IGNORED

Something wrong with golfers these days... (re: equipment)

ArjunGFX
Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You think golf is bad, you should try drag racing! There is no end to equipment purchasing, repurchasing, and re-repurchasing. It's also MUCH more expensive than golf. At the end of the day, though, the person with the best reaction time usually wins. That equipment is eye, brain, foot.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one seriously funny and interesting thread.

So if I understand correctly women buy $500 shoes because the more they pay the more they actually enjoy the shoes, that is so cool!

The whole thing about equipment v.s. lessons v.s. practice v.s. etc. got me to thinking. If I'm really serious about improving I should get to the gym and work on some fitness and flexibility. How many strokes is proper conditioning and fitness worth?

I tried to Google this but couldn't find anything useful. Does anyone have any info on what has happened to the USGA index curve over the last say 5, 10, and 15 years ? I recall reading and article and it implied that over the last 15? years the bulk of the golfing public has hardly improved their index while the really accomplished players have benefited the most from the equipment revolution. Or put another way, the average weekend golfer does drive the ball further and hit irons further but doesn't really score too much better because of it. The really accomplished golfers turn those extra yards, spin, and control into lower scores.

I haven't been golfing that long but it seems like it's not only equipment that is improving, the courses themselves are dramatically advanced especially for the public golfer with the advent of upscale daily fee courses. Mix fairways that stimp faster than some of the greens I've played with big headed driver and custom fitting and it's heady stuff.

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started last year with a set of "hand me down" clubs with "pot metal" hosels. After about 6 trips to the driving range I lost three clubheads to the range when they sheared off for no apparent reason and decided to fly about 30+ yards into the range.

I'm new, don't know what a "good" club is, but I'm pretty sure that I think I want the most durable, most unforgiving club set I can get at a reasonable price. (unforgiving, because I want to know that if I can hit the club in question and get the ball to do what I want, then I should be able to do it with a more forgiving club)

I'd love to get to the point where I'm playing better than bogey golf regardless of the brand of club I'm using (pipe dream?). And I refuse to buy a "draw" driver or wood to cure my occassional slice because I don't want to reinforce a bad habit.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Huddleston
Always looking for people to golf with in Memphis

In My Bag - Gigagolf
Driver/Woods: GX Squared Ti 10.5 -- 3W: GX Squared Fairway 15

Hybrids/Irons

3 HY: GX920 Hybrid 20 -- 4 HY: GX920 Hybrid 23 -- 5-9: GX920 Irons

Wedges

Pw: GX920 46 -- Aw: GX920 51 -- Sw: GX920 56 -- Lw: GX920 60

People obsess over equipment because it's fun to do. Look at any hobby - photography, woodworking, knitting, you name it - and avid practitioners of every skill level go ape over really nice gear. It's not a golf specific syndrome.

I agree whole heartedly! This game is frustrating enough for many...me and even the scratch golfers. If you have the cash and wish to stock up on good reputable equipment, then at least you have only one thing to blame if you play poorly. YOURSELF!! It's called process of elimination.

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

• 4 weeks later...
It's been a while since anyone posted on this topic. I guess all of the passions that were raised by the original question have cooled. It’s obvious that the question has provoked a great deal of thought but like most important questions, few, if any, important answers. I have decided to reply now with the fervent hope that no one actually reads this thinking they will find any answer to the question, or even worse, feels compelled to respond to it. My comments are not really meant to address whether modern equipment fixation is causing something to be wrong with golf today. What follows is rather a very personal statement about my own equipment addiction and why I intend to do something radical about it. Take from it what you will.

Several weeks ago, I was moving things around in my office and came across my father’s beautiful, very old, Kroydon 2-wood. I have kept it behind my office door since my dad died in 1999. Because the door is almost never closed, I almost never see it. But there it was on that cool rainy day, sitting and waiting patiently for me to pick it up again. Other than the new grip Daddy put on just before he died, it looks exactly like it looked 50 years or so ago when I first remember seeing it. It’s wonderfully aged persimmon head, fluted shaft, and perfect balance had not changed. When I put my hands on the grip, memories of the man who swung it, the man who taught me how to play the game, and the man I alternately loved and hated for fifty years, came back in a rush. I could still see the old Louisville Slugger blades and the bronze Ben Hogan putter he used I recalled the wonderful times he and I shared chasing little white balls around innumerable courses, how important I felt pulling his ancient pull cart behind me – because I was his caddie. I remembered how as a kid I was in awe of the precision with which he struck the ball, the predictability of the little draw that he hit, and the beautiful arc – starting low, then rising into the sky – of almost every drive I ever saw him hit. All of those wonderful memories from that old Kroydon 2-wood.

