IGNORED

Video Game Thread

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

but I still reminisce about Leisure Suit Larry. 

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ..... OH MY GOD! I forgot about that. I had that game. At the time it was a stitch. 

11 minutes ago, StuM said:

I was wrong with the 1972.  It was "Pong" and I just checked wikipedia and 1972 was the Arcade version, the home version was later, so it could have been the 2600 like you mentioned.  I remember playing Pong until our eyes hurt.

I had the home pong version (maybe Magnavox???) It came with the over-lay clingy things you could stick on your TV so you could tell if you were playing Soccer or Hockey or Jai alai or what ever. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck with that. Those things bit  rot.

What on Earth did Atari make in 1972? I remember the Atari 2600, I sold mine about 5 years ago on ebay for like 200 bucks. But I had the 1977 edition, which I was pretty sure was the very first editio

I had Pong as well as an Atari 2600. My son has about every gaming system known to humanity, but I still reminisce about Leisure Suit Larry. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I know that I got incredibly lucky. I think whispering under my breath, this is stupid, I'm never gonna get one helped, lol.

It is only because you weren’t that invested in getting one that you were able to obtain one. The gamer gods are amused by the irony 😉

49 minutes ago, billchao said:

It is only because you weren’t that invested in getting one that you were able to obtain one. The gamer gods are amused by the irony 😉

Ha ha. Also lucky that I already have a Switch, which I thought was just going to gather dust. It's been quite busy.

Now that I have a Switch and a PS5, I am seeing synergies from having two consoles. You get double the game sale opportunities. It'll be interesting to see what new VR option is available in a year or two for the PS.

I still really want to try out Microsoft's new Flight Simulator though, but will hold off on an XBox for a bit.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ha ha. Also lucky that I already have a Switch, which I thought was just going to gather dust. It's been quite busy.

Now that I have a Switch and a PS5, I am seeing synergies from having two consoles. You get double the game sale opportunities. It'll be interesting to see what new VR option is available in a year or two for the PS.

I still really want to try out Microsoft's new Flight Simulator though, but will hold off on an XBox for a bit.

I bought my kids a Switch for Christmas. I’m kind of done with consoles, though. They don’t care that they don’t have the latest gen console either.

I’m probably going to buy a decent gaming computer at some point this year.

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

I bought my kids a Switch for Christmas. I’m kind of done with consoles, though. They don’t care that they don’t have the latest gen console either.

I’m probably going to buy a decent gaming computer at some point this year.

I was thinking about a gaming PC, so many great deals on Steam. Decided to just take small steps. What games do you usually play?

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I was thinking about a gaming PC, so many great deals on Steam. Decided to just take small steps. What games do you usually play?

I’ve been playing Phoenix Point lately. It’s kind of gotten tedious and I’m a little bored of it, haven’t even finished my first campaign yet. It’s definitely not as interesting as XCOM 2. Civilization 6 is great... except I haven’t been able to play it since Firaxis changed the launcher. I can’t play XCOM 2 anymore, either. I love Rimworld but that games not for everybody. I love some old school isometric RPGs, too. Might replay one of them soon.

I want to get a new computer so I can play some of the more recent Total War games. I wanted to play Cyberpunk 2077, but that game is a hot mess. I’d rather replay some old school classics from my youth which don’t require high powered computing. So really I’m in no rush to buy a new computer.

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ..... OH MY GOD! I forgot about that. I had that game. At the time it was a stitch. 

Let’s not forget Wolf3d.exe

14 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve been playing Phoenix Point lately. It’s kind of gotten tedious and I’m a little bored of it, haven’t even finished my first campaign yet. It’s definitely not as interesting as XCOM 2. Civilization 6 is great... except I haven’t been able to play it since Firaxis changed the launcher. I can’t play XCOM 2 anymore, either. I love Rimworld but that games not for everybody. I love some old school isometric RPGs, too. Might replay one of them soon.

I want to get a new computer so I can play some of the more recent Total War games. I wanted to play Cyberpunk 2077, but that game is a hot mess. I’d rather replay some old school classics from my youth which don’t require high powered computing. So really I’m in no rush to buy a new computer.

I've seen some let's plays of Cyberpunk on PCs and it's not awful as the media makes it sound, it's the console versions that are really bad. If I had a PC though, I'd probably wait till the next patch. Will wait another year I guess for the console version.

I've yet to play an RPG game, I do have Fire Emblem Three Houses and tried that for a couple of hours, but got hooked on something else.

On 2/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, StuM said:

I've been a borderline gamer in the past but simply not enough time anymore.  I've backed off in the past few years and my last addiction was with Call of Duty-World at War several years back.  I loved the Zombies!  I have had multiple consoles over the years but stopped upgrading after my xBox 360.  I still have my PS1 and PS3.  My old Atari (circa 1972) disappeared while I was in college, I'm guessing my parents sold it at a garage sale.  I really wish I had that now.  Growing up when I did during the PC revolution I also played many PC games.  I particularly liked the games where you had to solve clues.  One of my favorites was Myst.  OK, I am pretty sure I've dated myself with this post. 

I guess I need to modify my prior comments.  Today my wife informed me we are the proud new owners of an Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset.  We have not unboxed it but in quickly researching I see we need to use our Facebook accounts to log-in.  We have not accessed FB for a very long time, we should be able to reset the passwords.  Any of you have the Oculus?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a golf game for a console. PGA Tour 2K21 is on sale in the Playstation Store. Haven't played it yet, but disappointed in the limited number of courses available and I thought I would be able to buy something like a Spyglass/Pebble Beach package. Now I can finally play Sawgrass, lol.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Finally bought a golf game for a console. PGA Tour 2K21 is on sale in the Playstation Store. Haven't played it yet, but disappointed in the limited number of courses available and I thought I would be able to buy something like a Spyglass/Pebble Beach package. Now I can finally play Sawgrass, lol.

