Jump to content
IGNORED

Driver or Lay Up - a Poll


Drive or Lay Up?  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you hit driver or lay up (see the question in the first post)?

    • Hit Driver
      13
    • Lay Up
      18


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Originally here, a Twitter poll asks:

  • You are a scratch player that averages 290 yards off the tee.
  • You're playing a 325-yard hole with water in play (if you hit the water, you drop at 80 yards in the rough).
  • With driver, you will hit fairway 40%, rough 35%, and water 25% of the time.
  • If you lay up to 100 yards to take the water out of play, you'll hit the fairway 80% of the time and the rough 20% of the time.

What is the correct play? Vote in the poll above.

Then look at the spoiler for PGA Tour data.

Spoiler

PGA Tour Info

  • Driver: 0.4 * 3.55 + 0.35 * 3.75 + 0.25 * (1 + 3.96) = 3.9725
  • Lay Up: 0.8 * 3.80 + 0.2 * 4.02 = 3.844

In other words, on the PGA Tour, it would make sense to lay up, by about 1/8th of a shot. But is the same true of a scratch golfer?

PGA Tour data is in the spoiler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted driver. I thought it would be pretty close though. It would be interesting to see the math for a scratch golfer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit water with driver 50 percent of time if it's in play in general. 'Only' 25 percent chance would mean I am having a stellar driving day...😁

No way I'm laying up...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

I hit water with driver 50 percent of time if it's in play in general. 'Only' 25 percent chance would mean I am having a stellar driving day...😁

No way I'm laying up...

Agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted laying up. Looking at the data of this theoretical golfer, I know that driver is going to cost me 0.25 strokes from the penalty. The question is whether the additional 53.75 yards (65 yards x .75 plus 20 yard x .25) that I would gain offsets that quarter of a stroke?

On it's own, it would be a really close call. The kicker for me is that I am hitting out of the fairway 80% of the time with the layup option vs. 40% of the time with the driver. 

I think lay up is the call.

Edited by Big C
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I voted layup thinking about how "black" a water hazard is in regards to shot zones.

Good thinking, but everyone didn’t come out here to watch a Tour Pro laying up 

f82e946c-d9da-43dc-930d-ac4ac64b447f_scr

Tin Cup (1996) - Find video clips by quote. GetYarn.io now.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, Big C said:

I voted laying up. Looking at the data of this theoretical golfer, I know that driver is going to cost me 0.25 strokes from the penalty. The question is whether the additional 53.75 yards (65 yards x .75 plus 20 yard x .25) that I would gain offsets that quarter of a stroke?

As you likely know it doesn't quite work that way. The rough is a substantial "penalty" over the fairway.

Heck, you're in the rough 5% more often from hitting it in the water than you are if you lay up. Never mind the other % of the time you hit it straight into the rough from the tee. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m most likely laying up. I like a nice wedge into the green. If the big D could get me on the green, I might consider it or if there was a decent drop area perhaps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm neither a scratch, nor do I know what I'm talking about, but my driver game is shakier than a newborn deer's legs, so I'm laying up. 

Also, the first two responses I see on the Twitter. SMDH.

 

Screenshot_20210224-174439.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I’m down a stroke from the leader and going into 18...I’m hitting driver. If I lead I’m laying up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted to hit the driver.  I figure there is a 75% chance of avoiding the water and if my drive is 290 then I am @ 35 from the hole.  Depending upon how bad the rough is I'll take a 35 yard shot from the rough over a 100 yard shot from the fairway.  True, there is 25% chance of being in the water which would hurt, but I'm not playing for big purses like the tour pros so if I lose a shot I lose a shot.  The only math I did was "325 - 290 = 35" and "35 < 100"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

If I’m down a stroke from the leader and going into 18...I’m hitting driver. If I lead I’m laying up.

It's unlikely the 18th hole is a 325-yard par four. 🙂

9 minutes ago, StuM said:

I voted to hit the driver.  I figure there is a 75% chance of avoiding the water and if my drive is 290 then I am @ 35 from the hole.  Depending upon how bad the rough is I'll take a 35 yard shot from the rough over a 100 yard shot from the fairway.  True, there is 25% chance of being in the water which would hurt, but I'm not playing for big purses like the tour pros so if I lose a shot I lose a shot.  The only math I did was "325 - 290 = 35" and "35 < 100"

You should read farther into that book you got last week. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's unlikely the 18th hole is a 325-yard par four.

Oh...yeah...I was thinking LPGA. But I guess that could be a par 5 then...🤭

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would definitely lay up, but it would be fun watching Phil and a bunch others go for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I’m most likely laying up. I like a nice wedge into the green. If the big D could get me on the green, I might consider it or if there was a decent drop area perhaps.

I should have qualified this answer with the assumption that I am sober. After a few drinks, who knows what I would do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Driver or Lay Up - a Poll

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • 72 years old. Warmed up for 30 minutes, then played 18 holes. After getting home, did a 20 minute EMOM; Minute 1 - 20 jump squats. Minute 2 - 20 Russian Kettlebell swings. After that, did my Max Swing Speed training routine. Stretched, showered, dinner, TV & relax for the rest of the day.
    • Personal Technology With Joanna Stern - Apple vs. Facebook: Why iOS 14.5 Started a Big Tech Fight A new privacy feature in Apple’s iOS 14.5 requires apps to request permission to track you. And Facebook isn’t happy about it. WSJ’s Joanna Stern put Facebook C Good video there.
    • I have been playing on and off for the last maybe 12 years and my handicap fluctuates like the tide. The friends who took up the game later than me now have single digit handicaps. I am so inconsistent, I keep hitting over the top.......just frustrated
    • 100% agree on the elbow. I thought about mentioning that in my first post. It looks like the elbow's probably too far behind. But at least as far as the angle goes, it's probably in the 75-80˚ range, which is just more acute than it should be. And given A6 club position looks reasonable I felt like the hip thrust was the bigger issue? Also, @IU426 you say in the OP you've been playing for 30 years. Did you start playing golf when you were 3? Or are you the youngest looking 40-something ever?!
    • I feel like arm lock adds stability and mechanically reduces a degree of freedom in case of a wristy stroke. So ban it.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Miguel Martinho
      Miguel Martinho
      (25 years old)
    2. mtclinton21
      mtclinton21
      (36 years old)
    3. SwingCity18
      SwingCity18
      (33 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...