IGNORED

How to Improve as a Senior (60+)

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm almost 100% certain that your Dad doesn't have the expertise to properly evaluate his own swing video.  If he's open to the idea of instruction, try to get him to set up an account here and post his swings in the My Swing section.

I would beg to differ. He evaluates many swings for me and his mates. Most of us benefit from his evaluations, and save a few bob at the same time.

23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Decision-making might use some improvement.  @JuliWooli, you might consider gifting your Dad a copy of Lowest Score Wins. I've been playing for 50 years or so, but I learned some new things and revised/refined my on-course thinking a bit, for the better I believe.

He loves his Shoemaker and Gallwey stuff. He swears by them.

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Aimpoint instruction could definitely help.  

Thanks, I will be reading into that!

As for becoming a member here. Not his thing unfortunately.

19 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

His main problem is flexibility and he has developed a flat 3/4 swing.

You rather tersely responded to my thoughtful post, "Equipment is fine"

How do you know?  

My driver clubhead speed dropped from 122 to 113 in 5 years, but more importantly the length of my backswing put different demands on the shaft.   Getting close to my mid-60's, I can still hit it decent but nothing like my youth.  I personally found a change of shafts to help, especially with spin and distance control.   

I know of a very good golf specific physical therapy approach.  Often us older people spend too much time sitting and the psoas muscles get very tight.  I'll try to look it up for u

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am by no means on the level with some posters and the only thing in common is getting old (I'm 65) but I have found an enjoyment to the game again.  I have found that leaving the putter in the living room with a couple balls has vastly improved my game and attitude (towards putting and getting old); not for speed of roll or such, but to develop and practice a consistent stroke, a consistent set-up.  It's fairly rewarding to see the results of this type practice (it seems so simple and unimportant).  My approach to putting and (especially) results on 6 feet and in are stroke savers for sure.  And the consistency also has positive impact on the longer rolls; I rarely leave these short now.  Also, practice putting with right hand only (I saw Tiger practice this) for developing that smooth consistent senior stroke.

As far as tee to green, I've found that changing tees (shortening the course) has greatly changed my attitude to the game.

1 hour ago, Rippy_72 said:

You rather tersely responded to my thoughtful post, "Equipment is fine"

How do you know?

Sorry Rippy. If you knew my dad you'd understand. He hates all that stuff. Things like...

Look at these wankers with their rangefinders, shaft tweaking and a bag full of expensive clubs that some salesman told them would make them better. Technique is his thing and he has nothing against a little exercise.

1 hour ago, Rippy_72 said:

I know of a very good golf specific physical therapy approach.  Often us older people spend too much time sitting and the psoas muscles get very tight.  I'll try to look it up for u

That would be nice of you.

I have to admit I'm jealous that both father and daughter play so well and get to compete against each other regularly.  I live 350 miles from my son, and my worst scoring rounds playing with him are better than my best scoring rounds without.  Regarding the 3/4 swing, Doug Tewell had a pretty good senior tour career after an injury forced him to adopt a 3/4 swing, and the shorter swing can help to protect your dad's rotator cuff and allow him to continue playing with you (who I'm betting is his favorite golf partner!)    

18 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Sorry Rippy. If you knew my dad you'd understand. He hates all that stuff. Things like...

Look at these wankers with their rangefinders, shaft tweaking and a bag full of expensive clubs that some salesman told them would make them better. Technique is his thing and he has nothing against a little exercise.

If he disdains outside instruction, if he disdains equipment changes, the age-related erosion of skills is going to continue.  That may seem harsh, but a player has to be open to change if he wants to improve.  A good friend of mine is about 60 now, is continually evaluating equipment changes, continues to get instruction, continues to try variations to his putting stroke.  He continues to try to compete against his youngest son, whose handicap is in the +4 or +5 range.  He knows he's overmatched, but he still plays off scratch.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

54 minutes ago, burr said:

I have found that leaving the putter in the living room with a couple balls

Great idea. I did this and he immediately picked it up and looks like a big kid who forgot how much fun this can be.

58 minutes ago, burr said:

As far as tee to green, I've found that changing tees (shortening the course) has greatly changed my attitude to the game.

Not for him, he still wants to compete at normal level.

26 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

allow him to continue playing with you (who I'm betting is his favorite golf partner!)    

Yeah and him mine but he is becoming a grumpy old man.

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

a player has to be open to change if he wants to improve. 

His problem is flexibility and instruction would probably ignore that, instead persuading him to swing steeper when stretching exercises would suit him better. He knows how to steepen his swing, problem is his body doesn't allow him to at the moment. Anyway he still has a course of lessons that I booked for him 2 years ago. Big mistake.