Let me know what you think. My son has a ridiculously jammed-out PC I’d like to play it on. 

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Let me know what you think. My son has a ridiculously jammed-out PC I’d like to play it on. 

Ahhh, there are courses to download. I'm gonna be looking for Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Cabot Cliffs. Hopefully the course creator is decent.

On 6/28/2015 at 8:34 AM, nevets88 said:

All these pages and not one mention of Minecraft?

Here you go:

Meanwhile, still waiting for more news about Elden Ring. Nothing since it was announced in June 2019. There was a recent leak, which they say seems legit.

I've been working through games I own on my Steam account.

Recently played:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of The Shogun - Tactical game, like Commandos, Desperados etc. Very fun, well made, recommended. Will get Desperados 3 next.

Tomb Raider - Meh. Nothing really engaged me. Uncharted-ish with easy puzzles, easy combat and a lot of climbing and jumping.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Fun gameplay at first, but became a bit stale when I figured out the combat. Story was not very good. Nemesis system has potential, but it didn't tie in with the story progress as well as I'd hoped.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 + Uprising - Big C&C fan and this had been sitting on my account for years. Pretty fun when I got into it, but not as good as its predecessors.

Ori and The Blind Forest - Loved it. I'm a big fan of platformers, especially ones with great visual design and fun mechanics. Will buy the sequel.

Quantum Break - Eeeh. The story never captured me, and that's a lot of the point with such a game. Gameplay wasn't particularly exciting.

Owlboy - Fun little platformer. I enjoyed the story and concept, but the gameplay and mechanics were a bit simple.

Inside - Limbo-like (if that's a thing). Fun story and a lot of great little puzzles. Quite enjoyed it.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - Hmmm. Not a favorite. Gameplay and mechanics are very simple and the story wasn't all that to me.

Abzû - A very special game. Perhaps more of a swimming simulator than game. Visually pretty. Maybe I played it in the wrong mood or with the wrong expectations, but it wasn't that fun.

Roah - Challenging platformer, like Wings of Vi and Boshy. Maybe I got better, but it felt easier than Wings of Vi. Lots of fun gameplay and lots of deaths. Not as good as Wings, but certainly enjoyable.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

and @Vinsk, I prefer the TW games. Every now and then, I'll pull out TW 2004, 2005, and 14.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeph said:

Meanwhile, still waiting for more news about Elden Ring. Nothing since it was announced in June 2019. There was a recent leak, which they say seems legit.

I've been working through games I own on my Steam account.

Recently played:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of The Shogun - Tactical game, like Commandos, Desperados etc. Very fun, well made, recommended. Will get Desperados 3 next.

Tomb Raider - Meh. Nothing really engaged me. Uncharted-ish with easy puzzles, easy combat and a lot of climbing and jumping.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Fun gameplay at first, but became a bit stale when I figured out the combat. Story was not very good. Nemesis system has potential, but it didn't tie in with the story progress as well as I'd hoped.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 + Uprising - Big C&C fan and this had been sitting on my account for years. Pretty fun when I got into it, but not as good as its predecessors.

Ori and The Blind Forest - Loved it. I'm a big fan of platformers, especially ones with great visual design and fun mechanics. Will buy the sequel.

Quantum Break - Eeeh. The story never captured me, and that's a lot of the point with such a game. Gameplay wasn't particularly exciting.

Owlboy - Fun little platformer. I enjoyed the story and concept, but the gameplay and mechanics were a bit simple.

Inside - Limbo-like (if that's a thing). Fun story and a lot of great little puzzles. Quite enjoyed it.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - Hmmm. Not a favorite. Gameplay and mechanics are very simple and the story wasn't all that to me.

Abzû - A very special game. Perhaps more of a swimming simulator than game. Visually pretty. Maybe I played it in the wrong mood or with the wrong expectations, but it wasn't that fun.

Roah - Challenging platformer, like Wings of Vi and Boshy. Maybe I got better, but it felt easier than Wings of Vi. Lots of fun gameplay and lots of deaths. Not as good as Wings, but certainly enjoyable.

I recently bought Ori and the Blind Forest. Looking forward to that.

Have you tried Hades?

23 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I recently bought Ori and the Blind Forest. Looking forward to that.

Have you tried Hades?

Nope. I have never gotten into roguelikes, but not tried too many either. 

22 hours ago, Zeph said:

Nope. I have never gotten into roguelikes, but not tried too many either. 

Hades is a little different, there is a little story built in and doesn't feel as repetitive. Might be worth a shot, it can be pretty cheap on Steam.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, nevets88 said:

Ahhh, there are courses to download. I'm gonna be looking for Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Cabot Cliffs. Hopefully the course creator is decent.

I found Cabot Cliffs (what a course) and Hillside (next to Birkdale) and played both last night. They both seem to be more photo realistic than custom built courses. It's kind of cool when you've already played a course and play it via a game. The game lets you control angle of attack and spin loft, basically for trajectory height and spin. The putting leaves a little to be desired, hard to see the undulations of the green. Very surprised you don't have to pay for extra courses. Will look to see which NY private courses around me are there, like Winged Foot or Sleepy Hollow.

I also found myself improvising LSW shot zones, lol. It's kind of a great way to practice figuring out where to aim, kind of a how would you play this hole.