IGNORED

Get Used to Playing With Golfers Who Get on Your Nerves, or Not?

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

I have a select group who I will happily play with but unfortunately for tournament play I don't have that choice. 

I don't consider myself over fussy but slow play and bad etiquette really get on my nerves. Unfortunately our small club likes to mix the handicaps in too many tournaments for my liking and I have to play too often with golfers I would normally not/never play with. 

For a while, I thought this was just part of the game and bit bullet and went through many miserable rounds. However, my skill levels and enjoyment of the game suffered.

I now only play in tournaments where the groups are sent out related to handicap but that leaves me playing in a fraction of the tournament calendar.

Am I alone?

It sounds like you've made the choice to play fewer tournaments. I doubt you're alone but I'd bet you were in the minority. In any event, only you can make that choice for you by deciding which is more important to you. I would suggest that it's stress and strife that make you stronger so playing with annoying people now and then can help your coping skills when the big one is on the line. Somehow learn to shut out the rectal orifices and idiots, if you can, and concentrate on your own game. If someone makes a positive comment on a shot into the rough try smiling and saying thank you. Just because they're thoughtless doesn't mean they were intending to be rude.

I can also tell you that not all high handicappers are slow players. You can see my handicap but I guarantee that I can keep up with you on the course (unless we're carrying bags, of course. Heck I am pushing 70, you know!). If you're not enjoying the game by all means make whatever changes you need to make so that you do enjoy it. I think it's better to play a few tournaments that you really enjoy than many that you don't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As for getting paired with "Problem Golfers" in my league I kept getting sent out with this one guy who was clueless on pace of play and "Ready Golf".  It seemed I was sent out with him almost every week.  This year I am taking over the league and mentioned this to the prior president and he said he did that intentionally because I had the balls to tell the slow player get ready & hit.  This year I will be sending that slow player out with last year's president each week.  Turnabout is fair play, right?

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I hope you get to see this response as I've heard that I've been blocked. 

Yes I agree the organizer had the events set up to mix up pairings.
The events however do not really draw players who intend to be competitive, but
rather players who get an opportunity to play at nice, private courses.
Plus the price is reasonable which leads to an opportunity for players who seldom play competitive golf.
Not saying it's a bad thing, just not what I was expecting and looking for.
I thought it would be an opportunity to golf with players at my ability level and to meet players from around the state.
The season long events play at numerous courses which is also an attraction for weekend duffers.
Not so much those who are competitive players.
Plus on that particular day, the 6 hour round, it was at a premier course and the field was full beyond reason.
Shot gun, morning and afternoon with 2 groups per hole and possibly a 3rd group on par 5's

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

10 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

You're kidding, right? :-)

Yes, I'm kidding.

3 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Plus on that particular day, the 6 hour round, it was at a premier course and the field was full beyond reason.
Shot gun, morning and afternoon with 2 groups per hole and possibly a 3rd group on par 5's

Yeah, that's a crowded field. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

56 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

So to sum it up, I don't mind mixed handicap events, but prefer to play with players of the same ability in competition. 

I agree.

Most individual sports thrive on keeping it competitive. The only players benefiting from mixed handicap events are the higher handicappers. My game has never profited from playing with such players. I am however being a little selfish as I played most of my youth with my dad but that was my birth right. In tournaments however we were sent out according to our handicap and the status quo at my present club is just wrong. I'll gladly play the odd mixed one but would expect the vast majority to be based on handicap.

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Starting 2 groups per hole can work but I've never seen 3 groups, even on a Par-5.  IMO starting 3 groups on the Par 5's is just asking to get backed up.  The first group off the prior hole will be on the tee at the Par-5  and most likely need to wait.  Instant back-up.   

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I only play in one competitive event each year. I always play in the net/handicap flight because my index isn't low enough for the championship/gross flight. Initially the pairings in the flight I play in appear to be set up based on handicap index, but the second round is based on scores from the first round. Over two days of golf, I have never noticed any difference between playing with low and high index players with regards to pace of play. Some are fast, some are slow. I am a quick player, so I find most other players slow, and I have learned to deal with that.

I've never had any etiquette concerns in competitive play. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Now in my regular, weekly play at local, public courses, there are plenty of etiquette and pace of play issues.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

40 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

That's it, I won't be able to sleep tonight. I can't get that nightmare out of my head. You're on my possible block list for that. :bugout:

24 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I have never noticed any difference between playing with low and high index players with regards to pace of play.

The main difference is practice swings. The higher the handicap, the longer the pre-shot routine. I'm sure a non golfer would think a practice swing looks like a fresh air shot/miss. I don't take a practice swing, like most better players I know. What do you call it in English when you make small moves/presses before you swing?

9 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

What do you call it in English when you make small moves/presses before you swing?

A waggle.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

What do you call it in English when you make small moves/presses before you swing?

I call them rehearsals.

Edit: @DaveP043 is right. I am talking about what I do right before I address the ball.

The main difference is practice swings. The higher the handicap, the longer the pre-shot routine.

I notice this as well with higher handicap players (in general, not all of them). Usually, starts with a rangefinder to get exact distance, then club selection, and then 4-5 full speed swings next to the ball, then maybe wiping the clubface off, 1-2 more practice swings, and then hitting the ball.

That said, I think most people on this forum are more in tune with the ready golf concept and maintaining a good pace of play.

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

That said, I think most people on this forum are more in tune with the ready golf concept and maintaining a good pace of play.

As I mentioned on another thread, I had a break from golf, and when I returned there were two big changes. Ready Golf and choice to leave the stick in the hole. Great changes. They can only be good for the game. Best change since they did away with the stymie. (My dad continued to play it during fun matchplay rounds)

Having the flag unattended suits me better that a jittery idiot playing with his balls as you putt from distance.

Ready golf is super. The idea of 'the honour' has been lost but normally as I almost always play with men it rarely affects me.

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

A waggle.  

Really, is that not something you do with your hips/bum when you are dancing?

3 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Having the flag unattended suits me better that a jittery idiot playing with his balls as you putt from distance.

And players who Pick their Arse and Nose ,,, LOL
Better yet are the players who jingle coins in their pockets right in your backswing.

5 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Really, is that not something you do with your hips/bum when you are dancing?

Rather than discuss the not-too-attractive idea of me dancing, I'll refer you to this old article from Golf Digest:

1573463881913.jpeg

Tom Watson: Staying in motion stops tension from setting in

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Rather than discuss the not-too-attractive idea of me dancing, I'll refer you to this old article from Golf Digest:

1573463881913.jpeg

Tom Watson: Staying in motion stops tension from setting in

Yes the waggle.

My dad loves Tom Watson. His gay side does emerge occasionally.

3 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

That's it, I won't be able to sleep tonight. I can't get that nightmare out of my head. You're on my possible block list for that. :bugout:

this is becoming quite the list!  😉  I'm starting to think that being on your list is pretty grand!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Sergio would put me to sleep during his early days.  :zzz:
While many others used the "waggle" routine, Dufner is the one I'll always remember.

Just now, dennyjones said:

this is becoming quite the list!

I think we have a "Live One" here Denny,,,,  LOL

Note: This thread is 1104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!