IGNORED

Quote "That's Not My Problem"

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I can comment on the second scenario (failing student). That particular response is the norm where I am a teaching. I am sure that it's not like that everywhere so please don't tell me "that's not how it is here", I'm just stating something that I see almost every day. Actually the majority of kids I teach, parents either don't care or are not educated enough to help their own kids. And unfortunately that pattern continues to grow. Most of these students don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of but mom and dad have new cell phones and plenty of tats so at least they have that covered. Meanwhile their kids come to school with a blanket wrapped around them because they don't have coats. Like the previous poster said...."the train has left the station". Frankly....I just don't understand it.  

What’s your take on what appears to be an epidemic of ‘laziness’ with 13-16 year olds? I’m struggling with my 14 year old. Smart kid but literally just doesn’t do the work and says, ‘ I’ll never use trigonometry. It’s a waste of my time.’ How the hell does one get an A in chemistry and an F in PE? 🙄

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Most of my street are boomers and they act like that. I don’t think it’s generational. It’s  more a personality trait.

I think they are being influenced by their grandchildren and social media which I am happy to report that I am off of permanently.

free freedom GIF

- Shane

I tell this story often. At a previous course I worked at, I was working shop/carts for a big-ish tourney. A brewery sponsored a hole and had 2 guys with 2 kegs on a tee box. Obviously they weren’t going to just sit there and not drink.

Anyway, end of the day, they are packing up and driving one of the course gators back. One of the turns to a bridge across a small stream is a bit sharper turn than first imagining. Mr drunk, isn’t paying attention and doesn’t quite make the turn and everything flips. Luckily the left over beer wasn’t on this trip of theirs. They walk out of it ok, obviously shaken, but the gator is totaled and leaking oil/fluids into the stream, which had already been on watch for conservation and chemical leakage.

I hadn’t been on job very long at this point. Go find higher powers right? Well head pro is out for day. Super is out for day, but the assistant was playing in this event. I go up to him saying there’s a situation, that I assumed he want to get on top of. And he says it, “Not my problem. I’m not on the clock.” Well get on the dam clock and go do the f***ing job. Nope. I was supposed to call the super and have him drive in to take care of it. Ok fine, but I’m still ticked off at this point at the response from management. Super says to put rags and stuff under the leak to try and prevent further damage, which I had done. 

Next day, I get called in by the boss and he says that I’m supposed to apologize to the assistant for asking him to work. Unbelievable. I had to do it.

I don’t know about how you all think of this, but thats straight BS in my book. If you’re management and there is a potential emergency on the course and you are on site, get up off your ass and go help, or the excuse had be better than “I’m not on the clock.”

I get it, you want to play and have a day off because you work a lot. But as management, you are supposed to carry more responsibility. Well, brewery ended up buying the course a new gator, and I didn’t stay long there. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Recent interaction with  the mom of one of my students, we tell her that the kid is failing because he is playing video games instead of "attending" his classes virtually. She says she can't take away the PlayStation because the kid and his brother paid for it with their own money. 🤬

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Recent interaction with  the mom of one of my students, we tell her that the kid is failing because he is playing video games instead of "attending" his classes virtually. She says she can't take away the PlayStation because the kid and his brother paid for it with their own money. 🤬

That is where you get the screw driver out and mess with the PS. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

I tell this story often. At a previous course I worked at, I was working shop/carts for a big-ish tourney. A brewery sponsored a hole and had 2 guys with 2 kegs on a tee box. Obviously they weren’t going to just sit there and not drink.

Anyway, end of the day, they are packing up and driving one of the course gators back. One of the turns to a bridge across a small stream is a bit sharper turn than first imagining. Mr drunk, isn’t paying attention and doesn’t quite make the turn and everything flips. Luckily the left over beer wasn’t on this trip of theirs. They walk out of it ok, obviously shaken, but the gator is totaled and leaking oil/fluids into the stream, which had already been on watch for conservation and chemical leakage.

I hadn’t been on job very long at this point. Go find higher powers right? Well head pro is out for day. Super is out for day, but the assistant was playing in this event. I go up to him saying there’s a situation, that I assumed he want to get on top of. And he says it, “Not my problem. I’m not on the clock.” Well get on the dam clock and go do the f***ing job. Nope. I was supposed to call the super and have him drive in to take care of it. Ok fine, but I’m still ticked off at this point at the response from management. Super says to put rags and stuff under the leak to try and prevent further damage, which I had done. 

Next day, I get called in by the boss and he says that I’m supposed to apologize to the assistant for asking him to work. Unbelievable. I had to do it.

I don’t know about how you all think of this, but thats straight BS in my book. If you’re management and there is a potential emergency on the course and you are on site, get up off your ass and go help, or the excuse had be better than “I’m not on the clock.”