What’s “wrong” with my golf today is that I traded the opportunity to leave my son an equally tangible part of myself for a failed quest. Because I quested for the holy grail of the perfect golf club, I cannot leave anything to my son with the same powerful attachment that my dad’s club has for me. You see, “my clubs” have changed 10 times in 10 years. I, like so many others, have fallen victim to the rapidly changing technology of golf and the promises of instant results that we buy them for. I have had at least 5 sets of irons, 4 drivers, 4 different sets of fairway woods, three sets of hybrids, and more putters than I can count since my dad died. Unfortunately, all produced equally unsuccessful results. Not surprisingly, I have almost the same handicap I had 10 years when my equipment addiction started and very little to show for all of my effort.

Fortunately, I do have great golf memories with my own son. When he was ready to learn, I taught him all that I know about the game. My son and I have played a lot of golf together, had great moments, and shared days on the course that I hope will stay with him long after I am gone. What he won’t have, unless I do something radically different in my golfing journey, are “my clubs” to channel memories for him as my dad’s clubs do for me.

Therefore, I have decided to do something different. I sold off my collection of failed golf experiments. I took the proceeds and bought a set of Titleist muscle-backed blades. I also bought a new “old” Louisville persimmon driver on Ebay. This winter, I will add two new “old” persimmon fairway woods. I have turned my back on the panacea that modern golf equipment has promised us of excellence without perspiration. I am going back to the game I first learned from my dad almost 50 years ago. I am convinced that my game will not suffer. In fact, I really believe that in the long run it will actually improve. I am aware that my “new” clubs are cranky and do not suffer poor swings gladly. I am prepared for a loss of distance, occasionally wounded ducks, and ugly fluttering flameouts. I am willing suffer these humiliations because, in the long run, I will learn how to avoid them by actually working on my swing again. I am fortunate that all of the damage that modern equipment has done has not completely ruined the swing I learned from the wonderful teacher who spent hours working with me – my dad. I have a great foundation to rebuild my game on.

But, even more importantly, it is my intent that this set will be “my clubs” for the rest of my golfing life. I am convinced that golf clubs are different than other sporting equipment (with the possible exception of shotguns, pool cues, and ball gloves). If we use them long enough, in some metaphysical way, a part of our being is imbedded within them. In short, they become “ours”. At least I hope so. (I am also convinced, in case of golf clubs, that the new stuff doesn’t have same capability to store dreams that muscle-backed blades and persimmon headed woods have. Titanium woods and perimeter-weighted, cavity back irons simply lack soul.)

I have no idea what my son will do with my clubs when he inherits them. But I hope that some rainy day, he might find one hiding behind his office door. I hope that it will invoke a memory or two of the times we shared. If that is the case, I can’t help but think that I will feel that I have accomplished something important. If not, it will still be wonderful for me, thinking that I tried. So, if you come upon an old man on some tee-box and you notice a worn bag full of equally old clubs - be very respectful. Remember, he is not only playing the game he deeply loves. He is also weaving dreams.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

You think golf is bad, you should try drag racing! There is no end to equipment purchasing, repurchasing, and re-repurchasing. It's also MUCH more expensive than golf. At the end of the day, though, the person with the best reaction time usually wins. That equipment is eye, brain, foot.

Comparing golf to drag racing is like comparing an apple to a bowl of rice. They are COMPLETELY different in just about every aspect I can imagine.

