IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Ceej

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

A bit viral now, but if you haven't seen PostModern Jukebox, they're doing some pretty cool takes on various hits from different eras, transforming them into all kinds of classic styles:

All About that Bass (3-piece jazz style)

Nice @RandallT. This escaped my radar. On first watch of Kate Davis. I thought, who is this woman? She's gonna be a star. Then I looked her up and her career is starting to take off. I love that she's a double bassist.

Agreed. I was floored by her, so I've watched stuff on her channel. The pianist seems to be the driver behind the PMJ thing, and he brings in different talent for each song. They do some really incredible stuff. They do a cover of "Talk Dirty to Me" where they translate the rap to Yiddish! That song always reminded me of a Yiddish style. I think they do Blurred Lines as a hoedown style. Lol. Interesting interpretations with talented musicians and singers guest-starring in different ones.

Her voice. I hear Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, a bit of Aretha Franklin. I can't find he cover of Radiohead's Creep, but she did one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whoops, Creep cover is someone else:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Eva Cassidy covering Cyndi Lauper

Steve

Currently listening to:

See you on the other side - Ozzy Osbourne.

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Wolfie! That's WAM, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a bit of his Requiem. I think it'll be used in an upcoming European Tour commercial.

16 million hits. Nice to see such sublime music appreciated.

Steve

House of Cards OST, composed for string quartet:

Steve

Lady Gaga made me thing of this piece, My Favorite Things. Now as you read along with the music, it looks not hard, but you have to have the golf skill level equivalent of a plus handicap to pull this off. Some of the sections - like hitting a 325+ yard drive. It sounds like there are two pianos going at once.

Steve

Lady Gaga made me thing of this piece, My Favorite Things. Now as you read along with the music, it looks not hard, but you have to have the golf skill level equivalent of a plus handicap to pull this off. Some of the sections - like hitting a 325+ yard drive. It sounds like there are two pianos going at once.

Hey @nevets88 ever heard of Zez Confrey? I read one time he was a huge star in his day but has been mostly forgotten. I got a CD of his for Xmas years ago. Incredible piano work. Kinda ragtime/jazz/standards style. I may go give a listen as it's it's been a while. One song Dizzy Fingers was to show amazing speed, as I recall. Fun upbeat stuff mostly

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:

Hey @nevets88 ever heard of Zez Confrey? I read one time he was a huge star in his day but has been mostly forgotten. I got a CD of his for Xmas years ago. Incredible piano work. Kinda ragtime/jazz/standards style. I may go give a listen as it's it's been a while. One song Dizzy Fingers was to show amazing speed, as I recall. Fun upbeat stuff mostly

No, that's a fun piece. Will check out his other pieces.

This is also fun, very Scott Joplin.

Steve

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the embeds! I was at doc office and couldn't bring myself to search and embed here. Easier on the computer.

Edward Elzear "Zez" Confrey was born in Peru, IL, and began to play piano at the tender age of four.

Upon discharge from the Navy, Zez Confrey joined the QRS piano-roll company as a pianist and roll editor. Confrey would make nearly 200 piano rolls during his lifetime, mostly editing them himself. Zez Confrey was regarded as one of the sharpest roll editors in the business, especially when it came to his own compositions. One of his first QRS rolls was an original number entitled "My Pet," and with this work Zez Confrey single-handedly ushered in the field of novelty ragtime, a style that took on structural features of French Impressionism and did not suffer amateur pianists gladly (although they were nonetheless welcome to try!). In 1921, Confrey scored a huge hit with "Kitten on the Keys," which sold over a million sheet-music copies and made Zez Confrey a household name in popular music;

Over time, "Kitten on the Keys" would become the third most-frequently recorded rag in history, after Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag" and "Twelfth Street Rag" by Euday Bowman.

Also in 1921, Confrey began to make phonograph records, and by 1932 had appeared on records made for Edison, Emerson, Brunswick, Victor, and HMV. In the case of the last three concerns, Confrey was backed by a pickup orchestra, usually led by Walter "Gus" Haenschen or Nathaniel Shilkret. Confrey didn't take making recordings nearly as seriously as he did making rolls and publishing sheet music -- in one case it is known that pianist Phil Ohman sat in for Confrey on one of the records by "his" orchestra.

On February 12, 1924, Zez Confrey appeared as a soloist, billed above George Gershwin, in a few numbers at the historic Experiment in Modern Music concert at Aeolian Hall, where Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" was premiered. Later that year Confrey moved from QRS to the Aeolian company, but by the late '20s, Confrey's roll-editing output began to slow down. He continued to compose and publish music until his retirement after World War II. Zez Confrey's extensive output ultimately contained many character pieces for piano, pop songs, mini-operas, and teaching pieces. Afterwards, Confrey's celebrity faded, and in the end he succumbed to Parkinson's disease at the age of 76.

Despite the variety of works Zez Confrey undertook, it is as the "King of Novelty Ragtime" that his reputation is made. In addition to "Kitten on the Keys," Confrey is also known for the popular song "Stumbling" (1921) and pieces such as "You Tell 'Em Ivories" (1921), "Coaxing the Piano" (1922), "Dizzy Fingers" (1923), and "Nickel in the Slot" (1923). These are all considered classics of the novelty ragtime genre, and a few have even become standards within instrumental jazz and pop literature as well. Zez Confrey wrote his last novelty rag, "Giddy Ditty," in 1935.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:

Quote:

This was my favorite from my CD. That guy you found is amazing. I am starting the video about 27 seconds into it, and the next section has the coolest riff. His right hand is playing kinda two things at once. His rightmost fingers doing some Sponge-Bob squarepants thing in the highest registers. His thumb and forefinger doing a melody slightly lower. Then his left hand going nuts down low. Fun stuff.

My Swing

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/10793/what-are-you-listening-to/2178#post_1111619"]   [QUOTE name="RandallT" url="/t/10793/what-are-you-listening-to/2160_40#post_1111610"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/10793/what-are-you-listening-to/2190#post_1110498"] Lady Gaga made me thing of this piece, My Favorite Things. Now as you read along with the music, it looks not hard, but you have to have the golf skill level equivalent of a plus handicap to pull this off. Some of the sections - like hitting a 325+ yard drive. It sounds like there are two pianos going at once.  [/QUOTE] Hey [@=/u/2024/nevets88]@nevets88[/@] ever heard of Zez Confrey? I read one time he was a huge star in his day but has been mostly forgotten. I got a CD of his for Xmas years ago. Incredible piano work. Kinda ragtime/jazz/standards style. I may go give a listen as it's it's been a while. One song Dizzy Fingers was to show amazing speed, as I recall. Fun upbeat stuff mostly[/QUOTE] No, that's a fun piece. Will check out his other pieces. This is also fun, very Scott Joplin. [/QUOTE] This was my favorite from my CD. That guy you found is amazing. I am starting the video about 27 seconds into it, and the next section has the coolest riff. His right hand is playing kinda two things at once. His rightmost fingers doing some Sponge-Bob squarepants thing in the highest registers. His thumb and forefinger doing a melody slightly lower. Then his left hand going nuts down low. Fun stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it @RandallT , I listened to a lot of Kate Davis after you posted her.

Steve