IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

Gerry1219
Note: This thread is 1147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who can compare the injury and revovery of 34 year old Smith to Tiger? We don’t even know the details of it all, and Tiger’s been struggling with injuries since 2007. Or even earlier?

I don’t even want to try guessing the outcome, but can only hope for the best.

If he does get back into golf, I suppose the senior tour could work if he can swing golf clubs. He’s always been out there chasing the W and especially majors. I struggle to see that reality anymore on the PGA Tour.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

Desire is a necessary component of coming back, but not sufficient.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Unlike the rest of us Tiger will be allowed to play in any tournament he wants.  When he does attempt to make his comeback he may not be successful.  His injuries (now and prior) could be a significant detriment.  But mostly his age and the long layoff will be a challenge.

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Unlike the rest of us Tiger will be allowed to play in any tournament he wants.  When he does attempt to make his comeback he may not be successful.  His injuries (now and prior) could be a significant detriment.  But mostly his age and the long layoff will be a challenge.

You say this as if the ability to play any event is somehow a special privilege for Tiger.  The 'rest of us' can get the same deal the same way Tiger got it, by earning a lifetime exemption (winning at least 20 events and playing on tour for at least 15 years).

But of course besides that your premise it isn't even correct, since there are a number of events that have specific qualifying conditions.  He is good on the British Open (until age 60) and the Masters, but he will become ineligible for the US Open,  PGA, and Players in time, and all of the WGCs, based on world ranking.  He could, and would, get a special exemption into the US Open from the USGA if he wants to play but didn't qualify, but those are generally one shot deals.

Edited by turtleback
their is not the same as there

Rich - in name only

9 minutes ago, turtleback said:

You say this as if the ability to play any event is somehow a special privilege for Tiger.  The 'rest of us' can get the same deal the same way Tiger got it, by earning a lifetime exemption (winning at least 20 events and playing on tour for at least 15 years).

But of course besides that your premise it isn't even correct, since there are a number of events that have specific qualifying conditions.  He is good on the British Open (until age 60) and the Masters, but he will become ineligible for the US Open,  PGA, and Players in time, and all of the WGCs, based on world ranking.  He could, and would, get a special exemption into the US Open from the USGA if he wants to play but didn't qualify, but those are generally one shot deals.

Not a special privilege. Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. Many tournaments, which are not majors, have room to add a few golfers each week. The tournament committee selects who they are.  It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger. That's all I was saying.

45 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

15 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

physically impossible to win on tour anymore. If he wants to win a pro tournament again, he needs to rehab 5 years or more for the senior tour

As much as I hate this, I'd say you're probably right. It would be cool to see him him the US Senior Open to complete his USGA collection.

Edited by ncates00

I don't believe he will win another PGA Tour event, but I'm sure he'll still be around the game in some shape or another for a while to come. Maybe for interviews or ceremony every so often, but more likely as a tournament host and through his work with the Tiger Woods Foundation and course design.

• Like 1

Here is a comparison from skiing, a sport which heavily relies on legs.

Hermann Maier, who was an Austrian Olympic skier:
- August 2001: Crushed right leg in a motorcycle accident
- Doctors recommended amputation or a risky complete reconstructive surgery and years of rehab with uncertain results
- January 2003: Returned to the sport and won several championships at the elite level

Hermann Maier was called The Herminator after his return.

Every injury is different and every physique and mental capability is different.

Tiger will be back; he wouldn't want to end his career like that and probably wants that ultimate comeback trophy.

Just my two cents.

Nave

38 minutes ago, Nave said:

Here is a comparison from skiing, a sport which heavily relies on legs.

Hermann Maier, who was an Austrian Olympic skier:
- August 2001: Crushed right leg in a motorcycle accident
- Doctors recommended amputation or a risky complete reconstructive surgery and years of rehab with uncertain results
- January 2003: Returned to the sport and won several championships at the elite level

Hermann Maier was called The Herminator after his return.

Every injury is different and every physique and mental capability is different.

Tiger will be back; he wouldn't want to end his career like that and probably wants that ultimate comeback trophy.

Just my two cents.

I'm gonna call your contribution at least 25 cents.  Legs are extremely important in golf, but incredibly important in skiing.  

Here's a new twist:  Will Tiger be thankful for Casey Martin coming before him?  (If it comes to that, and I hope not)

As with the Smith example, there’s a matter of age here. Maier was 28 at the time. Tiger is 45. And already has a long history of injuries and operations.

• Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Not a special privilege. Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. Many tournaments, which are not majors, have room to add a few golfers each week. The tournament committee selects who they are.  It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger. That's all I was saying.

So, basically you don't know what a lifetime exemption is? 

OK

• Like 1

Rich - in name only

17 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

physically impossible to win on tour anymore. If he wants to win a pro tournament again, he needs to rehab 5 years or more for the senior tour

I don't think physically impossible is correct. 

This is golf, not basketball or football. 

Let's not forget that an almost 60 year old Jack Nicklaus took 6th place in the Masters, placing ahead of the last year's winner (Tiger Woods) back in the 90s. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Of course I do. And you are inferring something that I didn't even say.  Your grumpy side is showing.

Other than the ones I mentioned, 2 majors, the Players, and the WGCs, which exemptions are running their course?

And OF COURSE, "unlike us" implies a privelege, not an earned status.

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Of course I do. And you are inferring something that I didn't even say.  Your grumpy side is showing.

You don’t seem to, though?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!