IGNORED

What Constitutes Slow Play?

PSherrard01

1 hour ago, reidsou said:

I hope you gave him feedback and a chance to clean up his act before ghosting him. 

He was given feedback multiple times last season.  He would simply fall back on "If I do not feel I'm ready then I will wait".   I can't prove cause & effect but this year our league has not been warned a single time of slow play by the course and our last group has always finished with a gap between us and the league behind us and we only rarely have to wait on the group ahead. 

We did have one week where I saw a backup forming ahead of us and I texted the guys in the lead group and they all stepped it up and cleared the blockage quickly.

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

I've not played Arcadia Buffs but have older friends that filled their bucket list there.    They were playing with nobody in front of them or behind them and the ranger made them skip a whole.   They aren't very good golfers but when I play with them it's always under 4 hours.   They play ready golf.

I've not played Arcadia Bluffs but was told they tell people ahead of time to expect a slower round and to enjoy it and feel free to take pictures.  Maybe I was misinformed.  Still, if course is open behind you there is no reason to skip a hole.  It is possible the Marshall was aware of something the golfers did not see.  Sometimes a group will see a slow group ahead and simply slow down themselves by taking practice putts & chips instead of advancing to the next tee just to stand and wait.  The Marshall may have seen a backup coming and acted proactively. (OK, I've never seen a Marshall act proactively but it is possible).

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Big C said:

- I have no idea why a ranger would call attention to your pace of play on a course that is mostly empty. I suppose he might want you to know for future reference, in case the course was more crowded next time. But if that were the case, I would expect him to say something like "you guys are fine for now, but I wanted you to know that the expected pace here is 4 hours for 18. Enjoy your round fellas."

One time back at Great Gorge, NJ, a ranger told me and the other person I was with that if we could step it up a little bit to catch the group in front of us, that would be appreciated.   There was no one behind us.   He said that he wanted to say something to them, but needed someone waiting on them to do so.

51 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

One time back at Great Gorge, NJ, a ranger told me and the other person I was with that if we could step it up a little bit to catch the group in front of us, that would be appreciated.   There was no one behind us.   He said that he wanted to say something to them, but needed someone waiting on them to do so.

Ummmmm, so he did not want to say something the group ahead of you because he needed someone to be waiting on them, but told you to pick it up even though there was nobody behind you?  Sounds a little contradictory.  Maybe he was trying to be gentle in telling you to pick it up?

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Ummmmm, so he did not want to say something the group ahead of you because he needed someone to be waiting on them, but told you to pick it up even though there was nobody behind you?  Sounds a little contradictory.  Maybe he was trying to be gentle in telling you to pick it up?

He spoke to us very nicely. Looked like Wilfred Brimley.   We thought he had an axe to grind with them.   

13 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

He spoke to us very nicely. Looked like Wilfred Brimley.   We thought he had an axe to grind with them.   

Yesterday a marshal was lurking in the woods on the greenskeeper's roads, staying out of view, observing the pace of play.  Waved at me, seemingly a nice guy.  Threesome in front of our foursome was dreadfully slow.  There was an entire open hole in front of them... a par 5 in this case!  He never spoke to them.

22 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yesterday a marshal was lurking in the woods on the greenskeeper's roads, staying out of view, observing the pace of play.  Waved at me, seemingly a nice guy.  Threesome in front of our foursome was dreadfully slow.  There was an entire open hole in front of them... a par 5 in this case!  He never spoke to them.

He was probably too busy gasping from the smoke and heat!