IGNORED

What do You Pay for Handicapping?

mauricio

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Yes, it is. And, it says "USGA GHIN" when I open the app on my phone so it's either official or a darn good foreign counterfeit!

Interesting, pro golf must have some sort of deal then. Most clubs are charged $36 from WA state, or it was before, for every member they sign up. I get mine, now, through my PGA section for $10 😁

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I pay $60 annually in Northern California. My membership is on auto-renew, so I don't really even think about it. But seeing all these lower costs in other states makes me feel like the NCGA might be a ripoff.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Huh.  Here in Southern California I pay $60.

Yours comes with sunshine and warm weather! Mine is only good for 7 months.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I think I pay $60 annually in Northern California. My membership is on auto-renew, so I don't really even think about it. But seeing all these lower costs in other states makes me feel like the NCGA might be a ripoff.

He also asked what other benefits you get. Few seem to be answering that question.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Our course rolls in the Handicap Fee with other charges, so not really sure, but it's probably in the 50-60 dollar range. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ours is $50. I don't think I get any benefits other than the handicapping service. My understanding is the $50 fee is split between the state golf association and my men's club. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

He also asked what other benefits you get.

I signed up for NCGA/GHIN membership through a phone app (Golfshot) I was using on to keep score and give yardages. I was only interested in the handicap index, so never really paid much attention to all the email and snail mail from NCGA. I stopped using the app several years ago, but kept the NCGA membership for handicap purposes.

I had to look these up on the NCGA website. I've never used any of the benefits but there are discounted NGCA member rates at Poppy Hills/Poppy Ridge golf courses. There are other things listed like exclusive golf/travel deals, member events, and news/information.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

$25 to $30. I have access to GHIN on my phone as well as on my computer. I get weekly email updates from the New York State Golf Association.

Edited by Carl3

3 hours ago, iacas said:

He also asked what other benefits you get. Few seem to be answering that question.

Missed the part about other benefits.  I don't use many of the additional benefits.  I get Golf Digest Magazine, discounts on some courses, opportunity for some GAM Golf events, etc.  Here is a full list of Member Benefits for a full list.  All for $39.

Member Benefits
Related Pages

Track your game with an official GAM/USGA Handicap Index powered by GHIN - including online score posting
  Hotel and resort discounts from Affinity Travel as well as special discounts on sporting events, concerts and theatre shows.
  Swing & Save (show your GAM Golf Card) and receive discount golf at 100-plus Michigan courses, including a large bucket for the price of a medium at Carl’s Golfland.
  GAM Golf Days: Play some of the state’s top private and public clubs and resorts starting at $60.
  Annual Michigan Links Course Directory magazine that includes Golf Day and tournament schedules and special coupons from our sponsors.
  Free access to GolfShot for GAM members and special pricing on the premium version of Golf Shot for GAM members.
  Annual subscription to Golf Digest magazine
  Biweekly Michigan E-Links newsletter to keep you updated on everything GAM!
  GAM events and tournaments for all ages and skill levels
  Get 10% off regular prices at Dunham’s Sports when you show your GAM membership card plus special offers for GAM members throughout the year.
  Win FREE prizes at gam.org and through our various social media - GAM members can enter various online contests to win free golf, and much more!
  Hole-in-One Certificate for those who notch an ace.
  Discounted tickets to the West Michigan Golf Show.
  Receive Destination KOHLER gift card with a Golf Kohler or Dye-Abolical package when booking your getaway.
  Special offers on Golf Travel from Sullivan Golf & Travel
  Receive 20% off full price Linksoul apparel! Visit Linksoul.com and use the promo code GAM20. One time use per member.
  Digital subscription to GolfWeek Magazine.
  Special offers from Imperial Headwear. For the GAM Collection, click HERE.
  Receive 20% off all Rocket Tour Knit Headcovers including the GAM x Rocket Tour Collection. Visit RocketTour.com and use member promo code GAM20.
Edited by StuM
Attempting to fix link, posted list instead

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

11 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

That’s how I felt too haha.

I also live in an area where mediocre public courses charge triple digits on the weekends simply because they can, so the $60 is pretty tame comparatively.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Yours comes with sunshine and warm weather! Mine is only good for 7 months.

Very true.  If we broke it down by how much we’re each paying per (golfable) day, the price would be a lot more similar. 🙂

Regarding other benefits, as far as I know the only one I’ve ever taken advantage of is a chance to play a lot of the private courses around here.  SCGA has “member outings” to a lot of nice private courses in the area (and some resort courses at discounts) which is a nice thing.

Edited by Golfingdad
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Very true.  If we broke it down by how much we’re each paying per (golfable) day, the price would be a lot more similar.

Correct.  Posting scores almost every day in California can burn up those USGA servers.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

In Northern California, you get reduced fees at the two courses owned by the NCGA (Northern California Golf Association): Poppy Ridge and Poppy Hills. They are open to anyone, but having an NCGA membership greatly reduces the green fees. You also get access to NCGA run tournaments and a magazine, in print (every other month?) and some newsletters via email, much more frequently. Also, like @Golfingdad said, your NCGA membership gives access to "member for a day" events at some participating private clubs (including the prestigious Olympic Club at Lake Merced).

BTW, I get my handicap through my Associate Club (club without an actual golf course, roaming around for tournaments), and they charge $80, but I think $40 to $50 of that is to pad up the prize money fund of those tournaments: we only add $5 to the green fees when entering a tournament, so that almost doubles it, and gives an incentive for people to play in those tournaments (or that $40-50 is "wasted").

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

In Virginia, handicap subscription through a club includes membership in the VSGA.  That membership includes eligibility to VSGA events, a bi-monthly Virginia Golfer Magazine and a subscription to Golf Digest, and some free educational opportunities regarding Rules and Handicaps.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.