Jump to content
IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?


Recommended Posts

Who can compare the injury and revovery of 34 year old Smith to Tiger? We don’t even know the details of it all, and Tiger’s been struggling with injuries since 2007. Or even earlier?

I don’t even want to try guessing the outcome, but can only hope for the best.

If he does get back into golf, I suppose the senior tour could work if he can swing golf clubs. He’s always been out there chasing the W and especially majors. I struggle to see that reality anymore on the PGA Tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year. Return to play golf? Sure, by next year. Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah. But I don't know anything, and so

Medically, I have no clue what is possible for him, but I really hope Tiger retires. He's got nothing left to prove in golf, he's got more money than he'll ever spend, and hopefully he makes a full, o

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

Desire is a necessary component of coming back, but not sufficient.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unlike the rest of us Tiger will be allowed to play in any tournament he wants.  When he does attempt to make his comeback he may not be successful.  His injuries (now and prior) could be a significant detriment.  But mostly his age and the long layoff will be a challenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Unlike the rest of us Tiger will be allowed to play in any tournament he wants.  When he does attempt to make his comeback he may not be successful.  His injuries (now and prior) could be a significant detriment.  But mostly his age and the long layoff will be a challenge.

You say this as if the ability to play any event is somehow a special privilege for Tiger.  The 'rest of us' can get the same deal the same way Tiger got it, by earning a lifetime exemption (winning at least 20 events and playing on tour for at least 15 years).

But of course besides that your premise it isn't even correct, since there are a number of events that have specific qualifying conditions.  He is good on the British Open (until age 60) and the Masters, but he will become ineligible for the US Open,  PGA, and Players in time, and all of the WGCs, based on world ranking.  He could, and would, get a special exemption into the US Open from the USGA if he wants to play but didn't qualify, but those are generally one shot deals.

Edited by turtleback
their is not the same as there
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, turtleback said:

You say this as if the ability to play any event is somehow a special privilege for Tiger.  The 'rest of us' can get the same deal the same way Tiger got it, by earning a lifetime exemption (winning at least 20 events and playing on tour for at least 15 years).

But of course besides that your premise it isn't even correct, since there are a number of events that have specific qualifying conditions.  He is good on the British Open (until age 60) and the Masters, but he will become ineligible for the US Open,  PGA, and Players in time, and all of the WGCs, based on world ranking.  He could, and would, get a special exemption into the US Open from the USGA if he wants to play but didn't qualify, but those are generally one shot deals.

Not a special privilege. Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. Many tournaments, which are not majors, have room to add a few golfers each week. The tournament committee selects who they are.  It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger. That's all I was saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger.

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

physically impossible to win on tour anymore. If he wants to win a pro tournament again, he needs to rehab 5 years or more for the senior tour

As much as I hate this, I'd say you're probably right. It would be cool to see him him the US Senior Open to complete his USGA collection.

Edited by ncates00
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't believe he will win another PGA Tour event, but I'm sure he'll still be around the game in some shape or another for a while to come. Maybe for interviews or ceremony every so often, but more likely as a tournament host and through his work with the Tiger Woods Foundation and course design.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is a comparison from skiing, a sport which heavily relies on legs.

Hermann Maier, who was an Austrian Olympic skier:
- August 2001: Crushed right leg in a motorcycle accident
- Doctors recommended amputation or a risky complete reconstructive surgery and years of rehab with uncertain results
- January 2003: Returned to the sport and won several championships at the elite level

Hermann Maier was called The Herminator after his return.

Every injury is different and every physique and mental capability is different.

Tiger will be back; he wouldn't want to end his career like that and probably wants that ultimate comeback trophy.

Just my two cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, Nave said:

Here is a comparison from skiing, a sport which heavily relies on legs.

Hermann Maier, who was an Austrian Olympic skier:
- August 2001: Crushed right leg in a motorcycle accident
- Doctors recommended amputation or a risky complete reconstructive surgery and years of rehab with uncertain results
- January 2003: Returned to the sport and won several championships at the elite level

Hermann Maier was called The Herminator after his return.

Every injury is different and every physique and mental capability is different.

Tiger will be back; he wouldn't want to end his career like that and probably wants that ultimate comeback trophy.

Just my two cents.

I'm gonna call your contribution at least 25 cents.  Legs are extremely important in golf, but incredibly important in skiing.  

