IGNORED

Tiger Woods in Car Crash in California

Herkimer

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
tiger-woods-crash-03.jpg?quality=90&stri

The LA County Sheriff’s Office is expected to announce Wednesday that Tiger Woods...

The points are my thoughts...

1. He was going way too fast

2. He should have been tested for a DUI ( I expect the cops think that he was in such a bad way that any investigation was not really going to do any thing of worth)

3.He’s amazingly lucky to be alive

4. I hope he recovers

5. and he doesn’t drive at almost double the speed limit again. 

6. In the UK he would certainly have been drink and drug tested, and probably charged with a low level Careless Driving offence.

Edited by Beastie
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Beastie said:
tiger-woods-crash-03.jpg?quality=90&stri

The LA County Sheriff’s Office is expected to announce Wednesday that Tiger Woods...

The points are my thoughts...

1. He was going way too fast Yes

2. He should have been tested for a DUI ( I expect the cops think that he was in such a bad way that any investigation was not really going to do any thing of worth) Yes

3.He’s amazingly lucky to be alive Yes

4. I hope he recovers Yes

5. and he doesn’t drive at almost double the speed limit again. Yes

6. In the UK he would certainly have been drink and drug tested, and probably charged with a low level Careless Driving offence.

"Low level?" Jeez. After 15 years in the states, whenever I'm back home in the UK I have to remind myself that the speed limit isn't like the serving suggestion on a frozen food product. They seem to actually mean it over there. 87 in a 45? Is there enough space on a UK licence to write down all the points?

*There are plenty of states in the US, too, where that speed = Misdemeanor reckless driving. He's lucky the cops decided they didn't have the evidence to throw the book at him. Another strange feature of some US states (I don't know about California), the cop has to actually clock you, catch you, and then bother to show up in court to secure a conviction. Ask me how I know (or, maybe, don't...)

• Informative 1

13 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

*There are plenty of states in the US, too, where that speed = Misdemeanor reckless driving. He's lucky the cops decided they didn't have the evidence to throw the book at him. Another strange feature of some US states (I don't know about California), the cop has to actually clock you, catch you, and then bother to show up in court to secure a conviction. Ask me how I know (or, maybe, don't...)

That is why in Ohio, it was found unconstitutional to give people tickets based on speed cameras. They required a police officer to be present, operating the speed camera. 

In the USA, unless you are going throw a small village or town, I'd say 5 over in city limits and 10 over on the freeway are the upper limits to speeding in general. At least in Ohio. 

Both of my tickets have been for going like 72-75 in a 55. That was on a highway, not a winding hilly road. 

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

He should have been tested for a DUI ( I expect the cops think that he was in such a bad way that any investigation was not really going to do any thing of worth)

First, I am not a lawyer, just stating my understanding(s).

I disagree with the lack of alcohol/drug testing as being needed in this case.  I can't speak for the UK but in the US they need "Probable Cause" to conduct a sobriety test or check for drug/alcohol impairment.  The officers on the scene stated form the beginning they saw no evidence of impairment which is why the tests were not done.  That is the law here and I do not see this as him getting preferential treatment.

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That is why in Ohio, it was found unconstitutional to give people tickets based on speed cameras. They required a police officer to be present, operating the speed camera. 

In the USA, unless you are going throw a small village or town, I'd say 5 over in city limits and 10 over on the freeway are the upper limits to speeding in general. At least in Ohio. 

Both of my tickets have been for going like 72-75 in a 55. That was on a highway, not a winding hilly road. 

There's a beautiful stretch of road from Dayton, OH, to Charleston, WV. US-35. Four lane highway, empty once you get into the countryside. I found myself asking, "Why are all these locals with Ohio plates driving exactly on the speed limit?" Luckily, I saw the black & white snout of an Impala sticking out from behind a bush in the median, just in time.

12 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

There's a beautiful stretch of road from Dayton, OH, to Charleston, WV. US-35. Four lane highway, empty once you get into the countryside. I found myself asking, "Why are all these locals with Ohio plates driving exactly on the speed limit?" Luckily, I saw the black & white snout of an Impala sticking out from behind a bush in the median, just in time.

You must not have seen me on that road. 
road runner goodbye GIF by Looney Tunes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I got pulled over by a Texas State Trooper on the I10 between Katy and San Antonio doing about 80mph. I was the last in a convoy of about 20 cars all doing the same. Cue dust clouds and sirens as he turned through the central reservation like Smokey and the Bandit. Turns out he loved his golf and we spent ten minutes chatting about golf in Scotland and then I went on my way. The UK license probably meant more paper work too. 

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

As the saying goes, “9 you’re fine. 10 you’re mine.”

• Like 1