IGNORED

When Will Tiger Return?

Gerry1219
Note: This thread is 1120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Slice of Life said:

I don't think physically impossible is correct. 

This is golf, not basketball or football. 

Let's not forget that an almost 60 year old Jack Nicklaus took 6th place in the Masters, placing ahead of the last year's winner (Tiger Woods) back in the 90s. 

I think the level of play is so high right now, the game has gotten too tough for him.  Tiger has one win in the last 8 years. Throw in another major injury and time away from the game, I think its insurmountable at this point.  This leg injury is seriously bad, he will have leg and back pain with every step he takes for the rest of his life. Thats why I point to the senior tour as the only fighting chance to scrape together a run of birdies over 3 days of play.

21 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Other than the ones I mentioned, 2 majors, the Players, and the WGCs, which exemptions are running their course?

And OF COURSE, "unlike us" implies a privelege, not an earned status.

This is off the internet, which isn't always correct.  According to this it looks like Tiger is exempt for the U.S. Open for 4 more years by virtue of winning the 2019 Masters.  His exemption for winning the U.S. Open in 2008 apparently has run out.

Turtleback, I get the feeling you are upset about something I said in a previous post(s) and you are now trying to nail me.  If I have offended you I am sorry.

• If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, trainsmokegolf said:

I think the level of play is so high right now, the game has gotten too tough for him.  Tiger has one win in the last 8 years.

Huh?

He has three wins in 2018-19 alone.

@Double Mocha Man you’re not proving your case.

I also don’t think we were really commenting on the majors. Tiger doesn’t need sponsor invites to play regular (non-WGC, non-invitational) events. He’s lifetime exempt.

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. Many tournaments, which are not majors, have room to add a few golfers each week. The tournament committee selects who they are.  It would be totally appropriate from a marketing and profitability standpoint to select Tiger. That's all I was saying.

This indicates you don’t know what lifetime exempt means. I think that’s what he’s saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Tiger has exemptions for a number of tournaments but many are running their course. 

There is no golf tournament in any country, on any continent at any time in the future, even if Tiger lives to be 100, that he would not be able to play in if he so chose.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, trainsmokegolf said:

I forgot about the zozo and east lake wins.

And 2013.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

And 2013.

8 years. So I thought he had 1 win between 2013 and 2021

Just now, trainsmokegolf said:

Still, his pga tour winnings days are btfo

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, trainsmokegolf said:

Most of his 2013 wins were less than 8 years ago.

It’s still February man.

And 2014-2017 were injury riddled. Surgery riddled.

1 hour ago, trainsmokegolf said:

Tiger has one win in the last 8 years. 

Five wins in 2013 alone don't count? Wow  - I can see you're a real student of the game.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Five wins in 2013 alone don't count? Wow  - I can see you're a real student of the game.

And you’re just being a grumpy old fart. We’ve been over this.

Read on before replying @Shorty.

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm gonna call your contribution at least 25 cents

Good call, and the raise is justified.

• Upvote 1

Nave

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

This is off the internet, which isn't always correct.  According to this it looks like Tiger is exempt for the U.S. Open for 4 more years by virtue of winning the 2019 Masters.  His exemption for winning the U.S. Open in 2008 apparently has run out.

Turtleback, I get the feeling you are upset about something I said in a previous post(s) and you are now trying to nail me.  If I have offended you I am sorry.

• If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years
  • If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years.

Gee, it is almost exactly like what I said, except you left out the Players and WGCs.  

I'm not offended by your past posts, but your looseness and carelessness in some of your posts do make me tend to read your posts with a fact-checker eye. 

Go back and re-read your post #40.  You implied that Tiger was being afforded special priveleges and you made a completely wrong statement about him being able to enter anything he wants.

When corrected you go off in another direction claiming his exemptions are running out in response to me pointing out he has a lifetime exemption (also contradicting your own point about him being able to enter anything). 

And I went on to specify which events had exemptions that were running out, differentiating between them and the regular tour events. Other than the special events I noted, no exemptions are fading away. 