I get it, you want to play and have a day off because you work a lot. But as management, you are supposed to carry more responsibility. Well, brewery ended up buying the course a new gator, and I didn’t stay long there. 

Just a compliment to Phillyk here.  I can text him at any hour and get course information. And he's not even on the clock when I'm texting.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What’s your take on what appears to be an epidemic of ‘laziness’ with 13-16 year olds? I’m struggling with my 14 year old. Smart kid but literally just doesn’t do the work and says, ‘ I’ll never use trigonometry. It’s a waste of my time.’ How the hell does one get an A in chemistry and an F in PE? 🙄

Just sing her the Trigonometry Song!

Sine Sine everywhere a Sine

Loving Trigonometry, Blowin’ my Mind

Tangent, Secant, Cosine and Sine!

The second verse is about reciprocal functions.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think Middle school/early high school are the most awkward times. I think some boys figure out who the "athletes" are and think they can't compete so they just shut it down. I can even break this further down based on culture etc.  I think some kids decide they are going to be the "smart" student instead of the Jock, burn out, or whatever. Keep the faith, it usually turns around when they get a little older and develop some more confidence. Not to mention the inevitable questioning of authority. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Just curious, do the parents smoke cigarettes? 

I ask because I volunteer serving food each week. I see a lot of parents who can't afford 3 squares for their kids, yet smoke a pack a day at 8 bucks a pack. Almost makes me cry. 

Oh yea....among other things.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

34 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Just sing her the Trigonometry Song!

Sine Sine everywhere a Sine

Loving Trigonometry, Blowin’ my Mind

Tangent, Secant, Cosine and Sine!

The second verse is about reciprocal functions.

Trigonometry is difficult.  Why isn't there a song for golf?

52 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

think Middle school/early high school are the most awkward times. I think some boys figure out who the "athletes" are and think they can't compete so they just shut it down

Well my 14 year old is a jock. He’s a great baseball player and has always done well in school...advanced programs ...all that. Now in 9th grade he simply doesn’t turn his work in. He’s has aspirations of playing MLB but knows how slim the chances are. I try to explain he’s gotta realize that college is his route and that he can’t attend college with this lackadaisical attitude. He says ‘ whatever...I can always just make money on the stock market.’🙄

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

51 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well my 14 year old is a jock. He’s a great baseball player and has always done well in school...advanced programs ...all that. Now in 9th grade he simply doesn’t turn his work in. He’s has aspirations of playing MLB but knows how slim the chances are. I try to explain he’s gotta realize that college is his route and that he can’t attend college with this lackadaisical attitude. He says ‘ whatever...I can always just make money on the stock market.’🙄

Sign him up online on one of the free sites where you can play the market as if you were spending the money.  He may find out soon enough that playing the stock market is a tough road to haul.  Or he may be good at it.

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Trigonometry is difficult.  Why isn't there a song for golf?

There is. It’s called the double bogey blues. I sing it a lot. 

Added: In the 7-8 months that it’s actually warm enough to play in this dreadful state I live in. 

- Shane

9 hours ago, phillyk said:

Could you just imagine a nurse or physician somewhere and a person has a heart attack...."Sorry, I'm off the clock, call my office for an appointment."  We understand that sometimes people need to relax and "Get away from the office" but also need to understand sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and I/we/they/you need to use our skills and knowledge even when off the clock.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I can tell you this...not sure about baseball but I do know football recruiting pretty well. When I started coaching the scouts would come in and ask, "what's his 40 time", what's his bench, squat, power numbers"? Stuff like that. In the past 7-8 years it has changed to, "I need at least a 3.2 and a 1400 sat". What have you got? That does not pertain to all the kids out there but it does matter to the bulk of them. It does sound like he's a pretty good thinker for a 14 year old so you got that going for you. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

We are all Indifferent at some level. I do agree though that self-absorption has gotten worse. 

I find it an acquired trait and as a gross generalization - denser the population, less the people care. As far as get-off-my-lawn suburban dicks - they usually are the ones that have migrated from a rat-race and recently/finally come into some 'peace', making them determined to not let it get robbed. 😄

I agree with @Bucki1968, kids are kids. If there is enough in their seed, nature or nurture, they will eventually come into it. With my pre-teen and teen, we just keep ploughing and hope for the best.  It's the indifference of grown ups that does the most damage anyway. But hey there's only so much I can care about before I need to be cared for.. 😊 

Vishal S.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:28 AM, saevel25 said:

That is where you get the screw driver out and mess with the PS. 

A hammer is much quicker and painless....  Then they should state "Not my problem" 🙂
But seriously, what ever happened to "Time Outs" or "Suspension of Use"
Bad or poor parenting traits ??? 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 1134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!