Jump to content
IGNORED

Tiger Woods in Car Crash in California


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, iacas said:
i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2021%2F0224%2F

Stephania Bell discusses Tiger Woods' injuries and what the possible next steps could be in his recovery.

 

Great fact based no BS commentary. Sounds like she filtered out a series of different and significant injuries.

He was well above average fit and hopefully will recover and return to a normal life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is St Andrews

Interesting Twitter thread from a doctor:  

What is the point of this?-So it was not an accident even though that is what we call things like this-Auto Accidents? Is anyone else as annoyed by the talking heads worrying or wondering when he

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I've always said an "accident" is when a meteor hits your house.  Almost everything else you have some control over.

This is foolish, and that is the kindest descriptor I could come up with.  Having some measure of control has nothing to do with something being an accident.  Unexpected and unintentional are the hallmarks of an accident, not whether there was any element of control.

20 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, the word "accident" is a misnomer.  Overly used by the human race to discount things we may have had a hand in.  In Tiger's case it is said he was going fast (the speed limit there is 45mph).  And apparently, he must have been somewhat inattentive to his surroundings, including the steep downhill slope.  If I'm skiing too fast, a bit out of control, and hit a tree, that is not an accident.  I could have prevented it.  What we don't know is if Tiger's brakes failed or if there was tire failure.  Since it wasn't his car and he had faith he was provided with a safe and fully-functioning car, then we could call it an accident.

So Mr. McGleno, let's call it an auto "crash".  More accurate.

Or maybe acquire a more accurate vocabulary, because this is nonsense.

19 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It comes down to the definition of "accident".  I've always been taught/understood that accidents are negligence or shared negligence. 

I still say it was a crash.

Semantics, perhaps.

You were taught wrong.  Lots of accidents happen that have nothing to do with negligence.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, turtleback said:

This is foolish, and that is the kindest descriptor I could come up with.  Having some measure of control has nothing to do with something being an accident.  Unexpected and unintentional are the hallmarks of an accident, not whether there was any element of control.

Or maybe acquire a more accurate vocabulary, because this is nonsense.

You were taught wrong.  Lots of accidents happen that have nothing to do with negligence.

It was a crash.  Turtleback, your post was an "accident".  😁😄😉

  • Booooooooo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It was a crash.  Turtleback, your post was an "accident".  😁😄😉

Nope.  It was intentional, and in light of your making up definitions of words, entirely expected.


And accident and crash are not only not mutually exclusive, virtually all crashes are accidents.

We have dictionaries to tell us what words mean and I doubt you can come up with a single one that supports your misdefinition.

Edited by turtleback
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My house burned down last week.  I was cooking something on the stove and ran down to the grocery store for an extra ingredient.  That's not an accident.

On a par 5 I had a 260 carry over water to reach the green in 2.  I went for it and the ball went in the water (hazard).  That was not an accident.  It was a failed thought process.

3 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Nope.  It was intentional, and in light of your making up definitions of words, entirely expected.

Does this mean you won't be giving my post a "like"?

P.S. - I have petitioned Merriam-Webster to come up with a 3rd definition of "accident".

  • Booooooooo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My house burned down last week.  I was cooking something on the stove and ran down to the grocery store for an extra ingredient.  That's not an accident.

On a par 5 I had a 260 carry over water to reach the green in 2.  I went for it and the ball went in the water (hazard).  That was not an accident.  It was a failed thought process.

Does this mean you won't be giving my post a "like"?

P.S. - I have petitioned Merriam-Webster to come up with a 3rd definition of "accident".

I tried to give you a like but I accidentally gave you a thumbs down.

And now I am out, as I'm sure this ot stuff is (rightfully) ticking off @iacas

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FFS give it a rest.

If a drunk driver deliberately runs into another car it is describers as "an accident" or "a car accident".

That doesn't mean it was accidental. The noun "accident" is used to describe a car crash. There is no implication of intent, guilt, innocence, negligence or whatever.

Any insurance policy will talk about "what to do after an accident", not a "crash".

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All I'm getting at is that way too many people blow off a calamity in which they were culpable and say, "Oh, it was an accident. 

My rental house burned down when I was out of state.  I hired an attorney to recoup my loss.  A city ordinance had been in place for a year that landlords were responsible for installing smoke alarms in their rental properties.  There was none and my close neighbors on both side of the house claimed they would have heard the alarm and acted faster in calling 911, thus saving most of my belongings, film equipment and my cat.  It was settled out of court as shared negligence.  He should have installed the smoke alarms... I should have called the missing alarms to his attention.  It wasn't an accident.

6 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I tried to give you a like but I accidentally gave you a thumbs down.

And now I am out, as I'm sure this ot stuff is (rightfully) ticking off @iacas

Thanks.  But good point.  I need to get back on topic.

  • Booooooooo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
33 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It was a crash.  Turtleback, your post was an "accident".  😁😄😉

I almost slipped on the ice. Had I fallen, it would have actually been described as an accident.

