For the GAM Collection, click HERE.
  Receive 20% off all Rocket Tour Knit Headcovers including the GAM x Rocket Tour Collection. Visit RocketTour.com and use member promo code GAM20.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 1:06 PM, iacas said:

Where I live, it's $30 to $35 per golfer.

This is the only fee the AGA (allied golf association) charges for member clubs - at least about 20 members and you are a full member club with the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association.

For that, the CLUB gets a lot more, but the golfer for example just gets their handicapping tied to a club or clubs or even eClubs.

I run an eClub here: https://golfevolution.com/eclub/.

Just curious how the USGA and state golf associations allow for others, like eclubs and various apps like the TheGrint, to provide official handicaps. Here in Canada, you can only get an official handicap through the RCGA/Provincial associations. Do the apps and eclubs pay the USGA for this? Otherwise, why would they allow it? What's the deal?

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Luv2kruz said:

Just curious how the USGA and state golf associations allow for others, like eclubs and various apps like the TheGrint, to provide official handicaps. Here in Canada, you can only get an official handicap through the RCGA/Provincial associations. Do the apps and eclubs pay the USGA for this? Otherwise, why would they allow it? What's the deal?

Yes, they pay them. Most likely through their AGA.

I run an eClub and I'm billed via the WPGA (unless the players pay them directly).

https://golfevolution.com/eclub/

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For me to join the RCGA (and Ontario Golf Association) as a public player, it's $49.95 in Canada, includes handicapping, insurance, discounts on tournament tickets and some other goodies. But I don't know how much per person the OGA charges its member clubs for their members.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Here in India we don't pay anything for our golf handicap, unless you count our club membership dues

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

When I belonged to a private club for a few years it was included. Now that I’m not, it seems to be $50 everywhere I’ve checked, whether you get it online or in person. It also seems that all of the online options correspond to a physical club/course here in NH. 
I kept it for a couple years after leaving the private club but let it lapse the past few years. If there are other benefits, beyond a publication they send out, I’m not aware of them. I’m trying to decide if I want to re-establish a HC. I’ve gotta do some reading on the changes with the WHS if I do. 

Edited by drmevo

We pay $35 per year to our club for handicap services.

But I have to tell you a little story. Back in the 70's there was a group of us that played every Saturday morning. Everywhere from 24 to 40 players. We were all business people and worked during the week. The local municipal course had a Men's club, but most of them played during the week. If we wanted a handicap through the course we needed to join the Men's club. No one wanted to do that.

As it turned out the local State Golf Association was located in the office complex where I worked.  I walked over and asked about how to become a club and obtain an official handicap. The director met with me, and we probably spent a couple hours talking about golf. It was great. Anyway, we needed like 25 golfers at that time to form a club, and the charge was $8 per player for handicap services.

You need to remember, in the 70's golf scores were all reported on paper that was posted on the bulletin board. Every 2 weeks I needed to collect our sheets and send them to the Golf Association, and I'd receive them back 2 days later.

Anyway, the prices everyone is paying now is probably covering computer costs and standard increased costs of getting a handicap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

• Administrator

Most of the prices now are most of the income for AGAs.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

We pay $35 per year to our club for handicap services.

But I have to tell you a little story. Back in the 70's there was a group of us that played every Saturday morning. Everywhere from 24 to 40 players. We were all business people and worked during the week. The local municipal course had a Men's club, but most of them played during the week. If we wanted a handicap through the course we needed to join the Men's club. No one wanted to do that.

As it turned out the local State Golf Association was located in the office complex where I worked.  I walked over and asked about how to become a club and obtain an official handicap. The director met with me, and we probably spent a couple hours talking about golf. It was great. Anyway, we needed like 25 golfers at that time to form a club, and the charge was $8 per player for handicap services.

You need to remember, in the 70's golf scores were all reported on paper that was posted on the bulletin board. Every 2 weeks I needed to collect our sheets and send them to the Golf Association, and I'd receive them back 2 days later.

Anyway, the prices everyone is paying now is probably covering computer costs and standard increased costs of getting a handicap.

I think the higher your handicap the more you should pay.  (or the inverse of that)

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think the higher your handicap the more you should pay.  (or the inverse of that)

And here I thought you were a good guy!   😁

• Funny 1

On 4/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, drmevo said:

I’m trying to decide if I want to re-establish a HC. I’ve gotta do some reading on the changes with the WHS if I do. 

Honestly, you don't NEED to know anything about the WHS, all you have to do is post your acceptable scores.  Its not a bad idea to understand the system, but the only thing you really need to know is which rounds to post.  You can post hole-by-hole, and the system will automatically correct for the maximum hole score.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It's $60 at my course, although I am no longer a member. The benefits you receive:

1. GHIN handicap index
  2. You can play in the club events and get sandbagged to death (the reason I am no longer a member)

When the USGA switched to the new World Handicap, it killed me because I quickly became a +1 or +2. I decided I was better off just letting my GHIN expire and playing in groups as a 0.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's $60 at my course, although I am no longer a member. The benefits you receive:

1. GHIN handicap index
  2. You can play in the club events and get sandbagged to death (the reason I am no longer a member)

When the USGA switched to the new World Handicap, it killed me because I quickly became a +1 or +2. I decided I was better off just letting my GHIN expire and playing in groups as a 0.

Your issue isn't with the USGA or WHS, it's with sandbaggers.

Most events that aren't just head-to-head matches should be played at a % handicap, like 80% or something.

You could join my eClub and compete in U.S. Am qualifiers, etc. for $35.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your issue isn't with the USGA or WHS, it's with sandbaggers.

Most events that aren't just head-to-head matches should be played at a % handicap, like 80% or something.

You could join my eClub and compete in U.S. Am qualifiers, etc. for $35.

Oh most definitely my issue is with sandbaggers, you get tired of playing pretty well and just getting killed...but thats for another thread. I will click on your eclub link, that sounds like a good deal.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

GAM - $0

WA Golf - $50; but add $30 supplement for Men's Club and get back a free round, punch card for free round, and 5 range tokens.