IGNORED

Video Game Thread

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck with that. Those things bit  rot.

What on Earth did Atari make in 1972? I remember the Atari 2600, I sold mine about 5 years ago on ebay for like 200 bucks. But I had the 1977 edition, which I was pretty sure was the very first editio

I had Pong as well as an Atari 2600. My son has about every gaming system known to humanity, but I still reminisce about Leisure Suit Larry. 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

2K will find a way to screw it up. You already can't play as any of the pros. I'd say the same will be true here. Maybe you see him in action, but don't get to play as him, or maybe you don't even see him but are relegated to recreating "iconic TW moments" with him narrating them or something. Moreover, they will likely stick all of it behind paywalls; such practice is par for the video game industry these days unfortunately.

We are far away from the greatness of the early TW PGA TOUR franchise.

My wishlist for a golf video game would include:

1) Optional simulation mode or arcade mode. Developers need to find a way to blend, or at least offer different modes, simulation and arcade into a great golf game. I personally liked the over the top style of early TW games, but I also liked the simulation style of later games like 14. Perhaps the better approach is to have simulation as the default, with arcade features in the game options menu, e.g., Happy Gilmore, in game music (licensed ones at that!), celebrations, etc. 

2) 14-style historic players and equipment

3) large roster of playable pros

4) large roster of courses

5) like 14, all four majors

6) nice graphics

7) greatly detailed create a player and career mode

8) create course mode

9) optional golf simulator integration 

10) online mode, including golf simulator tour

11) a good price

12) not super-grindy or pay to play

Certainly, some golf games do this. Not all of them do it all, however. One can dream.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

2K will find a way to screw it up. You already can't play as any of the pros. I'd say the same will be true here. Maybe you see him in action, but don't get to play as him, or maybe you don't even see him but are relegated to recreating "iconic TW moments" with him narrating them or something. Moreover, they will likely stick all of it behind paywalls; such practice is par for the video game industry these days unfortunately.

We are far away from the greatness of the early TW PGA TOUR franchise.

My wishlist for a golf video game would include:

1) Optional simulation mode or arcade mode. Developers need to find a way to blend, or at least offer different modes, simulation and arcade into a great golf game. I personally liked the over the top style of early TW games, but I also liked the simulation style of later games like 14. Perhaps the better approach is to have simulation as the default, with arcade features in the game options menu, e.g., Happy Gilmore, in game music (licensed ones at that!), celebrations, etc. 

2) 14-style historic players and equipment

3) large roster of playable pros

4) large roster of courses

5) like 14, all four majors

6) nice graphics

7) greatly detailed create a player and career mode

😎 create course mode

9) optional golf simulator integration 

10) online mode, including golf simulator tour

11) a good price

12) not super-grindy or pay to play

Certainly, some golf games do this. Not all of them do it all, however. One can dream.

I haven't played any of the pre2K21 games you mentioned and only have played 2K21 for a limited amount of time, but overall, my initial impression was disappointment in the lack of features and awkward interface. Being in the light rough felt too penal given how well today's players do out of rough. And the greens, their undulations barely even show, uphill looks downhill.

All the points you mentioned would be awesome though. I also thought the graphics would be better in 2K21, it was lacking.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I haven't played any of the pre2K21 games you mentioned

You should check out 04, 05, and 14. 04 is the classic, early TW, over the top game we all loved back in the day. 05 was also really good; it reigned in the style a bit and included historic players, which was nice. 14 is probably the best of the later TW games; it was a simulation game and had a lot of nice additions. Although I liked 10 as well.

• Like 1

I bought and Xbox Series X last year and haven't unboxed it yet. I'd love a great golf game to come out - perhaps I'll open the box and give PGA2K21 a try if it is available. I tried TGC on PC and thought it was okay, but didn't bring back the nostalgia of playing Mario Golf on N64 or any of the Tiger Woods series on Playstation.

Golf games aside, I just started playing Majora's Mask again for the first time in 20+ years on my Gameboy 3DS. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, StuM said:

I guess I need to modify my prior comments.  Today my wife informed me we are the proud new owners of an Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset.  We have not unboxed it but in quickly researching I see we need to use our Facebook accounts to log-in.  We have not accessed FB for a very long time, we should be able to reset the passwords.  Any of you have the Oculus?

OMG!!!! Finally unpacked the Oculus Quest 2 my wife picked up. It is AMAZING!

yet to play any real games on it, just learning to navigate, but WOW!

FF8 finally came to ios. It's the remaster as well.

I'd like to see FFX end up on ios as well. I've got 7, 8, and 9. Loved 7-10 back in the day. Tactics is good, too. Kinda got out of it after 10.

8 hours ago, StuM said:

OMG!!!! Finally unpacked the Oculus Quest 2 my wife picked up. It is AMAZING!

yet to play any real games on it, just learning to navigate, but WOW!

I’ve got the Oculus Rift. Some really cool games/simulators too. VR is definitely one cool experience!

53 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Tactics is good, too.

Love that game. Thought about buying for iOS, but I’ll probably dig the PlayStation out of my basement instead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve got the Oculus Rift. Some really cool games/simulators too. VR is definitely one cool experience!

Agreed, I need to learn to control things a better.  Thinking about getting the Top Golf app,

21 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What games do you like in Oculus Rift? I think they would also be on Quest 2.

so far we have only done Beat Saber.  Just bought Zombieland but have not played it. Also thinking about TopGolf  

5 hours ago, StuM said:

What games do you like in Oculus Rift? I think they would also be on Quest 2.

so far we have only done Beat Saber.  Just bought Zombieland but have not played it. Also thinking about TopGolf  

I can’t recall most the names...lol. Zombie Land is cool, Hot Shot, Mountain Climber one is awesome, Beat Saber is cool too...but my 14 year old schools me beyond belief. The Boxing one is fun, Sports Challenge....I need to get back on it as I’m sure there are new ones out. 

EA announces new game, EA Sports PGA Tour. Hopefully, with 2K's announcement, competition will turn out better products.

038505.0.jpg

A direct competitor to 2K Sports and former partner Tiger Woods

I tried Top Golf onOculus today, promptly returned it.  I felt it was messing with my swing and did not want to risk messing up the real golf game.