IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I’ll take the under for $1000 on both of those.

Hell, cut those numbers in 1/4 and give me 4 to 1 odds and I’ll take those as well.

That is a bet I'd love to lose :-)

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Pretty much an entire thread of speculation here. 

Really?

All of the comments in the thread are based on a thorough knowledge of his condition and expert knowledge of treatment, rehabilitation and medicine.

No-one would speculate in a thread about what people think/hope might happen in the future regarding something that happened yesterday where details are scant.

• Funny 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year. Return to play golf? Sure, by next year. Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah. But I don't know anything, and so

Medically, I have no clue what is possible for him, but I really hope Tiger retires. He's got nothing left to prove in golf, he's got more money than he'll ever spend, and hopefully he makes a full, o

52 minutes ago, turtleback said:

It is extremely unlikely he could ever play at the pro level.  But these injuries seem similar, at least on the surface, to what Alex Smith went through, so I won't say impossible, just almost impossible.

Remember that Smith also had an infection which require removal of a significant amount of muscle tissue that had to be replaced with muscle from another part of his body. Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

The update from Tiger’s team did not delve into detail on the soft tissue damage Woods endured. But it said that “trauma” to his right leg “required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.” That procedure is what is known as a “fasciotomy,” Dr. Campbell said, and it is often performed “prophylactically” to prevent serious problems from developing.

Golf.com

2 minutes ago, Shorty said:

The update from Tiger’s team did not delve into detail on the soft tissue damage Woods endured. But it said that “trauma” to his right leg “required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.” That procedure is what is known as a “fasciotomy,” Dr. Campbell said, and it is often performed “prophylactically” to prevent serious problems from developing.

Golf.com

I understand that. But Alex Smith had most of his calf and shin muscle removed due to infection. Different procedures.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iacas said:
  • Return to a semi-normal life? Sure, maybe by the end of the year.
  • Return to play golf? Sure, by next year.
  • Return to play PGA Tour level golf? Nah.

But I don't know anything, and so much could change all of that. I hope I'm not wrong about the first thing, or even really the second thing, so he can at least get around with Charlie at home, for fun.

That’s basically how I feel about it. Had a conversation earlier with a coworker and he asked me if I thought Tiger would be back to playing golf. I told him honestly I’d be happy for him if he can make a full recovery and get back to regular life pain-free. There will likely be golf in his future, but I don’t think it will be PGA Tour level.

With the trauma to his back from the last surgery, the new injury could cause further trauma to his back while going thru PT.   Walking on crutches or with a walker with a good back is difficult enough.  It will be tougher to recover with a back limited as his.  

I'll never doubt his ability or his mental toughness but this injury gives me doubt about his return to competitive golf.    TIGER PROVE ME WRONG!

Uhh, he will walk with crutches in 6-8 weeks. Weight bearing in another 4-5 weeks. After that range of possibilities are wider than the Grand canyon.

As far as golf is concerned, the one thing he has going for him is that the left leg is intact (I can't find anywhere anything that says otherwise).

So, I will wager $150, he will be playing full rounds in mid 2022. How 'bout them apples?? Anyone? 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Uhh, he will walk with crutches in 6-8 weeks. Weight bearing in another 4-5 weeks. After that range of possibilities are wider than the Grand canyon.

As far as golf is concerned, the one thing he has going for him is that the left leg is intact (I can't find anywhere anything that says otherwise).

So, I will wager $150, he will be playing full rounds in mid 2022. How 'bout them apples?? Anyone? 

@Shorty is clearly not a put-his-money-where-his-mouth-is kinda guy.

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Let me up the ante.. $150 says he will have taken a full swing by October. Caveats - his right knee soft tissue intact and he doesn't develop post op infection of any kind. Heck you can take full swings with a completely fused right ankle.

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Remember that Smith also had an infection which require removal of a significant amount of muscle tissue that had to be replaced with muscle from another part of his body. Tiger as we know at the moment, just has fractures. 

I don't know if Smith's fractures were comminuted, nor if he had anything comparable to Tiger's reported ankle issues.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Crypto-currency, but not the folding stuff. :-)

5 hours ago, turtleback said:

I don't know if Smith's fractures were comminuted, nor if he had anything comparable to Tiger's reported ankle issues.

Smith had a compound spiral fracture of the tibia that broke through the skin. I watched the 60 Minutes special. It was a horrific break. The infection was the real issue for long term recovery with the removal of most of the muscle.

We don’t know the extent of Tiger’s ankle issue. Mobility and range of motion will be the key. 

After what we saw from Alex Smith, I'd say nothing is out of the realm of possibility. But as others have said, I think it's highly unlikely that he's ever a competitive golfer again.

Edit: Now that I've scrolled through the rest, I see I'm not the first to bring up Smith lol

Edited by Slice of Life
Read through the rest

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Smith had a compound spiral fracture of the tibia that broke through the skin. I watched the 60 Minutes special. It was a horrific break. The infection was the real issue for long term recovery with the removal of most of the muscle.

We don’t know the extent of Tiger’s ankle issue. Mobility and range of motion will be the key. 

Well his spirits seem to be good, albeit frustrated.  I just read that his goal is returning to the tour.

In the words of Robert Browning, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

It would be Hoganesque to come back from this.

42 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Well his spirits seem to be good, albeit frustrated.  I just read that his goal is returning to the tour.

In the words of Robert Browning, "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

It would be Hoganesque to come back from this.

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

41 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger did win the US Open on a broken leg (avulsion fracture IIRC)! So if anyone has the drive to comeback, he does.

Being Tiger Woods, he will have access to all of the best medical/rehab/etc. too. No doubt if it is possible, he can do it.