Jump to content
IGNORED

I Built My Own Swing Path Training Aid


Recommended Posts

Okay, I've been working hard on my swing this off-season. You can check out My Swing Thread for updates. 

 

The first thing I needed to do was get my club-face under control, so I worked on that all December and January. This month I've been working on my swing path. I'm trying to get it to be relatively straight toward the target. To do that I've been exaggerating the in-to-out path. Since my recent tendency is out to in. 

I think its really improving. Here's what I built at the start of February and I believe its working for me. I've been using it in my basement all month. 

It pretty much looks like this:

20210221_163339.thumb.jpg.2f5cd3735ec6f0a7aa2bc0d54cb1c865.jpg

Basically its an old piece of carpet I put some holes in and then stuck those rubber tees through the holes. 

I found that 5/8" diameter pipe insulation ($1.12 for 8 feet at Home Depot) fits perfectly and relatively tightly on those rubber tees. So I cut a bunch of different lengths and I can stick them on the tees, causing them to stick up. You can even "shape" the pipe insulation a bit to lean them in any direction you'd like. 

I actually have about a half dozen different holes in this chunk of carpet so I can position the insulation tubes in a bunch of different spots depending on what I might be working on. Some are closer to where I put the ball some are further. I think you get the idea. 

20210221_163402.thumb.jpg.8be967b127d44fb5c7049765d8252fc0.jpg

Anyway, if you hit the pipe insulation, it's no problem the chunks just go flying harmlessly into the net. 

1641588395_pathtraining.thumb.jpg.a668650ee2c9ee5ae577ffea62a9b1ab.jpg

Anyway, it's a super cheap training aid that took me just over 10 minutes and almost no cost to make. Conceivably you could set it up to train any path you'd like. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I've been working hard on my swing this off-season. You can check out My Swing Thread for updates. 

 

The first thing I needed to do was get my club-face under control, so I worked on that all December and January. This month I've been working on my swing path. I'm trying to get it to be relatively straight toward the target. To do that I've been exaggerating the in-to-out path. Since my recent tendency is out to in. 

I think its really improving. Here's what I built at the start of February and I believe its working for me. I've been using it in my basement all month. 

It pretty much looks like this:

20210221_163339.thumb.jpg.2f5cd3735ec6f0a7aa2bc0d54cb1c865.jpg

Basically its an old piece of carpet I put some holes in and then stuck those rubber tees through the holes. 

I found that 5/8" diameter pipe insulation ($1.12 for 8 feet at Home Depot) fits perfectly and relatively tightly on those rubber tees. So I cut a bunch of different lengths and I can stick them on the tees, causing them to stick up. You can even "shape" the pipe insulation a bit to lean them in any direction you'd like. 

I actually have about a half dozen different holes in this chunk of carpet so I can position the insulation tubes in a bunch of different spots depending on what I might be working on. Some are closer to where I put the ball some are further. I think you get the idea. 

20210221_163402.thumb.jpg.8be967b127d44fb5c7049765d8252fc0.jpg

Anyway, if you hit the pipe insulation, it's no problem the chunks just go flying harmlessly into the net. 

1641588395_pathtraining.thumb.jpg.a668650ee2c9ee5ae577ffea62a9b1ab.jpg

Anyway, it's a super cheap training aid that took me just over 10 minutes and almost no cost to make. Conceivably you could set it up to train any path you'd like. 

Ha! I just read this and laughed out loud. 
I wrote in the bottom picture that I swing to the left of that second piece of pipe insulation. I actually swing to the right of it. I'm an idiot. Can't tell left from right some days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

May I suggest an improvement to your training aid?

I'm always looking for suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm always looking for suggestions. 

I was thinking about the game Operation years ago and how it would be good to apply that to a training aid. Perhaps a loud buzzer with a bright light when you contact one of the posts would be very effective. Integrating with a shock collar would be even more effective. With that being said, positive reinforcement is even better. Perhaps missing them would present you with a treat of some kind.

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Glad you spotted it. I was going to have to say something, and then you'd undoubtedly blame your education. 🙂

Naw, I'm going to go with not enough coffee today on this one. 

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I was thinking about the game Operation years ago and how it would be good to apply that to a training aid. Perhaps a loud buzzer with a bright light when you contact one of the posts would be very effective. Integrating with a shock collar would be even more effective. With that being said, positive reinforcement is even better. Perhaps missing them would present you with a treat of some kind.

I like that idea. I'm thinking an Almond M&M flung into my mouth each time I get it right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Naw, I'm going to go with not enough coffee today on this one. 

Boo! I was waiting for the catch-phrase! I guess you don’t want to wear it out before it takes

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I like that idea. I'm thinking an Almond M&M flung into my mouth each time I get it right. 

I assumed it would be a monitor displaying pics of scantily clad models.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Boo! I was waiting for the catch-phrase!

I can't resist....................

What do you want from me???

I went to a hooker in East Berlin!

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can't resist....................

What do you want from me???

I went to a hooker in East Berlin! 

Holy shit! I didn't type that!

How'd you do that? 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
Spelling Error - Chicago Public Schools
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can't resist....................

What do you want from me???

I went to a hooker in East Berlin! 

Holy shit! I didn't type that!

How'd you do that? 

I don’t think that was it. But ok?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I don’t think that was it. But ok?

I have no idea how, but somebody is f-ing with me. I'm impressed and totally confused at the same time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have no idea how, but somebody is f-ing with me. I'm impressed and totally confused at the same time. 

So...You didn’t visit a hooker?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love your DIY basement inventiveness! Kudos. 

On another note - that east Berlin thing happened on a post I was writing yesterday. I couldn't get it to go away so I figured it was a karmic intervention and canceled the post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Another not hopeless round of 93 with a lot to work on yesterday.  Fairways 5/14, Greens 5/18 and, 37!! (only one 3-putt) putts, with 6 doubles and a tripple. 5 balls in the water and not making a single putt outside 5 feet is not the recipe for success...  I definitely make a lot of good shots, but with 50% of my teeshots missing left (18% right) I know what I need to work on.   
    • Nice. I’ve got the second generation sensors as well, so I’d like to use them as long as I can. I’ve got a few putter sensors that have gone dead (I assume from the battery) that I can try this out on. 
    • Voted no. I think armlock putting looks kind of weird, especially the Zalatoris armlock claw stroke and Bryson's robotic motion, but I don't really care (I have a LAB DF 2.1, so it's not like my putter looks cool or anything). I don't see a reason to ban armlock as compared to the broomstick or belly putters which actually seem to have an anchor point.
    • Anyone gaming a set of these, I've bought a set of these irons off ebay. I'm feeling the difference between swinging my 6 iron and my wedge, want to try Brysons method of one swing. If you've tried AGX I'd appreciate your feedback, thanks..
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. colegolf1
      colegolf1
      (23 years old)
    2. mittens
      mittens
      (55 years old)
    3. Northwoods88
      Northwoods88
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...