IGNORED

Video Game Thread

cipher

Greatest of all time is an impossible question for me. So many good times, so many neglected friends and family. If I had to pick, it would be The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Modded.

I just got skyrim a few weeks ago and I'm liking it a lot so far. I like how many different side quests you can choose to do.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a divisive question.

Greatest Video Game of All Time?

All the GTA games. Mindblowing when it first game out with the top down view, mindblowing when it went 3D at GTA 3.

I'm probably getting a PS4 at some point mainly for Bloodborne. Love the Souls series and looking forward to DS3.

These are always hard discussions, best/favorites of things. People want to judge it from a number of angles (time spent, nostalgia, rankings, sales, etc.). It's really hard to defend, say, the original Super Mario Bros. games against newer ones, which have similar--but deeper--mechanics, along with a greater variety in gameplay and worlds and characters. A really good example is how s friend was recently telling me that Gran Turismo 2 is the best racing game ever, despite his not even playing many of them. He claims that a game released in 1999 had driving physics perfected, and goes so far as to say that even modern Forza games (seen as the leading franchise in racing) don't compete, without even playing most of them. There's too much of a nostalgia bubble around some games for people, myself included.

What I CAN definitely assess is what I'm looking forward to. I was going to get Rare Replay , but haven't had a chance to. I was initially disappointed because they put the games I most wanted to play (the Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie games, which I loved when I was younger) into the 360 emulator, rather than making them native titles, like the retro releases. Luckily, folks are saying they play well in the emulator, so I'll probably pick it up sometime. I'm probably also going to trade in/sell my plain, 500-GB Xbox One towards the Halo 5 LE console, while also being a sucker and getting the second controller separately. I'm also excited for a Forza Motorsport game that isn't sorely lacking for content ( FM5 desperately needed more tracks). I'm also excited for Fallout 4 this year and DOOM and Quantum Break next year. Lots of good stuff coming on the Xbox One.

I'm disappointed for my Wii U, though. Super Mario Maker is single-player only, which really hurts my interest in it. That leaves Yoshi's Woolly World (which also disappoints with only 2-player co-op) as the only Wii U title for me to look forward to. I also am planning to get a PS3 sometime soon (which I've been saying for, like, a year), because I want to play the Kingdom Hearts remakes.

I just downloaded Okami HD from the Playstation Store for $5.60. There are many reviews that praise this game but I think it sucks. There's SO much dialog. I got to a point where I had to paint circles around tree blossoms in a limited time and I couldn't do it so I had to sit though 20 lines of dialog each time I tried. I suffered through this about 5 times and couldn't escape the scene so my only alternative was the quit the whole game.

Best game(s) for me, entertainment wise, Socom 2. Met a lot of friends on this game online and became friends in person later. Another game that was fun and funny to play was Toe Jam and Earl. We used to have a blast with the original Tecmo Bowl... Maybe not the greatest games but great fun at those times.

Not sure how many Destiny players we have, but Xur has the gHorn for sell this weekend ... I think only the second time he has done so.

Yeah, and the first time was like the second week of the game, so no one knew what it was worth, nor had the coins. I plan on logging in for the first time in a few months, grabbing three, and logging right back off.

Yes, good plan, I managed to get 2 through some drops, so I only need one. I believe it was the second week, and I can assure you, I did not have the coins, nor did I even know its value. They supposed are going to Nerf the wolfpack rounds in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
One of the games I've been really enjoying recently is Heroes of the Storm. It's not the typical MOBA game in that the games are short and heavily focus on the team fights, as opposed to lobby and drawn out laning phases with hour long games. In terms of single-player games, I've been having a blast with Borderlands 2 recently. I got it during the steam summer sale and it's been the best purchase I made so far. It's a fun game that doesn't take itself too seriously, focusing on just being fun.

Im happy with the Taken King. Basically $40 for a new game. Picked up NHL 16 too so I dont spend to many hours grinding it out.

I pre-order Blk Ops so I have a while. It took a couple of days for me to realize that this is a new game, and the old year 1 stuff is not any good. I ran a nightfall last night, and is definitely not a walk in the part.

Anyone playing the Taken King? I have really enjoyed it so far.

It seemed a little light on new levels for $40. I played through them in just a few hours. But it was definitely enjoyable, and they've made some big improvements since over the last year.

It seemed a little light on new levels for $40. I played through them in just a few hours. But it was definitely enjoyable, and they've made some big improvements since over the last year.

There are a lot new quests, strikes and a raid to keep you busy. The goal is to get to light level 310 I think. I am currently on 290 with my Titan. However, I certainly agree about the new story levels and had those quickly done with all three characters. We have not tried the new raid yet, the goal is to get a few more of my group closer to 290, and then we will give it a go. I think it is a much improved game from the year 1 game.

• nevets88 changed the title to Video Game Thread