-Rich

I personally think that equipment is important in some cases, for example: you have a 120 dollar set of irons and hybrids and woods. Not even a complete set, with horrible balance, etc.
Then you need new clubs. But if you have perfectly good, complete set from a couple years ago, then I don't think worrying too much, unless you break one or something, is a good idea.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 11* w/ Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue 65R
Woods: Big Bertha 3 and 5 wood stock shaft, Light flex
Hybrids: None
Irons: Viper Tour 4-PW -1", 4* flat
Wedges: X-Tour 52.11*, 58.9*Putter: Classic 3 33"The Thing That Goes In The Hole (hopefully): NXT Tour"30 minutes a day keeps...

So, if you come upon an old man on some tee-box and you notice a worn bag full of equally old clubs - be very respectful. Remember, he is not only playing the game he deeply loves. He is also weaving dreams.

that's a pretty big assumption right there, don't you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

What’s “wrong” with my golf today is that I traded the opportunity to leave my son an equally tangible part of myself for a failed quest. Because I quested for the holy grail of the perfect golf club, I cannot leave anything to my son with the same powerful attachment that my dad’s club has for me.

My putter is almost 40yrs old and was given to me by my grandfather who bought it new. He gave it to me in the mid 80's and back then a "Ping" putter was something special. Today I see a lot of nice putters being made that are simply trying to improve on my putter, and those are certainly some pretty special putters too. But I know my putter. It has a good lie at address, and it makes a satisfying "ping" when you make clean contact with the ball. I know how the ball is going to come off it's face and I've got a pretty good sense putting with it for speed and distance. That's a feel I've developed over years of use, you don't get that from buying a nice new putter. I'm not saying I'll never buy or use another putter, but this one's a keeper. I'm sure one of my sons will be happy to take it off my hands one day.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I hate when golfers look down upon other golfers because his/her handicap is "high." Golf is a game that is meant to be enjoyed. If buying new equipment allows a few miss hits to go further and a few poor shots to be playable then who is going to put a price on that enjoyment?

I am not a great golfer - but I still really love this game. I also enjoy playing with new equipment. I do have a family member who is a scratch and his old clubs look battered. He constantly has misplaced an iron and doesn't carry rescue woods or many wedges (one sandwedge) and still shoots low 70s.

And I thought that was a great post smith5606

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

I hate when golfers look down upon other golfers because his/her handicap is "high." Golf is a game that is meant to be enjoyed.

I agree. There is a negative connotation associated with the term "high handicapper". I play in a league with a group of guys with a wide range of skill...meaning there are a few that legitimately need the max handicap. That being said, I really enjoy playing with them. Everyone knows the rules of golf (for the most part), plays "ready golf", and fixes divots and ball marks.

Last year I was a member of a country club and played in the Saturday morning group with a bunch of low handicappers. Quite a few were as arrogant as could be. In a $2 Nassau, you would see some of these guys openly rooting for you to miss a putt, blade a chip, push a drive...one time a guy in my group yelled "YES!!!" after another player missed a 6 ft par putt. Are you freakin' kidding me??? Whether someone is fun to play with or courteous depends on his/her overall personality...not skill.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

that's a pretty big assumption right there, don't you think?

Compared to most of the assumptions I made in my post, that is one of the minor ones.

~In true gravity,

G E S

I've been meaning to post this for some time and I'm curious what y'all think.

Excellent point made. Couldn't agree more. Hope your target audience takes note.

I agree with the original poster that many get so intrenched with the technical parameters of golf equipment.

However, as a novice, I do like to read about the different equipment. I don't buy into getting premium balls, until I reach a certain level (breaking 80 on a regular basis, for example).

There is a lot of technical talk that really confuses me. I just tried to find a set of clubs that I can play and feel comfortable about it.

Some books that echo what the OP have stated are below:
Search for the Perfect Club
Mad Science of Golf
Just Hit It
The Right Sticks

However, Tom Wishon and folks like Tomasi/Adams do recommend certain modifications to a beginner's set:

Use the 3 wood, instead of the driver
Use a shorter driver rather than stock
Replace long irons with higher lofted woods or hybrids
Using the appropriate putter for your putting stroke

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Just to throw a little gasoline on the old fire, I found this quote from Katsuhiro Miura in a October 1, 2008 press release, announcing the introduction of his latest muscle-backed blade. When asked why he would be introducing a smaller iron when the industry standard now seems to be mid-size and oversize irons, Mr. Miura responded:

