IGNORED

Something wrong with golfers these days... (re: equipment)

ArjunGFX
Note: This thread is 5645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had to re-read this thread...and I do think the OP has a valid point.

I have been guilty of buying a certain piece of equipment thinking it would fix a problem or cut strokes. In my case I can afford it, so it's no big deal.

My buddies and I have had this kind of discussion all the time..take Pro-v's for example..for us using a high dollar ball doesn't make a damn bit of diff., we are not good enough to warrant the ball. Now I do believe a lower handicap player would be able to tell the diff., he or she has the ability to produce spin on any given shot.

I do agree with the statement that lessons would go further in your game than buying a driver or shaft that seems to be the newest, hottest thing.

I think the OP is just saying that, while equipment is important, knowing how to use it is a much more important factor.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing - for those of you starting out, I would actually recommend practicing feel shots with hard Top Flites and stuff like that - people wonder how I hit such buttery, handsy flop shots with a fast swing speed. the answer: i learned to do it with xl2000s, so imagine how i can do it with pro V1s.

I started with that kind of stuff too. I played 1970s irons and woods until I forked over the cash for Titleist blades in the 80s. Today I play with top of the line stuff.

I guess my thoughts are, sure I could drive my first car a 1961 Pontiac Catalina, I'm capable of it. Just because I could drive an old Pontiac, why not drive my Porsche 911 (996). It's current technology, easier to drive and much faster, but both would actually get me there. I'd just have more fun in the 911! Oh, and I can make a Top Flite range ball stop DEAD when I flop it. I can also do this with a ProV1.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I've been meaning to post this for some time and I'm curious what y'all think.

The biggest advance in equipment technology in the last ten years is marketing. A lot of people think they can buy a game.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

The only thing I would add is that some folks take pleasure in paying less for a perceived higher-cost item. Essentially some people just like to find great deals whatever their hobby.

Yeah i am defiantly guilty of this.

Im a 14 and have been putting a lot of work in on my launch angle. I suggest everyone work on it. You see, if I hit a bad shot and throw my driv er at 45 degrees, I get the optimum distance. Im working on adjusting the swing weight so that it helicopters better. I can spin a Porche 911 better with my 60 than my 56. If I really want to spin a range ball, I put 2 in a bunker and hit them both at the same time. One really spins. Cool huh? Yep, about as ridiculous as launch,spin rate, moi, blah blah. Give me a friggin break. Just practice putting...Putting....Putting.

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

Steel, I think you need to take a breather man.

Dude, read the thread title...."Something wrong with golfers these days"....and you say I'm quick to judge?? This guy says that everyone is wrong for doing what they want to do. It doesn't get more judgemental than that.

Read his post again. Its nothing but him JUDGING others for what they are doing and praising himself for the way he did things when he started. As if his way is the right way. What if its the right way for him but not others?? Why is there "something wrong with golfers these days"?? Because they choose to buy the best equipment they can?? Because rather than post crappy scores and overly long rounds and hundreds of lost balls playing blades or other clubs that require more skill and feel, they choose to play a cavity back and enjoy some success at the early stages of their golf. Or maybe a closed face draw bias driver that will give them awesome distance and play inside middle to left vs waaaay right. Hey, if a man wants to dump his disposable scratch on some new sticks that do nothing but go straight with little or no feel, MORE POWER TO HIM. Let him shoot in the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe you both forgot, the right way to play golf is to play it how you enjoy playing it. The one thing that has always been wrong with golfers is the judgemental stuck up attitude where they are the best and everyone else is below them. Generally labeling an entire class....a lot like the thread title does.

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

I played with 1984 Ben Hogan Apex blades for about 4 years, bought them at a garage sale and reshafted them, I liked them alot, broke the 7 iron at the hosel last year (on a normal tee shot), then finally admitted to myself the grooves on the scoring clubs were shot.

Current irons were bought on ebay (perfect fit 1/2" longer, 2* upright), but my 5 and 7 iron were stolen, along with a new Ping lob wedge that I left in the cleaning bucket at the range (got a phone call and got side tracked)

Next set will be blades again, I really liked them better (not because I am some wannabe mini tour poser...but i felt it focused me more on solid contact), probably start the ebay search soon (mizuno).

Anyway, always tinkering with drivers and driver shafts "trying to buy a game", have a spine alingning tool and good shaft puller. Actually just tip trimmed my driver shaft last night 1/2", much more solid today on the course, straighter...

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I guess I've always looked at buying clubs the same as buying cars! You should buy what brand you have confidence in and what feels right for you! I just think that more important than a club being designed to help the higher handicaps is that the player have confidence in that club and that brand.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I know that a lot of golfers base their selections on the LOOK of the club..If it doesnt look good they wont even pick it up...I can tell you that a lot of golfers are very feel oriented...meaning they tinker around with stuff until they feel comfortable--golfers are very sensitive people my firiend--just look at all of the competitive banter on the forums--Best Wishes

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

the chip on your shoulder...is huge.

what do you even mean by that and who is it directed to? have you been drinking?

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

the chip on your shoulder...is huge.

Thanks. It's designed to fit my shoulders.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

When people start talking about Driver size, long drives, equipment, and its driving you nuts, one simple question will stop it all:

Its like those big ego scratch golfers that feel like they should be on tour, and act like super a$$es. I prefer: "You're away"

In my bag:

360 10.5 44.5 Prolaunch
300 Tour 15 EI-70
V-Steel 21 (POS!, bye bye) TA-7 Tour 4-PW 56 & 60 588's Anser 2 Laddie (Why??)Mini bottles of Jim Beam...Oops.

Arjun: I don't subscribe to the "Piling On Mentality". Your post was excellent and I totally agree with what you intended to convey. Not meaning to circumvent your discussion topic, but you appear to be young, intelligent, educated, and reside in Boston. My Son is a few years older than you, intelligent, educated, living, and working in Boston, and is searching for a good teaching Pro. He was a Tennis teaching Pro while in College and for a couple of years after graduation, and now wants to concentrate on his Golf game. Can you recommend a good instructor? My Son lives in South Boston. Appreciate any help.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Heck I cant hit a three wood to save my life. I hit the cleveland 2i hybrid and liked it. Couldnt find a 1i anywhere in town so I just ordered one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? Just a few bucks. If it gets me a little more confidence then it is worth it. If it adds one green or fairway every round or so that is gravy.

I think the 3 handicap's swing will deteriorate with super forgiving clubs. You should use the least forgiving clubs you can, to keep your swing sharp.

Hmmm, tell that to PGA pros who play cavity backs.

Hmmm, tell that to PGA pros who play cavity backs.

Agreed..

I think of my "game improvement clubs" like training wheels. Sure they help me now while I'm learning, but eventually I'm going to want more performance.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Agreed..

I have a full set of shafts and grips just waiting to have some blades put on...I am really curious just how much diff. I'll play.

Most of the teaching pro's I know ask me...." Why do you want to make the game harder"? I however have to see for myself...I'm stubborn like that..

Note: This thread is 5645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!