IGNORED

Something wrong with golfers these days... (re: equipment)

ArjunGFX
Note: This thread is 5665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Agreed..

It depends-i think a lot of people overestimate "working the ball" Ive played a lot of golf and have to tell you that working the ball is overrated..I agree with you about training wheels but i dont think ill ever trade my eye 2's in for a forged blade simply because I just like the feel of a cavity opposed to a forging.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
It depends-i think a lot of people overestimate "working the ball" Ive played a lot of golf and have to tell you that working the ball is overrated..I agree with you about training wheels but i dont think ill ever trade my eye 2's in for a forged blade simply because I just like the feel of a cavity opposed to a forging.

I think the best player in the world "works the ball" on virtually every shot and that those who can "work the ball" will tend to be a better player than you.

I think a lot of people underestimate "working the ball."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the best player in the world "works the ball" on virtually every shot and that those who can "work the ball" will tend to be a better player than you.

I was talking about course design--working the ball on most courses in the United States is overrated...Several windy areas such as Great Britain and Texas --you have to work the ball to compete with the wind..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Not picking a fight here but I disagree that working the ball is overrated. I'm not gonna say I'm good at it because my "power fade" is a total joke, but the benefit seems real obvious to me - part of becoming a better player is playing strategically, which anyone can do if they think hard enough, but to have

options to think about you need to be able to play the ball as is most beneficial. I think working the ball is a big deal. If you're not there and you're having enough fun, who #%@%ing cares if you want to spend some cash on nice stuff? That's like saying there's something wrong with Americans who buy automatic 2-door coupes. There's nothing wrong with them; they're enjoying it. On the broader scale of this thread, I agree with SteelDriver that judging a whole group is very silly.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Not picking a fight here but I disagree that working the ball is overrated. I'm not gonna say I'm good at it because my "power fade" is a total joke, but the benefit seems real obvious to me - part of becoming a better player is playing strategically, which anyone can do if they think hard enough, but to have

Yes-but how many times in a round is it really "necessary to work the ball" granted there's no wind...........and youll only find really tough tucked pin positions on Sundays in PGA Tour events--

I don't think the question is when is it necessary , but rather when would it be beneficial.

Like some drives have increased margins for error as a cut rather than a draw, and vice versa. Some pitches and chips and things can have trajectories that might be better.

Working the ball isn't just for a tucked pin. Frankly, hitting at a green from anything more than about 170, for me, is folly if I can't sort of cut the thing a little - my normal draw just rips through the green and into the back. "Working" the ball helps me here, and that's at almost any pin.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Working the ball is beneficial, but only if you can really do it. I know a lot of 20 handicaps who naturally fade, and think that they can 'work' the ball because they can aim leftto get a slight draw on a drive. That's not working the ball. For the low handicaper who can draw, fade, spin the ball back, knock it down, hit it high, etc, that is working the ball.

If working the ball is not overrated--then why do most PGA Tour pros carry 460 cc drivers that are impossible to turn the ball over.---especially on "tough" driving courses?..IMHO

If working the ball is not overrated--then why do most PGA Tour pros carry 460 cc drivers that are impossible to turn the ball over.---especially on "tough" driving courses?..IMHO

I've only been to 1 PGA event, this years PODS.

Followed some of the lesser known guys who were playing smart (trying to make the cut) and they pretty much put the ball off the tee just about where ever they wanted, also it was very windy. They were working the ball very well, especially into a 25mph wind on some of the holes.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

they often use very workable clubs. Just because they are 460cc doesn't mean they are unworkable. Titleist 907D2, Titleist 905R, Taylormade Superquad TP, Callaway Ft-5, Nike Sasquatch Tour... The Pros carry workable drivers. You won't see many Sumo 5900s or Burners(non tp)s out there The only one I can think of who doesn't play a workable driver is KJ Choi(Sumo2).

• Administrator

You are, once again, wrong. Simply because a driver is 460cc does not mean it's not workable. Pros work the ball fairly frequently, particularly against breezes or around doglegs. Some might prefer to drop to their 3-woods to do it (Chris DiMarco has said as much on Playing Lessons), but they still move the ball both ways, change height, etc.

You're full of it once again. Based on what you continue to say in this forum, I also really, really doubt you're a 2 handicap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are, once again, wrong. Simply because a driver is 460cc does not mean it's not workable. Pros work the ball fairly frequently, particularly against breezes or around doglegs. Some might prefer to drop to their 3-woods to do it (Chris DiMarco has said as much on Playing Lessons), but they still move the ball both ways, change height, etc.

Agreed. I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at it but I know plenty who can play whatever shape desired using the big boys. My lack of ability is why I'm a 7 instead of a 2 or less. Iacas may be right.

I agree with you about height--but a lot of the courses on Tour are 7200 yard courses that you can bomb away at-- thus--working the ball is not as frequent as may may wonder--BTW-i was a 2 handicap at the end of last fall and i hope to be close to 1 by the end of summer.

Best Wishes

People obsess over equipment because it's fun to do. Look at any hobby - photography, woodworking, knitting, you name it - and avid practitioners of every skill level go ape over really nice gear. It's not a golf specific syndrome.

Exactly! I think 75% of the fun for your average weekend hacker is showing off their new toys. ^_^ Nothing wrong with that if they've got the spare money. I agree it won't improve their game much.

In Le Bag:

Driver: Burner 420 (circa 2002)
3-Wood: Original Bubble Burner (circa 1998)
5-Wood: noneHybrids: noneIrons: Silverscot Forged TourWedges: SV Tour BlackPutter: Black Series i #1Bag: Edge

I really didn't want to read through all 10 pages of this thread so this may already have been mentioned.

Isn't a lot of golf mental? If I feel more confident hitting a new 460 cc driver vs. a older 320 cc driver, or even better a persimmon head driver, won't I hit it at lease "better" than the older drivers. Another example, if I stand over a 30' putt with a Scotty Cameron vs. a $10 stick I bought at Walmart, won't I strike that putt with more confidence with the Scotty Cameron? From my personal experience I have found that my confidence level has increased with better equipment.

Another issue I have with your thread is your audience (this forum). This is a golf enthusiast forum, most members here are not your typical weekend duffer, most are hard-core golf enthusiasts who live and breathe golf. We are club-ho's, we watch the golf-channel more than any other channel, we think that a new driver, or new irons are going to get us another 10 yards, or a few feet closer to the pin. Now the 10 more yards may only put us at a 240 yard drive, but if that new $100 shaft will get us there than so be it.

Just my $.02.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

they often use very workable clubs. Just because they are 460cc doesn't mean they are unworkable. Titleist 907D2, Titleist 905R, Taylormade Superquad TP, Callaway Ft-5, Nike Sasquatch Tour...

There are more players than just KJ Choi... Els was using the FT-i... but, generally you are correct. Plenty of 460's that are workable on tour, and most will use a tour issue model with lower MOI, etc.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I've only been to 1 PGA event, this years PODS.

haha working the ball is not overrated...

I saw Tiger play at the deutche bank at TPC Boston and on hole he hit a strong fade on a short * 300yd par 4 and hit it on green and two holes later hit a massive draw down a massive par 5 about 380yds thats some control for you

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 5665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!