Jump to content
IGNORED

A Reverse Texas Scramble


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Clubs are still packed away for the winter and probably will be for another month, so I will not be trying anything for a while. Throw torn left knee cartilage into the equation, and my season might be over before it begins. At the very least, I won't be doing a lot. 😒

 

Sorry to hear that. I understand through my dad how frustrating this can be. 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You keep saying that.

Occasionally I'll play my own "worst ball" scramble when I'm out by myself. Even as a single digit handicapper, I hit so many loose shots that getting more than one par in a 9 hole stretch is almost a

This thread smells funny. A five handicap is going to average around 78 or 79 or so depending on the course rating… three five handicaps playing their worst ball are going to have a heck of a time bre

Posted Images

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

When was the last time you were delighted with a bogey round?

Think about it, being the team player who holds it together best. Consistently knocking a reasonable tee shot to the middle of the fairway or green, solid approach shots, creative scrambling and nerves of steel on the green. A superman!

Huh?

Worst ball is fine playing your own ball. It’s a recipe for disaster and not fun playing with others.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
58 minutes ago, iacas said:

 It’s a recipe for disaster and not fun playing with others.

I know I'm not selling you here @Chief but that's where the surprise element kicks in. You're probably not going to find yourself in some of the amusing/unexpected places with your own game. I'm also pretty sure you could improve a student's game plan with this format. LSW

Edited by JuliWooli
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

@JuliWooli I improve my students without having to make them endure this.

Even wrote a book on it.

:-D I think I could write at least 10 books using just your posts. Is that allowed?

Once again...

respect.jpg.ce88198ee344ca8e3da46cd3b5462948.jpg

I know you love my 'Reverse Scramble' really. I'm telling no-one!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who decides what the “worst” ball is? One ball may be in the fairway and another is in the rough with a decent lie but 60 yards (you can convert to meters 😉)closer to the hole. I could argue that the ball in the rough is the “worst” and should be played. There is often the opposite debate in a regular scramble, but there is a common goal to give your team the best advantage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Who decides what the “worst” ball is? One ball may be in the fairway and another is in the rough with a decent lie but 60 yards (you can convert to meters 😉)closer to the hole. I could argue that the ball in the rough is the “worst” and should be played. There is often the opposite debate in a regular scramble, but there is a common goal to give your team the best advantage. 

Easy your opponents!

Although its normally obvious. For example...

Plugged lie in the bunker or behind the same bunker in thick rough. Who cares someone is going to wreck one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JuliWooli said:

Easy your opponents!

Although its normally obvious. For example...

Plugged lie in the bunker or behind the same bunker in thick rough. Who cares someone is going to wreck one of them.

If there’s three on a team, that would make six people in the group. I don’t see that happening on this side of the pond unless you own the course. I know you stated that it would have to be in the evening, but our courses are often busy with golf leagues in the evening  

All three players on the team need to hole a 4’ putt for it to be holed, correct? Sounds dreadfully slow...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

If there’s three on a team, that would make six people in the group. I don’t see that happening on this side of the pond unless you own the course. I know you stated that it would have to be in the evening, but our courses are often busy with golf leagues in the evening  

All three players on the team need to hole a 4’ putt for it to be holed, correct? Sounds dreadfully slow...

Yes, that's why I like the 2 player teams being kicked about here or even going out with a partner and playing 2 balls each on every shot, playing the worst ball each time.

As I said its very difficult to organise one flight, a tournament would be impossible. I don't think I would be very popular with the clock watchers.

Putting is mental in this format.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

I don't think I would be very popular with the clock watchers.

I would say that is a majority of people here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I would say that is a majority of people here. 

Still a fun game though!

Its totally different from the boring scramble with all those whoops and high fives, You don't get many of them in the reverse format. Mainly sighs of relief once a hole has been completed. Sometimes the team is so mentally exhausted they are petrified beyond belief.

Great fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I get it. For the record, I'm not a fan of regular Texas Scrambles either. I love match play formats (four-ball, foursomes, singles). A foursomes match is a real pressure cooker.

How can you not love scrambles?! Your worst shots of the day don't count, and if you're not going first and someone's already put down a reasonable shot then you can try to destroy drives or stiff pins!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, mdl said:

How can you not love scrambles?! Your worst shots of the day don't count, and if you're not going first and someone's already put down a reasonable shot then you can try to destroy drives or stiff pins!

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count, and if you're going last and everyone has already nailed it, then you can let them all down with this nerve-wracking shot. Heaps of pressure. Character building. There's no comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count, and if you're going last and everyone has already nailed it, then you can let them all down with this nerve-wracking shot. Heaps of pressure. Character building. There's no comparison.

My team's going to have a lot of straight/short hitters on it.  And the Laphroaig will be doled out carefully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Still a fun game though!

If you enjoy it, great. You haven’t sold me. 
 

16 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles?

One word... Cheaters. 

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And the Laphroaig will be doled out carefully.

WTH is that? Is this English?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, JuliWooli said:

I have never managed more than nine holes at this game (takes too long) ...

Talk about taking too long... I once played in something called a Banked Scramble.  You play as an individual.  You get to hit two shots off the tee.  If you like your first, don't hit a 2nd, and "bank" that extra shot for later on the hole. 

So if you banked every shot on a par 5 and reached the green in regulation you'd have 5 putts at birdie. The 3 shots you banked (saved) and the 2 putts you're allotted anyway.  You do have to use all the banked shots on the same hole.

We played in threesomes, but it still was a 5 1/2 hour round.

Won't do that again.

 

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

WTH is that? Is this English?

Not English.  It's a Scottish single-malt scotch.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

One word... Cheaters.

 

Doesn't happen. The opposing team is normally very strict about all the rules. Theeir eagerness for your failure makes it impossible to cheat. Think about it, three guys from the other team, that want you to fail, watching your every move.There is definitely a laxer attitude in normal scrambles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BoogieThumper
      BoogieThumper
      (45 years old)
    2. Chriasp
      Chriasp
      (30 years old)
    3. cpk23
      cpk23
      (30 years old)
    4. DON TAYLOR
      DON TAYLOR
      (59 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...