IGNORED

Playing With Your Children

Based on some of the recent forums, I searched for this topic a couple of different times, and was surprised that it didn't appear.  I was actually expecting multiple forums, from the kind and gentle version of "playing" to the hardcore "Embattled" version (see the movie if you want to be afraid...)  Regardless, there is not a doubt in my military mind (and the occasional intoxicated one), that my favorite rounds of golf have been played with my amazing son! 

Regardless of how much better he gets at golf (and how far he can hit the ball now!) , I am somehow able to just get the better of him when we actually get to play.  OTOH, when we are lucky enough to play three consecutive days together, my scores get progressively worse,  his get better, yet MY enjoyment continues to grow...

Please share your joyous experiences playing with your children as well as your loved ones!

I envy you. I tried to get my boys interested in golf. Unfortunately they got hoodwinked into the massive cult known as Baseball. Most miserably handled sport in existence aside from it being remarkably boring as well. 

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Vinsk you are 100% regarding the cult.  My high school JV Baseball Coaches son was a golf fanatic.  Baseball guys seem to envy golf guys and vice versa.  REGARDLESS, your sons are and will always be your sons.

18 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

@Vinsk you are 100% regarding the cult.  My high school JV Baseball Coaches son was a golf fanatic.  Baseball guys seem to envy golf guys and vice versa.  REGARDLESS, your sons are and will always be your sons.

Time Out Guys...This is NOT my response in any way, shape, or form.  WTF?  Baseball Coaches???

It definitely seems like a HACK occurred here. How on Earth did such a fraudulent text get attributed to me???

I never was able to golf with my father.    I had no real interest because the neighborhood kids played baseball, basketball, football and hockey.   

I coached my son in soccer for 15 years.  He also played basketball.   During that time we didn't have an interest in golf.   It wasn't until I changed job locations and was asked to play with a co-worker that I took up the game.   By that time, my kids had no interest in golf.  

I wish...

My son is way better than I ever was at every sport but golf, so far. He’s only beaten me once at what he admits was the worst he ever saw me play. I started him playing at about 8 with his older sister. He caught the bug she never did. We haven’t played in probably over a year and a half since he live in another state and the whole COVID thing. Hopefully this summer we’ll get to play again and hopefully he hasn’t caught up. I’m not being competitive or anything like that.

1 hour ago, HoganApexFan said:

Time Out Guys...This is NOT my response in any way, shape, or form.  WTF?  Baseball Coaches???

It definitely seems like a HACK occurred here. How on Earth did such a fraudulent text get attributed to me???

Yeah I’m confused. Are you making a joke or did you really not respond with this? If you’re joking that you don’t want any baseball coaches to see your response in fear of baseball wrath...I get it. Sooo...what’s up?

Playing with your kids is my number one goal of golf... There are some really easy things you can do to make it more enjoyable right away that will improve your game also. 

• Like 1

My son is my regular golfing partner.  A couple years ago I was better/longer than him.  Last year he passed me in scoring and length.  Now he kicks my butt.  Dang teenagers.  They grow so fast.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I’m confused. Are you making a joke or did you really not respond with this? If you’re joking that you don’t want any baseball coaches to see your response in fear of baseball wrath...I get it. Sooo...what’s up?

I wasn't joking, and I really don't know how the response looks like I actually posted it (and didn't even know how to that @ thing until I just typed it now!)  I played baseball every year from little league through HS, including summer leagues, and never thought of it as a cult (but members of cults don't know they're in one, do they?)  I'm a fan of Mike Malaska and like how he can relate baseball swing concepts to the golf swing.  Wally Armstrong also relates baseball swings to golf swings in a seminar/exhibition.

My 17 year old son is really my only partner.  I joined a league last year just to play more and with other people. It will be weird when he goes to college in the fall. Definitely need to find new partners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davechen said:

My son is my regular golfing partner.  A couple years ago I was better/longer than him.  Last year he passed me in scoring and length.  Now he kicks my butt.  Dang teenagers.  They grow so fast.

That is so awesome!  I remember when my son first started outdriving me with his smooth, effortless swing...and he was only 135 pounds soaking wet!  Took him a few more years to start beating me regularly though.

@The Flush  Hopefully your rounds together this summer will be the best ones yet!

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get my 7 year old kids into it.  We play 9 and they'll hit a few shots but mostly just ride along.  We'll start them on some light instruction this summer. 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, davechen said:

He kicks all our butts!

My dream is what @davechen has--a good kid who is as obsessed with golf as he is. 

• Like 1