Jump to content
IGNORED

A Reverse Texas Scramble


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Doesn't happen.

He was asking why I don’t like scrambles. 

36 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count,

Precisely

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You keep saying that.

Occasionally I'll play my own "worst ball" scramble when I'm out by myself. Even as a single digit handicapper, I hit so many loose shots that getting more than one par in a 9 hole stretch is almost a

This thread smells funny. A five handicap is going to average around 78 or 79 or so depending on the course rating… three five handicaps playing their worst ball are going to have a heck of a time bre

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

So if you banked every shot on a par 5 and reached the green in regulation you'd have 4 putts at birdie.

 

Bit of cheating going on during that scramble. Surely you would only have 3. :hmm:

Still think you are a nice guy. Math is not your strong point.

Shit, your original putt plus the 3 you carried. I am going to bed. Too tired now.

Sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Bit of cheating going on during that scramble. Surely you would only have 3. :hmm:

Still think you are a nice guy. Math is not your strong point.

Haha... you got me on the math this time.  Actually you'd have 5 putts at birdie.  I didn't see any cheating, but it's difficult enough to keep track of your own "banked" shots, not to mention the other players you're with.  Other people's math is not my strong point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Haha... you got me on the math this time.  Actually you'd have 5 putts at birdie.  I didn't see any cheating, but it's difficult enough to keep track of your own "banked" shots, not to mention the other players you're with.  Other people's math is not my strong point.

Shit, I have just worked out why its 4, now you are saying its 5.

I'm going to bed, good night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Shit, your original putt plus the 3 you carried. I am going to bed. Too tired now.

I was thinking it might be past your bedtime.  (the 3 you carried and the 2 you're allotted on the green... so 5 attempts)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Who decides what the “worst” ball is? One ball may be in the fairway and another is in the rough with a decent lie but 60 yards (you can convert to meters 😉)closer to the hole. I could argue that the ball in the rough is the “worst” and should be played. There is often the opposite debate in a regular scramble, but there is a common goal to give your team the best advantage. 

Yeah I wondered that too.  I'm imagining only playing this as an exercise/practice thing so it wouldn't really matter.  But you could also just create a hierarchy easy enough to follow.  Most of the time the worst shot is easy enough to pick out though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We did something similar in team practice last year: we were split into two man teams, we played off the red tees, and we took the worst ball. Three holes, lowest team won. My partner and I came in with +3, which turned out to be one off the winning score. I actually really enjoyed it, considering it was something I’d never done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was thinking it might be past your bedtime.  (the 3 you carried and the 2 you're allotted on the green... so 5 attempts)

Yeah, but not at the birdie putt which was the theme. Stop confusing my little brain. :no:

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah I wondered that too.  I'm imagining only playing this as an exercise/practice thing so it wouldn't really matter.  But you could also just create a hierarchy easy enough to follow.  Most of the time the worst shot is easy enough to pick out though.

Exactly but the real challenge is playing it competitively.

9 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

We did something similar in team practice last year: we were split into two man teams, we played off the red tees, and we took the worst ball. Three holes, lowest team won. My partner and I came in with +3, which turned out to be one off the winning score. I actually really enjoyed it, considering it was something I’d never done.

Was that 3 over net or gross? You are talking about ladies tees so I would imagine its gross. I would imagine that from red it would be much easier.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

You keep saying that.

As You Wish Cary Elwes GIF by Disney+

Point taken but its great fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Was that 3 over net or gross? You are talking about ladies tees so I would imagine its gross. I would imagine that from red it would be much easier.

It was +3 gross. I think if we had played much further back, it would’ve taken up too much time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

It was +3 gross. I think if we had played much further back, it would’ve taken up too much time.

Index 18, not bad, what did the others in your team have?

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

Index 18, not bad, what did the others in your team have?

We just did 2-man teams, and I believe at the time, my partner was a 3 hcp. I honestly thought we would do a lot worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, JuliWooli said:

How can you not love reverse scrambles? Your best shots of the day don't count, and if you're going last and everyone has already nailed it, then you can let them all down with this nerve-wracking shot. Heaps of pressure. Character building. There's no comparison.

Geez. Try not assuming bad intent. I didn't say I think reverse scramble sounds bad. I just think one should work to remember golf's supposed to be fun if you think scrambles are boring and reverse scrambles are great!

I do think reverse scrambles sound kinda fun in principle. I like team golf, and standing over a ball after all good shots in your group is a fun situation. It just doesn't sound fun enough to sign up for playing at an 8 hour pace. Especially when you're signing up to play at an 8 hour pace while never getting to hit any actual approach shots, just recovery punch outs and 3/4 wedges from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/25/2021 at 5:09 PM, JuliWooli said:

It's totally different from the boring scramble with all those whoops and high fives, You don't get many of them in the reverse format. Mainly sighs of relief once a hole has been completed. Sometimes the team is so mentally exhausted they are petrified beyond belief.

Great fun!

Your idea of "boring" and "Great fun" is so different than any of the golfers I have played with.  We were all huge fans of the "whoops and high fives"  that happen in scrambles, which after all, seems to be one of the best indicators of people actually having fun!  We also usually wished we could keep playing after completing the round, unlike your team's relief after finishing 6 or so holes (as you mentioned in a previous post).

BTW, if I wanted to be petrified and mentally exhausted I would have stayed in the Marine Corps beyond my 20 years; absolutely no need for that kind of angst on the golf course...

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, iacas said:

This thread smells funny. A five handicap is going to average around 78 or 79 or so depending on the course rating… three five handicaps playing their worst ball are going to have a heck of a time breaking 90.

And if you're "attacking pins" you're not playing golf as well as you could be.

Because I doubt you mean from inside of about 40 yards.

Every thread/new forum regarding this person smells funny!  Totally FAKE!!!

Even one of the earlier threads regarding her father who could still play to a 5 handicap but wasn't enough competition for her smelled funny.  Why on earth would an alleged 3.8 handicap player ever complain about competing with her 5 handicap DAD who still could play to his handicap?  THE HORROR!  My dad plays to his handicap of 5.0 on a regular basis but he is "grumpy".  OMG, Help Me!!!!

My Bad, I forgot to mention that her dad was 60+ years old and could still play to his 5 handicap!  The HORROR!  He's not giving her enough competition, and he's frustrated by it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reverse Scramble sounds horrible to me. One of my greatest joys on the course is when I hit a great shot and to have that mean nothing kinda sucks.  I have played many scrambles and there is a lot to be said when your teammates high five you after a good shot, you feel great that you helped your team.  In reverse scramble you said there are no high fives and “relief” when it is over.  I do not see how that is “Great Fun”.  My “fun” is exhilarating, not exhausting.

And what do you do after you are so fed up after 6 holes?  Play the next 12 in a normal fashion or just walk off?   

I’m glad you enjoy it, but it is not for me.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/28/2021 at 10:33 PM, HoganApexFan said:

BTW, if I wanted to be petrified and mentally exhausted...

@HoganApexFan They're called Balls.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:11 AM, HoganApexFan said:

Every thread/new forum regarding this person smells funny!  Totally FAKE!!!

Funny, go FAKE!!! yourself.

 

On 2/26/2021 at 6:22 PM, mdl said:

It just doesn't sound fun enough to sign up for playing at an 8 hour pace.

I have never played this game for more than 3 hours. Yes, just a few holes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is all interesting.  But I would not play this for money because who decides what the worst shot is?  I know we all assume Golfers are honest and I believe that.  But as someone said, yes I know who said it, "Trust but Verify".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...