"Industry fads mean nothing to me. These fads are developed by the marketing departments of the equipment manufacturers simply to boost sales and have little to do with performance. (Emphasis added) What I care about is creating the most perfect performing golf clubs for golfers, and different golfers have different preferences. I believe there is a class of golfer who will very much appreciate the qualities of the Small Blade, and I have made this club for these golfers. This club is for two kinds of golfers - the first being the golfer who generally strikes the ball on the sweet spot and who wants to simply enjoy the unique pleasure of a perfect shot hit with a Miura club - the second being the golfer who really wants to improve and is looking for the most intelligent feedback on every shot he or she hits. Frankly, if people can cleanse their minds of the marketing hype that has been fed to them over the years, they might find that that forged blades are not necessarily only for the single digit handicappers. You are not penalized for mishit shots to the degree people believe and there are many advantages to these clubs, for example the Small Blade cuts through rough more efficiently than any other club."

I seem to remember an old axiom that says (pardon my paraphrasing) that if you repeat something enough times, it becomes truth. I wonder if someday, we won't look back on the "equipment revolution" of the last decade or so and come to realization that what was promised was only an illusion - that there is no short-cut to good golf that can be found in a golf shop. You have to hit the ball in the middle of the club face, control your swing path, have a good tempo and balance. Feel, ability to read a green, a steady hand, and a deep, unabiding love for the game and all it represents don't hurt, certainly. I'm not saying, I'm just saying . . .

~In true gravity,

G E S

I seem to remember an old axiom that says (pardon my paraphrasing) that if you repeat something enough times, it becomes truth. I wonder if someday, we won't look back on the "equipment revolution" of the last decade or so and come to realization that what was promised was only an illusion - that there is no short-cut to good golf that can be found in a golf shop. You have to hit the ball in the middle of the club face, control your swing path, have a good tempo and balance. Feel, ability to read a green, a steady hand, and a deep, unabiding love for the game and all it represents don't hurt, certainly. I'm not saying, I'm just saying . . .

Alright I have stayed quiet long enough. My bull

meter is finally off the chart. You guys act like buying new equipment is the root of all evil. If someone wants the newest equipment so what. If you want to go back to hickory shafts and gutta percha balls then more power to you. But this holier than thou attitude towards the equipment industry is a crock. You realize that wanting newer better equipment, no matter what type of equipment it is, helps fuel the economy if nothing else. Where would the golf industry be if every golfer out there only bought equipment one time and played with the same stuff for their entire lives? Its no secret that someone has to still swing the club technically sound in order to be a good golfer. You cannot buy a golf game. But if you think that todays clubs offer no more forgiveness than those 20 years ago, you are wrong. Modern equipment makes the long game more enjoyable to the masses, even though they still don't score much better. In addition, Titanium drivers have soul, so do cavity back irons, mallet putters and hybrids. Your equipment is what you make of it. If you have new stuff then who cares if someone else prefers the more archaic versions, if you like your 1972 Hogan blades, it does not neccessarily make you more of a golf purist than I am, get over yourselves. And quoting Miura!? Please, the guys irons are some of the most expensive in the industry and he is trying to sell his stuff just like everyone else is? Does he not come out with new equipment on a yearly basis, just like everyone else? He badmouths the industry and then plays by the same rules they do. What a hypocrite. So, if you want new irons get new irons, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the latest and greatest. I hope when I die my kids say, "Hey dad left us some great new equipment, lets go play golf."

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I'd agree with the concept that the player impacts the score more than the technology.
However, I gotta disagree with you that its concerning for mid and highhandicappers keeping up on the latest and greatest.

I view it like the guy that has the hotrod in his garage and drives it once a month or so but tinkers around with it every night. This is enjoying for a lot of people.

For me, playing golf is the best, but when I can't play; reading, chatting and examining new products gets me by until the next round. The idea of making product changes that will improve my game a lot or even a little is exciting.

EDGE stand bag
S9-1 PRO S - Matrix XCON 6
Rapture 14 degree Aldila VS
DWS Baffler 2 Hybrid Adila stiff
A7 4 hybrid USTAXIVAP1 710 5-GW KBS StiffCG14 - 54.1262.07 Vokey Spin MilledWhite Ice BladeGolf BallsBlack TP & Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!