IGNORED

Video Game Thread

cipher

Played Bioshock Infinite the other day for the first time on a whim. I'd played the first Bioshock a few times and liked it, but never really carved out the time.

Really enjoying Infinite. The graphics are gorgeous (I can only imagine how amazing the details would be on the Xbox One), the story looks cool. The controls are a little different that most shooters, so I might have to re-map the buttons if I can.

Also planning on getting a PS4 once MLB 15 The Show comes out.

I own and have beat all 3 Bioshocks, 3 was the weakest imo.  I rank #2 the best.

I've never played the Fallout games oddly but I think I may start with New Vegas and then try Fallout 4 if I like New Vegas.  I have never been a fan of that post apocalyptic 1950s theme though, I just don't see the humor in it, or if it's supposed to be sarcastic I don't get that either.  Anyway, will see what happens with that franchise during the Steam summer sale.

The game I mostly want to try right now is Witcher 3.  Part 2 was pretty badass and from what I've seen of 3 it looks to be as good.

Lastly, I'm a PC guy and don't know much about what's on consoles.  I know my brother was playing the hell out of Destiny and he seemed to like it but he said he quickly maxed out his toons and it got boring pretty quick.  Last I heard there was some new content so maybe he's back to playing.

I own and have beat all 3 Bioshocks, 3 was the weakest imo.  I rank #2 the best.

I've never played the Fallout games oddly but I think I may start with New Vegas and then try Fallout 4 if I like New Vegas.  I have never been a fan of that post apocalyptic 1950s theme though, I just don't see the humor in it, or if it's supposed to be sarcastic I don't get that either.  Anyway, will see what happens with that franchise during the Steam summer sale.

The game I mostly want to try right now is Witcher 3.  Part 2 was pretty badass and from what I've seen of 3 it looks to be as good.

Lastly, I'm a PC guy and don't know much about what's on consoles.  I know my brother was playing the hell out of Destiny and he seemed to like it but he said he quickly maxed out his toons and it got boring pretty quick.  Last I heard there was some new content so maybe he's back to playing.

I would recommend Fallout 3 over New Vegas. I loved 3 but could not get into NV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Played Bioshock Infinite the other day for the first time on a whim. I'd played the first Bioshock a few times and liked it, but never really carved out the time.

Really enjoying Infinite . The graphics are gorgeous (I can only imagine how amazing the details would be on the Xbox One), the story looks cool. The controls are a little different that most shooters, so I might have to re-map the buttons if I can.

Also planning on getting a PS4 once MLB 15 The Show comes out.

You should see Infinite on a good PC, it's ridiculous. I've recently switched back to playing games like this on PC and the enhanced graphics are pretty crazy over even PS4 and Xbox One. Last year and early this year I got into adding mods to Skyrim... It's amazing what that game looks like with the upgraded graphics textures, character models, and lighting effects that people have created.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a new game called Ark:Survival Evolved out on Steam right now. It's early Alpha, but it is the best Alpha I have ever played ( in terms of stability and features ). It is a resource hog so make sure you have a decent computer.

In a nutshell, it is a survival game in a land of dinosaurs ( as well as Sabretooths, mammoths etc ) with base building/crafting etc. You level up, learn new skills, develop new tools ( from wood burning torches all the way up to gasoline generators ). You tame dinosaurs which also level up. Weather effects ( rain, heatwaves etc ). It is amazing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

I suggest watching some Twitch streams of it - super entertaining.

YOU CAN RIDE A T-REX

There is a new game called Ark:Survival Evolved out on Steam right now. It's early Alpha, but it is the best Alpha I have ever played ( in terms of stability and features ). It is a resource hog so make sure you have a decent computer.

In a nutshell, it is a survival game in a land of dinosaurs ( as well as Sabretooths, mammoths etc ) with base building/crafting etc. You level up, learn new skills, develop new tools ( from wood burning torches all the way up to gasoline generators ). You tame dinosaurs which also level up. Weather effects ( rain, heatwaves etc ). It is amazing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

I suggest watching some Twitch streams of it - super entertaining.

YOU CAN RIDE A T-REX

I actually saw a bit of gameplay from this game by a guy called Seananners on youtube. It looked interesting but not really my type of game.

I would recommend Fallout 3 over New Vegas. I loved 3 but could not get into NV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Played Bioshock Infinite the other day for the first time on a whim. I'd played the first Bioshock a few times and liked it, but never really carved out the time.

Really enjoying Infinite. The graphics are gorgeous (I can only imagine how amazing the details would be on the Xbox One), the story looks cool. The controls are a little different that most shooters, so I might have to re-map the buttons if I can.

Also planning on getting a PS4 once MLB 15 The Show comes out.

