IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

Gerry1219
Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I’ll take the under for $1000 on both of those.

Hell, cut those numbers in 1/4 and give me 4 to 1 odds and I’ll take those as well.

That is a bet I'd love to lose :-)

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Pretty much an entire thread of speculation here. 

Really?

All of the comments in the thread are based on a thorough knowledge of his condition and expert knowledge of treatment, rehabilitation and medicine.

No-one would speculate in a thread about what people think/hope might happen in the future regarding something that happened yesterday where details are scant.

• Funny 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

52 minutes ago, turtleback said:

It is extremely unlikely he could ever play at the pro level.  But these injuries seem similar, at least on the surface, to what Alex Smith went through, so I won't say impossible, just almost impossible.

Remember that Smith also had an infection which require removal of a significant amount of muscle tissue that had to be replaced with muscle from another part of his body. Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

The update from Tiger’s team did not delve into detail on the soft tissue damage Woods endured. But it said that “trauma” to his right leg “required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.” That procedure is what is known as a “fasciotomy,” Dr. Campbell said, and it is often performed “prophylactically” to prevent serious problems from developing.

Golf.com

2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

The update from Tiger’s team did not delve into detail on the soft tissue damage Woods endured. But it said that “trauma” to his right leg “required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.” That procedure is what is known as a “fasciotomy,” Dr. Campbell said, and it is often performed “prophylactically” to prevent serious problems from developing.

Golf.com

I understand that. But Alex Smith had most of his calf and shin muscle removed due to infection. Different procedures.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, iacas said:
  • Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year.
  • Return to play golf? Sure, by next year.
  • Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah.

But I don't know anything, and so much could change all of that. I hope I'm not wrong about the first thing, or even really the second thing, so he can at least get around with Charlie at home, for fun.

That’s basically how I feel about it. Had a conversation earlier with a coworker and he asked me if I thought Tiger would be back to playing golf. I told him honestly I’d be happy for him if he can make a full recovery and get back to regular life pain-free. There will likely be golf in his future, but I don’t think it will be PGA Tour level.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

With the trauma to his back from the last surgery, the new injury could cause further trauma to his back while going thru PT.   Walking on crutches or with a walker with a good back is difficult enough.  It will be tougher to recover with a back limited as his.  

I'll never doubt his ability or his mental toughness but this injury gives me doubt about his return to competitive golf.    TIGER PROVE ME WRONG!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Archie Bunker said:

I think Joe LaCava needs to start looking around....

Joe isn't going anywhere.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Uhh, he will walk with crutches in 6-8 weeks. Weight bearing in another 4-5 weeks. After that range of possibilities are wider than the Grand canyon.

As far as golf is concerned, the one thing he has going for him is that the left leg is intact (I can't find anywhere anything that says otherwise).

So, I will wager $150, he will be playing full rounds in mid 2022. How 'bout them apples?? Anyone? 

Vishal S.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Uhh, he will walk with crutches in 6-8 weeks. Weight bearing in another 4-5 weeks. After that range of possibilities are wider than the Grand canyon.

As far as golf is concerned, the one thing he has going for him is that the left leg is intact (I can't find anywhere anything that says otherwise).

So, I will wager $150, he will be playing full rounds in mid 2022. How 'bout them apples?? Anyone? 

@Shorty is clearly not a put-his-money-where-his-mouth-is kinda guy.

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Let me up the ante.. $150 says he will have taken a full swing by October. Caveats - his right knee soft tissue intact and he doesn't develop post op infection of any kind. Heck you can take full swings with a completely fused right ankle.

Vishal S.

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Remember that Smith also had an infection which require removal of a significant amount of muscle tissue that had to be replaced with muscle from another part of his body. Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

I don't know if Smith's fractures were comminuted, nor if he had anything comparable to Tiger's reported ankle issues.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Crypto-currency, but not the folding stuff. :-)

5 hours ago, turtleback said:

I don't know if Smith's fractures were comminuted, nor if he had anything comparable to Tiger's reported ankle issues.

Smith had a compound spiral fracture of the tibia that broke through the skin. I watched the 60 Minutes special. It was a horrific break. The infection was the real issue for long term recovery with the removal of most of the muscle.

We don’t know the extent of Tiger’s ankle issue. Mobility and range of motion will be the key. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

After what we saw from Alex Smith, I'd say nothing is out of the realm of possibility. But as others have said, I think it's highly unlikely that he's ever a competitive golfer again.

Edit: Now that I've scrolled through the rest, I see I'm not the first to bring up Smith lol

Edited by Slice of Life
Read through the rest
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Smith had a compound spiral fracture of the tibia that broke through the skin. I watched the 60 Minutes special. It was a horrific break. The infection was the real issue for long term recovery with the removal of most of the muscle.

We don’t know the extent of Tiger’s ankle issue. Mobility and range of motion will be the key. 

Well his spirits seem to be good, albeit frustrated.  I just read that his goal is returning to the tour.

In the words of Robert Browning, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

It would be Hoganesque to come back from this.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

42 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Well his spirits seem to be good, albeit frustrated.  I just read that his goal is returning to the tour.

In the words of Robert Browning, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

It would be Hoganesque to come back from this.

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

Scott

My Swing Thread

41 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

Being Tiger Woods, he will have access to all of the best medical/rehab/etc. too. No doubt if it is possible, he can do it.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!