IGNORED

Detroit Area Golfers Thread

Billy Z

Anybody playing golf this week and where?

I'm playing tomorrow at Sanctuary Lake

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hoping more Mi golfers post here as this is a general thread.

Today I played 18 holes at Sanctuary Lake, Troy. I shot an 83 from the blues (6123yds). This day, weather wise, was as good as any summer day, anytime. 50*, pure sun, and a gentle 4mph wind. A golfer couldn't ask for a much nicer day! I shot an 83 and had a birdie in the mix on a par 5. Surprisingly, the course was very dry, sort of browned up, and the greens were as you might expect this time of year, a bit inconsistent. Great day though, with two very enjoyable singles I got matched up with. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody play golf this weekend? Post your experience. I am playing Plumbrook tomorrow.

I'm playing Genesee Valley Meadows tomorrow and Sugarbush Monday.   Early tomorrow morning about 37°!

• Like 1

Yes, that's a bit on the cold side but it is going to warm up very quickly!

I have "played" three times so far.  I put play in quotes as my game is terrible, even by rusty beginning of the year standards.  My medical issues seem to have messed with my swing more than anticipated.

At any rate, Whispering Willows, Golden Fox and Leslie Park were in great shape for March.  We may give it another try at a Metro Park before the end of the month..

I played Golden Hawk in Casco yesterday and was a bit disappointed. I know it's early but I played there last fall and wasn't impressed then either. It seems like the upkeep is going a bit down hill: cart paths have pot holes in many places, practice putting green grass is spotted with burnt out spots, carts don't have wind shields on them, tee boxes were over used looking with divots, and general maintenance of grounds and clubhouse seemed a bit shoddy. Maybe some of it is the time of year, but not all of it. It looks like the type of muni that attracts leagues/outings where a lot of drinking goes on. We were waiting behind about 5 other groups to tee off and each group had bags full of ice with 6 packs in them. It seemed like many play golf just to have an excuse to drink. I can drink a beer or two, but after a round is better, but even then you have to watch drinking and driving. Our group's common opinion was that we will not go back there to play.

• 1 month later...

I play Golden Hawk fairly regularly (at least 2x a month). I find that conditions vacillate greatly, not unexpected considering the course is built on an old clay seabed. Just like all the courses  in the area, it is slick as snot in spring, hard as a freeway in August, and impossible to find a ball in the fall because the winds off the lakes keep the leaves moving at a pace the grounds crews have no chance of keeping up with. I have never had an issue regarding the service or responsiveness of the staff, so I keep going back. And the course fits my 61 yr old butts game, not too long, not too demanding, but it penalizes bad decisions.

45 minutes ago, Esox said:

I play Golden Hawk fairly regularly (at least 2x a month). I find that conditions vacillate greatly, not unexpected considering the course is built on an old clay seabed. Just like all the courses  in the area, it is slick as snot in spring, hard as a freeway in August, and impossible to find a ball in the fall because the winds off the lakes keep the leaves moving at a pace the grounds crews have no chance of keeping up with. I have never had an issue regarding the service or responsiveness of the staff, so I keep going back. And the course fits my 61 yr old butts game, not too long, not too demanding, but it penalizes bad decisions.

Interesting comment, glad you enjoy it. My comments are based on how the course was kept up about 5 years ago, to today's condition.  I get the feeling that the quality is going down, sort of be bled out for money. JMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Heather Hills golf course today, and it is a pretty good challenge. A lot of elevation change, tight fairways and tricky greens prove to be a good test. I was not on my game today and shot a 94. My short game stinks right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Playing Greystone Monday. Haven't played there since Taylormade came out with Burner Bubbles (1995 or so). I won three closest to the pins at a good sized outing there, the prizes were all Burner Bubble drivers. The pro shop did trade in two of them for fairway woods for me.

I always enjoy Greystone.

• Like 1

The last 3 holes make the course challenging.  Every time I've played there, the course was in very good condition.

I always look forward to the par 3 #16.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I always look forward to the par 3 #16.

If I recall correctly #2 you hit a cut to the left side of the green and it will feed down to the middle. #16 hit a knockdown wedge  from the elevated tee to the left back of the green and it will spin back to the middle of the green?

12 minutes ago, Esox said:

If I recall correctly #2 you hit a cut to the left side of the green and it will feed down to the middle. #16 hit a knockdown wedge  from the elevated tee to the left back of the green and it will spin back to the middle of the green?

I guess it matters who is hitting the shot and how they shape the ball. Those are both fun par 3's, in part because they are both elevated tee boxes, with water and sand around them. I don't do well trying to hit a fade, I hit more of a draw shot. Number 2 I've got to start it right of the pin and draw it in, which always is a mental game with the water looming there. Number 16 is always a distance critical Par 3, so that is my main concern.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with the condition of some of the greens at Greystone. Hundreds of unrepaired ball marks. Can't blame the course, that would be the people playing it...........

• 2 months later...