You are demonstrably, factually, provably wrong here @Double Mocha Man. AND off topic. Stop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

All I'm getting at is that way too many people blow off a calamity in which they were culpable and say, "Oh it was an accident".

Car crashes are called "car accidents" because it always sounds less violent than "smashes" or "crashes". Fires are called fires, not accidents. When people are killed in "car accidents" there is frequently someone who was responsible. They are still CALLED accidents. Rant over, returning to topic....

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Car crashes are called "car accidents" because it always sounds less violent than "smashes" or "crashes". Fires are called fires, not accidents. When people are killed in "car accidents" there is frequently someone who was responsible. They are still CALLED accidents. Rant over, returning to topic....

I wouldn't claim that to be true 100% of the time. It maybe the stance of some news sources, but I hear the word crash used enough. 

Its been a while since I reviewd my traffic engineering material, but they were pretty equivalent. Even when we looked at crashes with fatalities. For the most part, we called them crashes, not accidents. We would be reviewing the crash data not accident data. As a former traffic engineer, I wouldn't nit pick the usage of the word accident. Its a common term used in traffic engineering to describe any situation where a car crashes into another car, pedestrian, or non-moving object. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, the word "accident" is a misnomer.  Overly used by the human race to discount things we may have had a hand in.  In Tiger's case it is said he was going fast (the speed limit there is 45mph).  And apparently, he must have been somewhat inattentive to his surroundings, including the steep downhill slope.  If I'm skiing too fast, a bit out of control, and hit a tree, that is not an accident.  I could have prevented it.  What we don't know is if Tiger's brakes failed or if there was tire failure.  Since it wasn't his car and he had faith he was provided with a safe and fully-functioning car, then we could call it an accident.

So Mr. McGleno, let's call it an auto "crash".  More accurate.

The word was invented by the human race, has a pretty clear definition and your interpretation is wrong. 

Quote

accident

something bad that happens that is not expected or intended and that often damages something or injures someone

Let us know when the dictionaries are updated to the way you use the word. Unless you suggest Tiger ran off the road on purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

True... lots of warning lights on my dash... newer Audi... they are all into lights.  But none are illuminated regarding non-functioning airbags.

Since it's an Audi, I'm fairly certain you'll get a chance to see all of those warning lights soon enough :-D

 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, golfnz34me said:

Since it's an Audi, I'm fairly certain you'll get a chance to see all of those warning lights soon enough :-D

 

I do like that it tells me precisely which bulb is burned out.  Wish it would warn me of the labor costs for replacing a Xenon headlamp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

CBS is announcing that Tiger is being transferred to another hospital.

8 minutes ago, golfnz34me said:

Since it's an Audi, I'm fairly certain you'll get a chance to see all of those warning lights soon enough

We use to call them idiot lights (no... really!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

We use to call them idiot lights (no... really!)

But you'll never find me after dark driving without a headlight or brake light.  Until I replace the dang bulb my dash illuminates and dings every time I start the car.

Worse than a check engine light.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

So we've asked a few times that you get back on topic, and y'all just continue on? And a guy with 3244 posts is leading the pack, despite being the primary driver of the OT posts before the warnings/requests?

Disappointed. Hardly a big deal, so I'm keeping it in perspective, but do better guys.

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

CBS is announcing that Tiger is being transferred to another hospital.

gettyimages-95573400.jpg?w=1024

Tiger Woods has been moved to a different Los Angeles hospital following his rollover crash, sources said Thursday.

"Investigators say Woods has no memory of the crash Tuesday that shattered his right leg, ankle and foot."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I know we’re not even through the first day yet and that the guys playing well right now had favorable conditions this morning (softer greens), but the scoring right now makes me wonder a few things: - is this Torrey is as hard as Torrey back in ‘08? - are the guys that much better nowadays? - has equipment had something to do with it? - a combination of all the above?  - none of the above? 
    • Could be.  Axley's win was a long time ago;  for reference, Axley's sole PGA Tour win was Anthony Kim's first PGA Tour start. 
    • Again…you guys are really missing the point. I never said Rahm was a lock. But to ignore that Rahm had a six shot lead AND DIDN'T EVEN PLAY the final round is ridiculous. Norman blew a six shot lead. Palmer blew a six shot. But FFS…they PLAYED.  Here’s you guys’ logic: The fact that players with a six shot lead have lost the tournament means that Cantlay had no advantage having Rahm WD. Yeah ok. So what about all the times a player with the lead DID win? Huh? Nothing? Starting the last round six shots back is no worse than starting tied for the lead. Yeah. Got it.🙄
    • Yea that’s something to keep in mind, thanks. For those people who have a tendency to slam the clubs back in the bag after a bad shot, that is 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bucky207
      bucky207
      (47 years old)
    2. just pat
      just pat
      (78 years old)
    3. KSTEPH
      KSTEPH
      (60 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...