As for equipment, he's got that covered. He changed from stiffer shafts to softer graphites not so long ago.

I think I'll ask him a couple of questions about Gallwey's or Shoemaker's theories.

Problem is I haven't read any of that stuff for years.

1 minute ago, JuliWooli said:

I think I'll ask him a couple of questions about Gallwey's or Shoemaker's theories.

I'm not familiar with either, but a very quick search leads me to believe these are about attitude and mindset.  Lowest Score Wins is more about making the best possible decisions, club selection, where to aim, what to practice, etc, informed to a large extent by relatively modern Strokes Gained principles.  It might make a bit of difference for him, and for you as well.  I'm not sure how difficult it might be to obtain a copy in Europe.

As for instruction, a GOOD instructor will work within whatever physical limitations a player has.  A good instructor should also be able to recommend some stretching or other drills to help a player overcome those limitations to some extent.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

49 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Look at these wankers with their rangefinders, shaft tweaking and a bag full of expensive clubs that some salesman told them would make them better.

Your dad is a feisty one...

50 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

quick search leads me to believe these are about attitude and mindset.  

Both concern the concepts of the 'Inner Game.' Where using conscious commands to improve swing dynamics/movements are mediocre in comparison to feeling what it is that is not fluent in the movement. A rather quick assessment but along the right lines. My weakness recently was swaying too much to the right on my backswing and by feeling the weight remain on the inside of my right foot during the backswing I aged this problem.

That's enough about instruction, does anyone have any decent upper body stretches for a grumpy old father?

1 hour ago, JuliWooli said:

Great idea. I did this and he immediately picked it up and looks like a big kid who forgot how much fun this can be.

Not for him, he still wants to compete at normal level.

Yeah and him mine but he is becoming a grumpy old man.

Normal ?  One thing I know, You will not play in pain - and be happy or in a good mood or whatever you're looking for here.  If he's got a bad wing, he will be happier if he plays shorter more comfortable more playable shots.

and everbody else playing with him too.

Edited by burr

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Your dad is a feisty one...

Yeah, but fun to be around. He loves the way the game used to be played when men were men and daughters shouldn't be able to beat their fathers.

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, burr said:

Normal ?  One thing I know, You will not play in pain - and be happy or in a good mood or whatever you're looking for here.  If he's got a bad wing, he will be happier if he plays shorter more comfortable more playable shots.

I get your point but he doesn't ever play in pain, that's why his swing has shortened. His main thing is that the swing is free flowing and he can still get round easily to his present handicap. I am of the opinion that if I join him in some pre-season stretches to improve his/our flexibility that would be good. 

Thanks to everyone for discussing this, I do believe I know where I am going.

Just need a few relevant exercises.

50 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Thanks to everyone for discussing this, I do believe I know where I am going.

Indeed.

• You think you your father needs help.
  • He thinks he doesn't. But he's pissed off about not playing as well as he did a decade ago. Wow. How unusual!
  • He thinks he knows more than anyone else.
  • He rejects modern advancements in training and technology as fads.
  • You're keen to dismiss any advice you're given here, no matter how much effort people have put into their responses or how misguided it is.
  • You want medical/biomechanical advice and you turn to a golf forum, not medical professionals.
  • Your father is over 60 and can comfortably play to 5. You see this as a problem.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

12 minutes ago, Shorty said:
  • You think you your father needs help.
  • He thinks he doesn't. But he's pissed off about not playing as well as he did a decade ago. Wow. How unusual!

• He thinks he knows more than anyone else.
  • He rejects modern advancements in training and technology as fads.
  • You're keen to dismiss any advice you're given here, no matter how much effort people have put into their responses or how misguided it is.
  • You want medical/biomechanical advice and you turn to a golf forum, not medical professionals.
  • Your father is over 60 and can comfortably play to 5. You see this as a problem.

Wow! I'm impressed. That about sums it all up perfectly. Thank you.

3 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

4 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

Call me a wanker then.  🙂  I first broke 80 in 1969 on caddies' day and really have not be a lousy 5 handicap since a kid.  🙂   I put my own shafts in and think the right ones are important.  The first time I was fitted, I went from S300 shafts to X100 hard stepped.  First round with these, I birdied the first three holes, made a hole in one, and two other birdies albeit without a rangefinder.  I like my Skycaddie a lot.    I don't like salesmen or women.  I had worked with a golf Physcal therapist using "Body Balance"  and it helped with flexibility and got me distance back after a period when I was working 80-100 hours per week flying all over the world.  My mid section was stiff and I could not make the magic move at the top.   GL to your dad.

Note: This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!