You should see Infinite on a good PC, it's ridiculous. I've recently switched back to playing games like this on PC and the enhanced graphics are pretty crazy over even PS4 and Xbox One. Last year and early this year I got into adding mods to Skyrim... It's amazing what that game looks like with the upgraded graphics textures, character models, and lighting effects that people have created.

I read through a bunch of comments on steam about which was better Fallout 3 or New Vegas and New Vegas seemed to win.. slightly.  We'll see I guess, I'm a pretty big graphics snob and it sounds like Fallout 3 is not very impressive looking.  Speaking of graphics though, Bioshock 3 had a great color palette but the background was just completely flat if I remember right.  I expected much, much more from that game, especially after being spoiled by Skyrim and being able to knock objects around and travel anywhere.

I read through a bunch of comments on steam about which was better Fallout 3 or New Vegas and New Vegas seemed to win.. slightly.

Both are great. I liked 3's location/plot better, but the mechanics are much better in NV. Unfortunately, NV suffers from a memory issue that cripples the game engine if you've explored enough areas, at least on PS3. I don't think they ever resolved that problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Ultima Online Renaissance every now and then. This was the original MMORPG that came out back in 1997, and as a kid, I remember playing it obsessively with my friends, much to the chagrin of our parents because it was so time consuming (it still is). The cool thing is, it used to cost a monthly fee to play it back then, but now it's totally free. About 500 users are logged in at any given time which is a far cry from the 10,000 it used to have back in its heyday.

It's a fantasy type world where you create a character: knight, paladin, mage, thief, whatever. You can also be random things like a tailor, blacksmith, alchemist… those sound worthless, but acquiring gold is pretty key and those random workman characters are good for that. Your character has all sorts of traits you have to build up (hence how time consuming it is), but it can get pretty addictive making a good one and going on "adventures" with friends across the vast landscape fighting monsters and what not.

The added bonus is there are people known as "PKs" that really throw a curve ball into the game. A PK is a Player Killer… an evil user who often is involved in a gang of other PKs who roam the land trying to kill the good users. They suck, and I hate them. They aren't allowed in towns because of negative reputation and all have some sort of bounty if you can somehow kill one and bring their head back to town to claim your reward.

Anyway, I play sporadically, maybe once or twice a month for a few hours. I have the itch to log in tonight.

If anyone does play it, my character's name is Constantine and I'm a mediocre mage. I usually hang out in the town of Occolo.

Fallout 4 looks great. I played both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and earned the platinum trophy in each. Great games. I'm a diehard UNCHARTED multiplayer guy. I know it's not a huge market, some here may have never even heard of it. But it's an amazing multiplayer. It's a Sony exclusive so it's no where as big as COD, but it's a brilliant MP. I logged over 1500 hours on the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer and was ranked top 25 in the world at one point. In the .01% club that reached max rank. Same with Uncharted 3. Max rank, 100,000 kills, 2.5KDR. GREAT games.

My roomates and I played the hell out of Ultima Online back in the day.  We were on the Great Lakes server.  I ended up getting banned for swearing at people during PVP :whistle: and moved on to the Everquest franchise which I've played ever since.  I'm surprised UO is still going actually but yeah at the time it was a blast.

I've never played any Uncharted game but I played the hell out of Socom 1 and 2 back in the day.  Too bad the franchise went down the toilet at #3 or whatever, it was a fun game.

Finally gave in and got the kids a Wii U.. I got it with Mario 3d world or something, and the only game I'll probably enjoy is splinter cell.. I don't see too many games out for the Wii u get, but you can play any Wii game on it as well.. I love the game pad it comes with and the whole idea of how the pad acts a firs person view while others see the action on TV.. I ended spending a money on other Wii remotes and stuff, but the kids love it so far. Will see if I can get a decent Wii game to play on it.

Finally gave in and got the kids a Wii U.. I got it with Mario 3d world or something, and the only game I'll probably enjoy is splinter cell.. I don't see too many games out for the Wii u get, but you can play any Wii game on it as well.. I love the game pad it comes with and the whole idea of how the pad acts a firs person view while others see the action on TV.. I ended spending a money on other Wii remotes and stuff, but the kids love it so far. Will see if I can get a decent Wii game to play on it.

We bought one recently too - were not big into video games but my son is getting to that age and we had an old wii fit, and a couple of games that went with it so when he wanted Skylanders, we went the wii route. Then it died, so we bought a U. Currently, other than that Mario world game it came with, we only have and play Skylanders, Mario kart, and Just Dance, which were playing right now. I'm losing. I don't know how to dance.

We bought one recently too - were not big into video games but my son is getting to that age and we had an old wii fit, and a couple of games that went with it so when he wanted Skylanders, we went the wii route. Then it died, so we bought a U. Currently, other than that Mario world game it came with, we only have and play Skylanders, Mario kart, and Just Dance, which were playing right now. I'm losing. I don't know how to dance.

