Jump to content
IGNORED

2021 WGC - Workday Championship at The Concession


Recommended Posts

Tough day for Victor Hovland. Having a great round - 8 under going into the 9th hole (his last). Sticks his drive into a fairway bunker and from there into the palmettos. Next over the green into the bunker under the far side edge. Out of there and back over the green into the palmettos where he takes an unplayable. Ends up with a snowman on his card after seven birdies! But, class act that he seems to be, no cursing or slurs. No slamming his club into the green. Just a forced smile and fist bumps with his caddie and playing partners.

 

 

 

Sorry. Can't seem to fix the title...

Edited by Zippo
Fixed embed
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to 2021 WGC - Workday Championship at The Concession
1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Tough day for Victor Hovland. Having a great round - 8 under going into the 9th hole (his last). Sticks his drive into a fairway bunker and from there into the palmettos. Next over the green into the bunker under the far side edge. Out of there and back over the green into the palmettos where he takes an unplayable. Ends up with a snowman on his card after seven birdies! But, class act that he seems to be, no cursing or slurs. No slamming his club into the green. Just a forced smile and fist bumps with his caddie and playing partners.

 

 

 

Sorry. Can't seem to fix the title...

Noooo! I had him in my one-n-done!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Noooo! I had him in my one-n-done!

Oops! I think he's gonna be one to watch, down the road, as he gains some experience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Noooo! I had him in my one-n-done!

I have him on fantasy and it still worked out. Idk why but I am sort of rooting for Brooks this week. He had some crazy approach shots today, looking very solid. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

I agree with you

But, I’m not sure he was able (low percentage) to hit the green from the woods or back of the bunker...he’s not the best chipper / pitcher and those were some bad spots on fast greens with runoffs 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

As good as that advice is, perhaps someone should have told him "Don't go from in play into the woods."  I thought the first play from the palmettos was pretty good, he had only one real option for an unplayable lie, and that was to go back to the fairway bunker.  I don't think he had a reasonable 2 clublength drop, and a drop in the bunker is likely to leave a partially plugged lie.  But for his next shot, from the back edge of the bunker, I thought perhaps he would have been better off playing sideways rather than towards the flag.   Given the location in the bunker, I didn't see any way to get it out and hit the green on the line he chose, it had to come out low and hot.  Of course, I've never understood the level of skills these guys have, maybe it was a good choice, and poor execution.

I definitely admired his responses at the time, and in the interview afterward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

But for his next shot, from the back edge of the bunker, I thought perhaps he would have been better off playing sideways rather than towards the flag.   Given the location in the bunker, I didn't see any way to get it out and hit the green on the line he chose, it had to come out low and hot.  Of course, I've never understood the level of skills these guys have, maybe it was a good choice, and poor execution

When I saw the stance he was taking in the bunker, and how steep he had to swing, and what looked like a lie on the downslope, the first thought I had was that personally I would go out sideways or backward, because I would totally thin it over the green, or leave it in the bunker. Of course, PGA Tour players are miles better than me out of bunkers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice win by Morikawa today.

Nice to see so many wearing red and black for Tiger, too Not just at this tournament but at several others as well including an LPGA golfer.

And, an excellent round by Hovland. A terrific shot from the edge of the weeds today. I enjoy watching him play. His round highlights here.

 

On 2/27/2021 at 4:34 AM, boogielicious said:

I saw it live. And while watching, I recalled some advice @iacas gave me, The first rule of short game shots is to not leave yourself with another short game shot.

Ha! Good one. I'm gonna remind myself of that, though I think that can apply to drivers, too. Several put their drives into the water leaving themselves with another driver shot and laying 3...

Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Zippo said:

though I think that can apply to drivers, too.

Only if driver to the water is a common occurrence. Usually, hit the driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...