• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is St Andrews

Interesting Twitter thread from a doctor:  

What is the point of this?-So it was not an accident even though that is what we call things like this-Auto Accidents? Is anyone else as annoyed by the talking heads worrying or wondering when he

Posted Images

It sounds like a high energy crash, I hope he comes out of it with no serious permanent disability. Injuries that severe are going to take a lot of work in surgery and a lot of healing time and rehab. His poor family must be terrified for him.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe?

A part of me almost hopes it is. Maybe it'll force him to retire instead of clinging on for a long time. I'd almost selfishly only want him to come back if he's at least like 93% or something, and I don't know that he can be that.

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

It sounds like a high energy crash, I hope he comes out of it with no serious permanent disability. Injuries that severe are going to take a lot of work in surgery and a lot of healing time and rehab. His poor family must be terrified for him.

Let’s hope they are able to save both lower extremities. Depending on the severity of what they’re describing, loss of limb is an unfortunate possibility. This is tragic.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

tiger_car_on_truck.jpg

Kind of incredible how much the middle of the car is relatively intact.

Yeah, structurally build to be sacrificial. If this happens in an older model 15 years ago we would all be praying for his life instead of wondering if he will ever play golf again.

Hard to find a silver lining here, but really we oughta be thankful he ain't dead. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Let’s hope they are able to save both lower extremities. Depending on the severity of what they’re describing, loss of limb is an unfortunate possibility. This is tragic.

It's supposedly a broken ankle and a broken leg.

That hardly rises to the level of "loss of limb" IMO.

@Vinsk?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's supposedly a broken ankle and a broken leg.

That hardly rises to the level of "loss of limb" IMO.

@Vinsk?

Yeah no. In fact an orthopedic surgeon I just had dinner with was telling me this surgery is pretty straightforward..at least from the information we have now. 

• Thanks 1

I shattered my right ankle (Trimalleolar fracture) last Feb, got bunch of hardware and was out playing full time by July. 

Had I broken my left (am right handed) I would still not have bothered to touch a club. 

17 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Several years ago I directed a Subaru TV commercial.  It featured a gentleman who had been in a head-on crash in his Outback.  From the waist up he was fine... the airbag deployed and he was wearing his seatbelt.  There was intrusion into the footwell that damaged his legs and he was in a wheelchair. He was just happy to be alive.

• Thanks 1

So lower leg crush injury. Femur not damaged. I imagine the vascular issues are of most concern. Perfusion therapy and bone repair. This takes time. 

Much steeper road than I thought.  The "Trucks use lower gear" sign is several blocks before the crash.  And the "Escape Lane" sign is several blocks after the crash.Screenshot_20210223-185834.thumb.png.9190f70dae8d4eab4d046fcb582d7528.png

Screenshot_20210223-185218.png

Don’t cars have a black box? I guess any info from that will be withheld pending completion of a formal investigation though. Maybe there was a dashcam as well, assuming the storage card is intact. 

I heard somewhere that Tiger was running late because the valet was slow in getting the SUV to him.  Also, wondering if there was brake failure. That should be pretty easy to figure out. Police say there were no tire marks from braking.  Of course when you first jump the curb the vehicle is bouncing all around and your foot probably can no longer find the brake pedal.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

tiger_car_on_truck.jpg

Kind of incredible how much the middle of the car is relatively intact.

The front took the main collision and the back parts maybe from rolling over or spinning. That's what cars these days are supposed to look like after a head-on crash.

Here's a shot from a crash test of the GV80 on Youtube going at 56 kmh/35 mph:

GV80.jpg

The front part up to the wheel crumbles pretty easily to delay the impact. I read somewhere that he was going at some speed, but not how fast. Not that this would necessarily tell us the speed at impact. As the video and image above shows, at just 56 km/h the front up the wheel is crushed, which is not too different from the photos of his car. They don't want the car to keep crumbling obviously, so after the parts that are designed to slow the car down has done their job, you will reach a final impact no matter which speed you got, and the faster you went that faster you stop. At higher speeds parts will be forced into the front seats, usually near the legs first.

Nothing seems to have hit the side of the car on the photo with any significant force.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Ugh.  The way I read that is that he has multiple fractures/breaks in both the tibia and fibula of the right leg...in both upper AND lower parts of both bones.  So is right leg, ankle and foot is f#$*ed.