And then you just parroted my point back at me and, in the process, debunked your own post #40.

I think your best strategy is to just take the L and move on.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

There is no golf tournament in any country, on any continent at any time in the future, even if Tiger lives to be 100, that he would not be able to play in if he so chose.

I hope and trust that this was intended as sarcasm.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

2 hours ago, turtleback said:
   5 hours ago,  Shorty said: 

I hope and trust that this was intended as sarcasm.

Not at all. I am being completely serious. Tiger Woods is the biggest drawcard in golf and will remain so. Are you suggesting that there are tournament directors that would choose not to have Tiger in the field if he wanted to be there? And, remember, the only reason he would have for wanting to be there is that he feels fit and able to compete and contend. Why would my comment be sarcastic? Just wondering.....

When it comes to Tiger Woods, there will be no "official" lists or expiry dates. 

Edited by Shorty

I always laugh when something like this happens and all the interweb know-it-alls start speculating... "he'll be in a wheelchair for the next 12 months!" - over a broken leg and fractured ankle?  He will not be in a wheelchair for a year, he's not paralyzed.  "He needs to retire, no need to risk his health!" - what, given his injury history already, could he possibly do playing GOLF that would debilitate him permanently?  And yes, I'm well aware of how golf can screw up a persons body given the amount of muscles used... but still, coming back and playing golf, at worst, could only likely result in an additional injury that *might* at *worst* actually end his playing days as a competitor.  It's not like returning to golf is going to put him in a wheelchair permanently from trying to smoke a drive.  At this point, I hope he recovers fully, and I do hope that if he can, he returns to playing golf.  If not, so be it.  But who am I to say or anyone else here "no need to risk your health Tiger, retire!"

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

39 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

I always laugh when something like this happens and all the interweb know-it-alls start speculating... "he'll be in a wheelchair for the next 12 months!" - over a broken leg and fractured ankle?  He will not be in a wheelchair for a year, he's not paralyzed.  "He needs to retire, no need to risk his health!" - what, given his injury history already, could he possibly do playing GOLF that would debilitate him permanently?  And yes, I'm well aware of how golf can screw up a persons body given the amount of muscles used... but still, coming back and playing golf, at worst, could only likely result in an additional injury that *might* at *worst* actually end his playing days as a competitor.  It's not like returning to golf is going to put him in a wheelchair permanently from trying to smoke a drive.  At this point, I hope he recovers fully, and I do hope that if he can, he returns to playing golf.  If not, so be it.  But who am I to say or anyone else here "no need to risk your health Tiger, retire!"

Lots of speculation there. 😉

I don't think there have been any people who have stated categorically what they KNOW will happen. The consensus would be that the implications are dire with regard to a return to top level competitive golf and pretty much everyone hopes that he will be able to return to some semblance of normality sooner rather than later. Most people have focused on Tiger the person rather than Tiger the golfer, which I think is pretty fair and reasonable.

Also, he has more than a "broken leg and fractured ankle". Those terms cover a wide range, obviously, but this was no minor accident.

The topic of the thread invited people to speculate, as you have done.

I think it's all pretty moot, anyway. I would speculate that the last thing he would want to do would be to be seen as a charity case or a freak show "wildcard" tournament entry and shoot 86 and then withdraw. I don't think people have said that a return would CAUSE further major injury, it's a question of whether the current injuries will prevent a serious return to COMPETITIVE tournament play which is the only thing that interests him with regard to his presence at a tournament  as a player. (I think)

Edited by Shorty

In addition to the above:

The idea of Tiger being in a wheelchair for months does not imply that he is a cripple unable to get around any other way, it refers to the idea that a sensible way of aiding rehabilitation is to keep the injuries stable, and keeping undue weight off them is an important way of doing so. He will most likely get to a point within a couple of months, or several weeks or a perhaps just a few weeks where he can use a combination of both crutches and a wheelchair. In the same way that he'd be crazy to use stairs when he can use a lift at a certain point in his recovery. :-)

Edited by Shorty

Note: This thread is 1120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!