IGNORED

Driver or Lay Up - a Poll

iacas
Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Drive or Lay Up?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hit driver or lay up (see the question in the first post)?

• Hit Driver
    • Lay Up

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's unlikely the 18th hole is a 325-yard par four. 🙂

You should read farther into that book you got last week. 😄

You are correct.  It will be interesting to see how my knowledge evolves 

the OP said it was a 325 yard hole.

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StuM said:

You are correct.  It will be interesting to see how my knowledge evolves 

Good.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

the OP said it was a 325 yard hole.

Yes. I'm saying it's unlikely the 18th hole at a course is a 325-yard par four, in response to someone else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes. I'm saying it's unlikely the 18th hole at a course is a 325-yard par four, in response to someone else.

Opps. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Originally here, a Twitter poll asks:

• You are a scratch player that averages 290 yards off the tee.
  • You're playing a 325-yard hole with water in play (if you hit the water, you drop at 80 yards in the rough).
  • With driver, you will hit fairway 40%, rough 35%, and water 25% of the time.
  • If you lay up to 100 yards to take the water out of play, you'll hit the fairway 80% of the time and the rough 20% of the time.

What is the correct play? Vote in the poll above.

Then look at the spoiler for PGA Tour data.

Hide contents

PGA Tour Info

• Driver: 0.4 * 3.55 + 0.35 * 3.75 + 0.25 * (1 + 3.96) = 3.9725
  • Lay Up: 0.8 * 3.80 + 0.2 * 4.02 = 3.844

In other words, on the PGA Tour, it would make sense to lay up, by about 1/8th of a shot. But is the same true of a scratch golfer?

PGA Tour data is in the spoiler.

Part of reason I chose driver is because if I am avging 290, I am thinking birdie chance even from rough. Chances of birdie from 45 yards significantly higher than from 100 in. Higher than the 25 percent chance of ending up in the drink. Also, outside chance of GIR/nGIR. 

Layup seems too defensive in this case. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Part of reason I chose driver is because if I am avging 290, I am thinking birdie chance even from rough. Chances of birdie from 45 yards significantly higher than from 100 in. Higher than the 25 percent chance of ending up in the drink. Also, outside chance of GIR/nGIR. 

Layup seems too defensive in this case. 

Did you expand the PGA Tour stats?

They birdie from the rough only 1/4 of the time. And you're not as good as they are (as the scratch golfer in the question).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you expand the PGA Tour stats?

I did. Thinking is, Tour player make their fair share of birdies elsewhere and understandably more risk averse even on short holes. 

Birdies don't come by that easily for a scratch, hence should be more aggressive when a chance presents itself with manageable risk.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I did. Thinking is, Tour player make their fair share of birdies elsewhere and understandably more risk averse even on short holes. 

Birdies don't come by that easily for a scratch, hence should be more aggressive when a chance presents itself with manageable risk.

Umm, no.

Re-read that book I wrote, man. 🙂

I think the "correct" choice is to lay-up.  If I'm playing in a tournament I would definitely lay up. 

HOWEVER, if I'm playing with the usual gang of jokers I play golf with and there are bragging rights on the line... I think you know the answer. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

They birdie from the rough only 1/4 of the time. And you're not as good as they are (as the scratch golfer in the question).

Ahh, this is the stat I did not think about.

Vishal S.

Where is the water?  Just based on the question, it depends if we really need a birdie or not.  I'd probably hit driver most of the time, anyway. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

So do we have similar stats for a scratch player? I don’t hit it 290 so I’m laying up, but if I did hit it that far then it would depend on how I was feeling, playing, the situation etc. It’s got to be a pretty close call. 

Stevie T

• Administrator

So a scratch player, it's about dead even. Which is why I didn't give the choice to say "either." 🙂

Note: This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!