IGNORED

Tiger Woods in Car Crash in California

Herkimer
Note: This thread is 1086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hopefully he can come back and at least be able to get out and play with his kids.  Seems like he enjoyed playing with his son at the last father/son tournament. If he doesn't hit another competitive golf shot, that's okay with me. He's done enough. We got to see (maybe) the greatest player of all time do things I probably won't ever see again in my lifetime. Fortunate to see Tiger, Jordan, and Gretzky in my lifetime. Not too bad.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm just here for all the experts on automobile crush zones, build quality and ADAS.   🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I just read that he had a rod put in his tibia and had screws and pins in his ankle. It was a short update like that so I don't know the details (this is probably the link that @iacasshared but I cannot read anything Twitter related at work, so I apologize if this is a repost). They were also saying in the press conference last night that there was very little damage to the interior of the vehicle and that the jaws of life weren't used. They just had to use a pry bar to get him out.

Hopefully he recovers like others have said so that he can play golf with his kids. I think that and the fact that he is still alive is the main thing.

• Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Whatever. The Jaws of Life are just a strong way of bending metal. I don't know why that was such a prominent thing. It's just a tool.

The only reason it was a prominent thing is there were (and still are) very few facts to report so they reported what they could, even though of minor relevance.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

13 hours ago, iacas said:

A part of me almost hopes it is. Maybe it'll force him to retire instead of clinging on for a long time. I'd almost selfishly only want him to come back if he's at least like 93% or something, and I don't know that he can be that.

Same here. The guy won the masters after spinal fusion!. Perfect time to go out near the top. He's charismatic, ambitious, and obviously enjoys helping kids and others. Could do a lot more with his career now from behind the ropes than by hobbling around with a golf club. Not saying he *can't* come back, just saying he can do a lot more without coming back.

Edited by chspeed

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

I'll bet you also say a Lexus is a Toyota Camry.

Having owned Camrys and ES as daily mules, the body, motor, and suspension is identical.  From a safety perspective, there is no difference.

Calling me a racist is unacceptable.

24 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Calling me a racist is unacceptable.

I have to agree with this. I thought that was kind of out of left field....

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

That is pure racist crap.

Not cool.  

I'd like to see where the transmission entered the passenger compartment.  Maybe right around his lower right leg.  To my eyes, the photos make it appear that the motor and transmission breached the passenger compartment.  If so, is that good design?  Not something I want to own but I made my mind up long ago about which motor vehicle companies are serious about safety.

100% for sure, my car never would have left the road and the motor would not have been in my lap if I had the active lane assist and collision assist off.  If I slightly get near the center line, it steers me back.

Maybe Tiger did not have the vehicle's active lane assist activated.  Maybe he did.  The fact that there were no skid marks or any evidence of corrective measures is quite disturbing, almost as bad as those suggesting he might have been on pain meds.  Mgg's marketing literature claims, the GV80 will do everything possible to steer you out of harms way.  In other words, this active steering.  The vehicle takes over.  Clearly, the vehicle failed in this mission.  It is possible that Tiger disabled these safety systems?

How could the vehicle leave a two lane road into the oncoming two lane road without any skid marks?  Again, this vehicle comes standard with active lane keeping.

• Booooooooo 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Not cool.  

Move on. It’s been handled. Repeatedly.

13 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Not something I want to own but I made my mind up long ago about which motor vehicle companies are serious about safety.

So you’re close-minded. Got it. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

the motor would not have been in my lap

He could have shattered his leg because you use your right leg for the pedals, and it could have been jammed downward, rather than “the motor being in his lap.” C’mon man.

15 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

almost as bad as those suggesting he might have been on pain meds

No indication that’s the case here. Quit while you’re behind please. We’re not big fans of speculation here.

15 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Clearly, the vehicle failed in this mission.

More speculation, and this one labeled with “clearly.”

16 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Again, this vehicle comes standard with active lane keeping.

Lane keeping can turn off when you’re through an intersection where there aren’t any lanes.

Enough speculation man.

Stick to the facts. You don’t know much more than anyone else here, and at 45+ MPH I’m also pretty sure that if you’re taking on a “lane” with enough speed, it’s not going to jerk you right back to it. It’s generally for gentle lane departures.

