IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

Gerry1219
Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven’t read through the comments here but I’m gonna say maybe a year or so before any real chance of seeing competitive golf. One thing that should be helpful is that the ankle and rod are the right leg. With a right handed swing I think that’s better than it being the left and having to hit against the shattered ankle and leg injury. 

Honestly even before this injury I didn’t have a ton of hope that Tiger would be racking up many more wins. Losing this season will certainly hurt. He was never catching Jack anyway. At this point I just hope he can find a way to get one more win and break the overall tie. I also look forward to seeing how he performs on the Champions tour assuming he continues his career there.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Shorty said:

Not at all. I am being completely serious. Tiger Woods is the biggest drawcard in golf and will remain so. Are you suggesting that there are tournament directors that would choose not to have Tiger in the field if he wanted to be there? And, remember, the only reason he would have for wanting to be there is that he feels fit and able to compete and contend. Why would my comment be sarcastic? Just wondering.....

When it comes to Tiger Woods, there will be no "official" lists or expiry dates. 

You’re still wrong. He wasn’t even allowed to play in WGCs recently.

6 hours ago, Shorty said:

The idea of Tiger being in a wheelchair for months does not imply that he is a cripple unable to get around any other way, it refers to the idea that a sensible way of aiding rehabilitation is to keep the injuries stable, and keeping undue weight off them is an important way of doing so. He will most likely get to a point within a couple of months, or several weeks or a perhaps just a few weeks where he can use a combination of both crutches and a wheelchair. In the same way that he'd be crazy to use stairs when he can use a lift at a certain point in his recovery. :-)

A hundred dollars on what you said about 12 months in a wheelchair, then. Aussie or US, your choice.

You’re wrong here too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

It is like they don't understand that some tournaments have objective, non-waivable, eligibility requirements.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

4 hours ago, iacas said:

A hundred dollars on what you said about 12 months in a wheelchair, then. Aussie or US, your choice.

You’re wrong here too.

I did say 8 months, not 12. And again, I very much hope I am wrong.

I did not realise that he could't play in WGCs. He'd still get a start in any regular tour event he wanted to play in.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

It is like they don't understand that some tournaments have objective, non-waivable, eligibility requirements.

Thanks for that. I can see that that is the case in the WGCs - and fair enough.  My mindset in my initial posts was that if, in a couple of years time Tiger was feeling good and he wanted to play in a regular event or in any championship on overseas tours - say, the Australian Open, even in 2027- there is no way the tournament directors would not want him playing. Obviously, I was overly categorical. 

6 hours ago, iacas said:

A hundred dollars on what you said

You know, I've been reflecting on this over the last week and now that the initial hysteria has died down I have reconsidered.

I have known several people who have had pretty horrific leg and ankle injuries from bicycle accidents and skiing injuries.

Pretty much, on reflection, what I remember about their recoveries is not how long they take to heal, but how rapidly they reach a point where they can get around. Often remarkably quickly.

So....you would win the bet. Even though there will obviously be times when TW will be in a wheelchair over the coming months, my thought is that he will actually  be getting around on crutches in weeks rather than months. Nowhere near hitting golf balls, of course, but I would certainly expect to see him vertical within a month.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Thanks for that. I can see that that is the case in the WGCs - and fair enough.  My mindset in my initial posts was that if, in a couple of years time Tiger was feeling good and he wanted to play in a regular event or in any championship on overseas tours - say, the Australian Open, even in 2027- there is no way the tournament directors would not want him playing. Obviously, I was overly categorical. 

Well his lifetime exemption would get him in any regular event.  But I agree on what I think is your larger point - if he wasn't eligible for an event but the TD has any discretion for exemptions or sponsors exemptions, he'd get in for the asking.  There just aren't many events like that.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

Well his lifetime exemption would get him in any regular event.  But I agree on what I think is your larger point - if he wasn't eligible for an event but the TD has any discretion for exemptions or sponsors exemptions, he'd get in for the asking.  There just aren't many events like that.

This was my thought.  I realize there are invitationals but if Tiger asked to participate I'm sure he'd get a sponsor's exemption.    The media coverage and the extra sales (w/o covid) would be a cash cow.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

We cannot forget that the GOAT golfer Tiger Woods has already come back from an "unrecoverable back injury" due to medical marvels (and spinal fusion?)  Recently he has undergone more back procedures due to subsequent issues.  According to major news networks, these latest leg injuries would preclude any other golfer from returning to competitive golf.  While I would NEVER bet my money against Tiger or any version of a Tiger return, I would prefer to offer my thoughts and prayers that he and his beautiful children live a long and happy life. 

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

This was my thought.  I realize there are invitationals but if Tiger asked to participate I'm sure he'd get a sponsor's exemption.    The media coverage and the extra sales (w/o covid) would be a cash cow.  

Meh. Maybe at first. Not for long if he can’t play.

23 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

We cannot forget that the GOAT golfer Tiger Woods has already come back from an "unrecoverable back injury" due to medical marvels (and spinal fusion?).

I don’t remember anyone saying that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm too tired and lazy to find the research regarding his previous back surgery tonight, but maybe I'll look for it tomorrow if nobody else provided it by the time I log back in.  Regardless, I am praying for a full and miraculous recovery, because I am starting to love Tiger Woods again despite myself...

12 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

I haven’t read through the comments here but I’m gonna say maybe a year or so before any real chance of seeing competitive golf. One thing that should be helpful is that the ankle and rod are the right leg. With a right handed swing I think that’s better than it being the left and having to hit against the shattered ankle and leg injury. 

Honestly even before this injury I didn’t have a ton of hope that Tiger would be racking up many more wins. Losing this season will certainly hurt. He was never catching Jack anyway. At this point I just hope he can find a way to get one more win and break the overall tie. I also look forward to seeing how he performs on the Champions tour assuming he continues his career there.

Both legs are affected, The rod is in the right leg and the left ankle is patched together with screws and pins. If he comes back in any fashion, it will likely be with a whole new swing. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Archie Bunker said:

Both legs are affected, The rod is in the right leg and the left ankle is patched together with screws and pins. If he comes back in any fashion, it will likely be with a whole new swing. 

Tiger's injuries are both to his right leg and ankle.

7 hours ago, Archie Bunker said:

Maybe he can adapt to the Moe Norman swing. It's shorter and less violent, and with all these claims that it is the ultimate swing, combined with Tiger, he would be unstoppable.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

8 hours ago, Archie Bunker said:

I have not seen anything mentioning left ankle. Only thing I’ve found that mentions the left is an article mentioning the intact left ankle and supporting my belief that it’s far better to have an injured right than left. 

img_5c053cb447260.png

As we've reported, Tiger Woods sustained serious injuries to his right ankle and leg in a...

Np question his swing changes. His thoughts on life will change too. Honestly I’ll be surprised if he wins on the PGA tour again. This setback costs him a lot of time he simply doesn’t have.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

16 hours ago, Ole Duffer said:

As a viable treat, I'll go with never.

Everyone reaches that point at some time.

Even Tom Brady?  When?  Please, for the love of god, tell me when.  😂

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 1145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!