Here's a new twist:  Will Tiger be thankful for Casey Martin coming before him?  (If it comes to that, and I hope not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As with the Smith example, there’s a matter of age here. Maier was 28 at the time. Tiger is 45. And already has a long history of injuries and operations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Not a special privilege. Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. Many tournaments, which are not majors, have room to add a few golfers each week. The tournament committee selects who they are.  It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger. That's all I was saying.

So, basically you don't know what a lifetime exemption is? 

OK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

physically impossible to win on tour anymore. If he wants to win a pro tournament again, he needs to rehab 5 years or more for the senior tour

I don't think physically impossible is correct. 

This is golf, not basketball or football. 

Let's not forget that an almost 60 year old Jack Nicklaus took 6th place in the Masters, placing ahead of the last year's winner (Tiger Woods) back in the 90s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, turtleback said:

So, basically you don't know what a lifetime exemption is? 

OK

Of course I do. And you are inferring something that I didn't even say.  Your grumpy side is showing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Of course I do. And you are inferring something that I didn't even say.  Your grumpy side is showing.

Other than the ones I mentioned, 2 majors, the Players, and the WGCs, which exemptions are running their course?

And OF COURSE, "unlike us" implies a privelege, not an earned status.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
24 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Of course I do. And you are inferring something that I didn't even say.  Your grumpy side is showing.

You don’t seem to, though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Some examples: “I’m going to go because it’s the British Open. But I certainly thought about not going. I just can’t believe with the numerous examples of successfully run safely held tournaments and majors here that they can’t figure out a better situation,” the player said. “If someone on your plane tests positive on way to the British and is sitting anywhere close to you, you’re out no questions asked, no matter if you’re vaccinated. It’s aggravating that they deem the tournament safe enough for 32,000 fans a day to attend, but won’t let a player’s wife, children travel and watch the tournament, nor will they even let players visit a restaurant without threat of disqualification.” and According to the note sent by the R&A to players, caddies and coaches, those on different player teams will not be allowed to stay together, which makes things difficult for many who travel in support of players. “The up-to-four persons [regulation] within private rental accommodation must be included within the players’ own support group … For example, multiple players or multiple caddies are not permitted to share private self accommodation,” the R&A email read. “We recognise this is difficult for many that used to share during the championship but the Government’s strict contact tracing requirements mean that this will not be possible in 2021. and The potential for being ousted from the tournament has players angry, especially in light of the eased restrictions for patrons. The R&A recently announced that up to 32,000 fans will be able to attend each day at Royal St George’s — that’s 80 percent of the typical 40,000 spectators allowed on the site. “They care more about the revenue of the fans buying beers than they do about the actual people participating in the tournament,” said the player who spoke with Golfweek. “Any fan can go to a grocery store or a restaurant and we can’t. Does that make sense? And I’m vaccinated. How does that make sense?” So, I voted "yes."
    • Players angry, consider skipping Open Championship after R&A hands down strict COVID regulations Some are considering a boycott of the prestigious event and others are simply miffed by the regulations. What do you think about the COVID Protocols at the 2021 Open Championship?   I'll get things started.  I voted "YES" they are going too far.  What is the point of telling players, coaches & caddies that have been living in close proximity for months and most have been vaccinated they cannot share accommodations?  And at the same time allowing @ 80% capacity for fans?  Do testing, etc. similar to the PGA Tour, it seems to have prevented any massive outbreaks for quite some time.  They also claim requirements are for Contact Tracing, if you know who is in the house, RV, etc. Contact Tracing should not be that hard.  By making them separate they may actually increase the number of people they come in contact with. 
    • I have downloaded the pdfs. It's time I get myself used to working yardage books. 
    • Scott kinda has two drills right now. The downswing one is: Get to A6 and stop, but make sure he's over his left ankle. Small pump. EXPLODE the left knee to kick the hip up and back/around while making everything rotate HARD from there. The left knee delivers the arms to the ball because the hips rotate, so the chest rotates, etc.
    • I have a few yardage books from over the years. I have SV but need to get the Mammoth one.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BoogieThumper
      BoogieThumper
      (45 years old)
    2. Chriasp
      Chriasp
      (30 years old)
    3. cpk23
      cpk23
      (30 years old)
    4. DON TAYLOR
      DON TAYLOR
      (59 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...