As for whether that’s actually what happened here, that’s where you cross over into speculation. Stick to the facts.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

More speculation, and this one labeled with “clearly.”

Have you looked at the aerial photos of the roadway?

Have you reviewed the safety systems of the vehicle?  Do you understand how they are supposed to work?

Do you realize it has been reported by police that there were no skid marks?  Isn't this very odd?

Pray tell how a vehicle with active collision avoidance and active steering gets you into a ditch, after crossing multiple lanes, across the central median, thru two oncoming lanes?  No skid marks?

I pondered reasonable questions.  I consider your perspective pure speculation if you haven't looked at those facts.  It is astounding to me that a vehicle (unless it is a Tesla) with such systems could take or allow a driver to take  such a trajectory.  Perhaps you do not understand how these safety systems are supposed to work.

I recently considered both the G90 and GV80.  No impressed.  Hard pass.  Bought something else, based largely on my perception of safety.

• Booooooooo 1

5 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Have you looked at the aerial photos of the roadway?

Have you reviewed the safety systems of the vehicle?  Do you understand how they are supposed to work?

Do you realize it has been reported by police that there were no skid marks?  Isn't this very odd?

Pray tell how a vehicle with active collision avoidance and active steering gets you into a ditch, after crossing multiple lanes, across the central median, thru two oncoming lanes?  No skid marks?

I pondered reasonable questions.  I consider your perspective pure speculation if you haven't looked at those facts.  It is astounding to me that a vehicle (unless it is a Tesla) with such systems could take or allow a driver to take  such a trajectory.  Perhaps you do not understand how these safety systems are supposed to work.

I recently considered both the G90 and GV80.  No impressed.  Hard pass.  Bought something else, based largely on my perception of safety.

Lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah no. In fact an orthopedic surgeon I just had dinner with was telling me this surgery is pretty straightforward..at least from the information we have now. 

Thankfully you didn’t have dinner with a proctologist!

Sounds like they got to him quick enough to avoid amputation issues. I also think that being his right leg makes it more hopeful for full recovery for golf. Left leg is another story.

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

57 minutes ago, Rippy_72 said:

Not cool.  

I'd like to see where the transmission entered the passenger compartment.  Maybe right around his lower right leg.  To my eyes, the photos make it appear that the motor and transmission breached the passenger compartment.  If so, is that good design?  Not something I want to own but I made my mind up long ago about which motor vehicle companies are serious about safety.

100% for sure, my car never would have left the road and the motor would not have been in my lap if I had the active lane assist and collision assist off.  If I slightly get near the center line, it steers me back.

Maybe Tiger did not have the vehicle's active lane assist activated.  Maybe he did.  The fact that there were no skid marks or any evidence of corrective measures is quite disturbing, almost as bad as those suggesting he might have been on pain meds.  Mgg's marketing literature claims, the GV80 will do everything possible to steer you out of harms way.  In other words, this active steering.  The vehicle takes over.  Clearly, the vehicle failed in this mission.  It is possible that Tiger disabled these safety systems?

How could the vehicle leave a two lane road into the oncoming two lane road without any skid marks?  Again, this vehicle comes standard with active lane keeping.

It is too early to make any assumptions on what may or may not have occurred and what systems may or may not have been disabled.  Active braking, lane assist, etc. are not perfect in any car and accidents can and do occur even when those are functioning properly.  Trying to blame a person or a car at this point is nothing but pure speculation and I do not see where it serves any purpose.  Once facts are known and released then a discussion may be of value but until then it is all conjecture.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Hopefully he recovers like others have said so that he can play golf with his kids. I think that and the fact that he is still alive is the main thing.

This!
Because some how we forgot that at the end of the day, athletes just like everyone else, are just people! 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Interesting Twitter thread from a doctor:

That was a hopeful read. Since there's no mention of his back, I just assume the impact affected his lower body and not his back.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I'll take that a step further and say hopefully he can recover to play competitive golf again.  C'mon modern medicine!

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That was a hopeful read. Since there's no mention of his back, I just assume the impact affected his lower body and not his back.

I'm guessing his back did not appreciate all the jolting and rolling...

Note: This thread is 1086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!