IGNORED

A Reverse Texas Scramble

JuliWooli
Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've also played it by myself. Hitting two balls and always playing the worst one. 

I need to try both (2 and alone) funny alone never crossed my mind and when we used to organise one, six would mostly  turn up. Played with 4 once, what a nightmare. We should have played doubles instead. Stupid really. But funny, frustrating and mental. 

22 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This

I’m guessing he had more to say. 

Edited by JuliWooli

2 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

I need to try both (2 and alone) funny alone never crossed my mind and when we used to organise one six would aleays turn up. Played with 4 once, what a nightmare. 

Playing it alone is (in my opinion) a good way to practice. It puts more pressure on your second shot, especially if the first one is really good, because now you have to repeat it. 

It also can be a fun thing to do if you find yourself playing alone on a crowded course. (Not supposed to happen, but it does.) I mean, you are going to have to wait anyway. May as well have something to do. 

The first time I ever tried it was when a buddy of mine and I were the only twosome on a crowded and slow day. So, we each played two-shot-worse-shot against each other. That was actually a lot of fun. Especially when you make the first of 2 putts. Then you gotta repeat it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Isn't a Texas scramble where everyone tees off, you choose the best shot, then play your own ball from there rest of the hole? So a reverse Texas scramble would be simply taking the worst tee shot and all playing out from that spot which would take less time while still adding that challenge to the game. What you're describing is just a worst ball scramble which I have seen course vlogs of and doesn't seem all that enjoyable but could be fun for a couple holes with the right group. 

11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Playing it alone is (in my opinion) a good way to practice. It puts more pressure on your second shot, especially if the first one is really good, because now you have to repeat it. 

It also can be a fun thing to do if you find yourself playing alone on a crowded course. (Not supposed to happen, but it does.) I mean, you are going to have to wait anyway. May as well have something to do. 

The first time I ever tried it was when a buddy of mine and I were the only twosome on a crowded and slow day. So, we each played two-shot-worse-shot against each other. That was actually a lot of fun. Especially when you make the first of 2 putts. Then you gotta repeat it. 

You’ve sold me. I can’t wait for the new season to start. My dad and I will definitely be doing this. He knows this format. I would imagine it to be a great bottle tester. You say ‘bottle’ right. 

2 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Isn't a Texas scramble where everyone tees off, you choose the best shot, then play your own ball from there rest of the hole? So a reverse Texas scramble would be simply taking the worst tee shot and all playing out from that spot which would take less time while still adding that challenge to the game. What you're describing is just a worst ball scramble which I have seen course vlogs of and doesn't seem all that enjoyable but could be fun for a couple holes with the right group. 

It takes much longer. Putting alone, everyone must sink the putt   Then there’s lost balls, ob, bunker, bad approach, it’s endlessly slow with 3 or more and that is low handicaps

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hmm... not really.

German - we say “Flasche voll” it means the bottle is full. Which means strong character. 

I am sitting in the car workshop at the moment, a light came on for the third time this year. Its a sensor fault, they are changing it now. Takes longer than a f***ing reverse scramble. 🤬

14 hours ago, iacas said:

And if you're "attacking pins" you're not playing golf as well as you could be.

I don’t really get this. Shouldn’t we be aiming at the flag. Okay if it on the side of the green with high levels of danger, perhaps erring to the safer half would be better     
That aside, what’s up?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

My handicap is 3.8, not that it makes a big difference and our course has a rating of 124, not that difficult.

It doesn't really matter… you're not often breaking 90 if you're playing a reverse scramble with four 4-handicappers.

Its a fun variation

Agree to disagree… 🙂

Its a fun variation to the classic scramble and if you tried it you would understand what I mean about not attacking pins.

You missed the point: in your normal game you should not be doing anything remotely close to "attacking pins."

5 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

I don’t really get this. Shouldn’t we be aiming at the flag. Okay if it on the side of the green with high levels of danger, perhaps erring to the safer half would be better     
That aside, what’s up?

No, you shouldn't be aiming at the flag.

Heck…

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

yea, I don't think I would enjoy this. Worst Ball mighe be fun to try by yourself, but as a scramble it would be tiring. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The team has to play a careful game with constant reminders that attacking the course is unnecessary. How often would the worst ball be inside 15 - 20 feet from say 120 out. 