Ha.. Me neither.. I'm a fish out of water in that sense.. Before we left my brother gave me an old Wii sports game he had, bowling, golfing, ping pong and a couple other sports games are on it.. It's could because we set up 4 of us and bowl and stuff pretty neat.. I'm considering buying the sports land thing that is already installed in the system..

• 1 month later...

Scalebound anyone?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/scalebound-8-minute-extended-gameplay-demo-ign-first?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm;_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm;_content=1&utm;_campaign=Coverstory

Kinda seems like the way gameplay is going for these type of games. The fighting system looks similar to Final Fantasy XV being developed.

Making it kinda hard for me to decide for an X-Box One or a PS4. With Final Fantasy 7 being remade. They remastered Final Fantasy X I am torn on which to get. If Final Fantasy 9 ever gets remade that will probably be the deciding factor.

Though Nintendo is making a new Zelda game. That will probably get me to buy what ever console it will be on. I've been playing Zelda since Link to the Past.

Scalebound anyone?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/scalebound-8-minute-extended-gameplay-demo-ign-first?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm;_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm;_content=1&utm;_campaign=Coverstory

Kinda seems like the way gameplay is going for these type of games. The fighting system looks similar to Final Fantasy XV being developed.

Making it kinda hard for me to decide for an X-Box One or a PS4. With Final Fantasy 7 being remade. They remastered Final Fantasy X I am torn on which to get. If Final Fantasy 9 ever gets remade that will probably be the deciding factor.

Though Nintendo is making a new Zelda game. That will probably get me to buy what ever console it will be on. I've been playing Zelda since Link to the Past.

I'm not totally sure on Scalebound . It conceptually seemed really cool at launch, but that gameplay felt a bit slow and clunky, particularly going from the fast-paced fighting to the trudgey walking. That, and I'm a bit concerned it's going to be too easy of a game, seeing how your dragon just demolishes enemies. I'm curious as to what the mechanics to keep you engaged and challenged will be. That, and we're talking about another year-plus wait. I was hoping this could be a spring/summer release. It could do well, not having to go up against the next Halo Wars , Call of Duty , Gears of War , possibly Forza Horizon , and the other holiday stuff.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is also not a PS4 exclusive. It's only said to be going to the PS4 first, but it WILL go to the Xbox One. It could be just a holiday exclusive (meaning an Xbox One release a month or two later), or it could be a full year before it comes to the Microsoft platform, like how Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't getting onto the PS4 until next holiday season, after a launch this holiday season on Xbox One and Xbox 360 (PC is pegged with a generic "early 2016 date at the moment).

The new Zelda is tough to peg. Nintendo pushed it back to 2016 at E3, and now they've changed it to just "TBD," for a release date. However, they have repeatedly stated that it WILL be a Wii U title, not an NX release (well, maybe it goes to both, didn't Twilight Princess or something else got to GameCube AND Wii?). It's just now without even a vague release date anymore. I've not been a fan of the series, and I got Wind Waker HD free with Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U, but I got bored of the horribly long, slow tutorial island and gave up. Still, going for one of those $200 refurbished models on Nintendo's site (or the $235 Wind Waker HD model, if it's still in-stock) wouldn't be a bad buy. There are quite a few games to enjoy on the console, depending on what you like.

Me, I'm jonesing for that Halo 5 Xbox One console, though the $500 price tag's higher than I think it should be (even with the physical add-ins, $450 should be the ceiling). I'm also excited that they're doing backwards compatibility for free with the other Gears of War games as part of buying Gears of War Ultimate Edition . I wasn't going to spend $40 on a single remake, but with the other 3 games included? I might just bite. I'm also super-excited for The Division , and I intend to get Rare Reply and Forza 6 sometime this year. Oh, and all of those pretty controllers, it's insane. I have the basic black one now, along with the nice-looking Titanfall one. I'll probably buy the Master Chief Halo 5 controller and the Forza 6 one as well, while getting the silver Halo 5 one with the console bundle. This is going to be an expensive end of the year...

Scalebound anyone? [URL=http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/scalebound-8-minute-extended-gameplay-demo-ign-first?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm;_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm;_content=1&utm;_campaign=Coverstory]http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/scalebound-8-minute-extended-gameplay-demo-ign-first?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm;_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm;_content=1&utm;_campaign=Coverstory[/URL] Kinda seems like the way gameplay is going for these type of games. The fighting system looks similar to Final Fantasy XV being developed.  Making it kinda hard for me to decide for an X-Box One or a PS4. With Final Fantasy 7 being remade. They remastered Final Fantasy X I am torn on which to get. If Final Fantasy 9 ever gets remade that will probably be the deciding factor.  Though Nintendo is making a new Zelda game. That will probably get me to buy what ever console it will be on. I've been playing Zelda since Link to the Past.

It's to bad you're too young for Legend of Zelda and the Adventures of Link. Those games were great on the original NES.

• nevets88 changed the title to Video Game Thread