Never.  Or at least infrequently enough to be statistically negligible.

You're making it sound like when you and your buddies aren't playing this particular game the only reason they aren't several strokes better than they currently are is because of strategy.  I could buy that assertion only for the highest of handicaps. 4-5 handicaps know how to get around the course perfectly well enough that "constant reminders" aren't changing a whole lot.

And, again, to highlight how difficult I believe this game to be - even on that "perfect" hole where your worst shot is leaving you a 20' birdie putt, you're still almost certainly going to have one of the three putts be fairly poor, leaving something on the order of 3-4' for par.  The easiest of all holes for these people is still going to be a really stressful possible par.  Most decently played holes, I believe, will result in bogies; hence the estimate of low 90s on a good day. 🙂

Unrelated; I've never heard of these formats referred to as "Texas" scrambles, just "scrambles."  Are there even more styles of scrambles out there I've never heard of?

57 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

yea, I don't think I would enjoy this. Worst Ball mighe be fun to try by yourself, but as a scramble it would be tiring. 

The idea intrigues me, but I agree it sounds taxing.  I'd probably only want to do it once.  🙂

Also, this is one of those things that isn't realistic for us daily fee golfers who don't play as much as we'd like.  This is for the people that belong to a club and have the luxury of being able to get out and do fun things at random times when the courses are quiet.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Interesting!

Our course has quite big greens 30 x 15 metres on average with the depth being 30. We have three colours of flag. Red for front, yellow for middle and white for the back of the green. For me, there is at least a 2 club difference between front and back. Length is my main consideration for approaching them and setting them off at the pin should be secondary.

I'll definitely give it a go, aiming at the middle of the green with the right club.

BTW, I think you are mixing my stories. Bogey golf would be fantastic for average 4 handicap in a reverse scramble.

Edited by JuliWooli
please don't type inside the quote box

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Try it, Mr. Glass Half Empty, it's a scream! 🥛 :dance:

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@JuliWooli Just a heads up that your comments are included inside the quote of your last post. 🙂

:-D

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Our course has quite big greens 30 x 15 metres on average with the depth being 30.

I wouldn't call those "quite big." For Bavaria, or Austria, maybe true. For the U.S., probably slightly larger than average. 30 meters is only ~33 yards.

The first green at my course is 90 feet x 76 feet. The third hole has a green that's 112 feet long and 68 feet wide.

BTW, I think you are mixing my stories. Bogey golf would be fantastic for average 4 handicap in a reverse scramble.

I'm not. Not everything is a comment directly against anything you've said. I'm saying three golfers aren't going to break 90 very often, and that doesn't sound like much "fun" at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

The idea intrigues me, but I agree it sounds taxing.  I'd probably only want to do it once.  🙂

Also, this is one of those things that isn't realistic for us daily fee golfers who don't play as much as we'd like.  This is for the people that belong to a club and have the luxury of being able to get out and do fun things at random times when the courses are quiet.

Its a format that I have played maximum 10 times in my life, once or twice a season. I would love to play it more often, but its difficult to organise (for obvious reasons). I am looking forward to trying it alone or as a pair. I'm know that would be much easier to organise.

• Like 1

Try it, Mr. Glass Half Empty, it's a scream! 🥛 :dance:

Clubs are still packed away for the winter and probably will be for another month, so I will not be trying anything for a while. Throw torn left knee cartilage into the equation, and my season might be over before it begins. At the very least, I won't be doing a lot. 😒

If I do any sort of scramble, I like the 2 man scramble. It helps to minimize the cheating which frequently happens in four man scrambles. I played in 2 man scrambles where you can choose the other teams "best" ball twice in a round. That comes in handy if someone on the opposing team holes out or drops one in gimme range. That was a little gimmicky for this "grumpy old pessimist". My favorite for mid-cappers is Greensomes.

- Shane

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm saying three golfers aren't going to break 90 very often, and that doesn't sound like much "fun" at all.

When was the last time you were delighted with a bogey round?

Think about it, being the team player who holds it together best. Consistently knocking a reasonable tee shot to the middle of the fairway or green, solid approach shots, creative scrambling and nerves of steel on the green. A superman!

Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!