IGNORED

What Priority Would You Give to These Golf Buddies?

PeaceFrogg
Note: This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Peace Frogg... I would not show "B" this thread...

I doubt his wife allows him to visit golf discussion forums, lol.

7 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

He answered your question by saying whoever signed up first. Credence is given to the person who demonstrates the commitment to play by signing up. Pretty simple. 

After all the (boorish) information provided, first come first served is not an answer.

7 minutes ago, StuM said:

It just seems A&D are easy going and will simply say “I’m In” of “I’m Out” without drama so they were easy top two for me.  

B seems less interested in golfing with you and wants to do it his way of the highway so last priority.

E only comes to play with C, he really does not seem to want to golf with you, not as much drama as B so he gets 4th.  C gets 3rd by default since B & E went to the bottom of the list.

Sorry, maybe some clarification is needed here. A just wants to get out there with anyone, because he's a player and simply wants the reps. He plays by himself during the week but welcomes the company on Sundays. But, he will speak up when it's just me and him and will book other courses because he knows I'm the only one up for it. he sends random texts about golf to me. B doesn't play with anyone else except for outings, but is constrained by his wife. C only plays with me period. It's like he (and E) only play when I ask them to. D is completely easy going. He has friends to play with, but they stink and he welcomes the opportunity to play with better golfers.

5 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

Sorry, maybe some clarification is needed here. A just wants to get out there with anyone, because he's a player and simply wants the reps. He plays by himself during the week but welcomes the company on Sundays. But, he will speak up when it's just me and him and will book other courses because he knows I'm the only one up for it. he sends random texts about golf to me. B doesn't play with anyone else except for outings, but is constrained by his wife. C only plays with me period. It's like he (and E) only play when I ask them to. D is completely easy going. He has friends to play with, but they stink and he welcomes the opportunity to play with better golfers.

Maybe I was too hard on E, but still A & D sound easy to coordinate with so they get 1st choice, B just seems too constrained so last to call.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

After all the (boorish) information provided, first come first served is not an answer.

It is an answer. You may not like (or appreciate) the answer, but it is factually an answer, and a simple one at that. No need to over-analyze your relationships here. @Double Mocha Man gave you a simple general rule to apply to your situation: first come, first served. Moreover, it is more likely to work in the long run for a couple of reasons. For instance, one or more of your preferred companions may not be able to play. The general rule of first come, first served fits neatly here. Or alternatively, all of them may want to play. The rule would fit neatly here as well, so as not to provide an arbitrary result. Also, if you send out the message, and you want to play at the course where the other companions won’t play, again, the general rule applies neatly here because those companions simply won’t sign up. 

Why are you trying to make this harder than it needs to be? You’re not exactly pondering difficult legal or medical issues here. 🙂 

Edited by ncates00
  • Like 2

(edited)

19 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Why are you trying to make this harder than it needs to be? You’re not exactly pondering difficult legal or medical issues here. 🙂 

I would say it's not as cut and dried as you (and the original poster you're defending) make it out to be. and that you're really not considering the question as posed.  And, as a partner in a CPA firm, I can assure you that I face decisions as difficult if not more as legal or medical issues on a weekly basis. Seems to me, that you are trying to instigate something more instead of just providing an answer to something you deem so simple. 

Edited by PeaceFrogg

24 minutes ago, StuM said:

Maybe I was too hard on E, but still A & D sound easy to coordinate with so they get 1st choice, B just seems too constrained so last to call.

Thanks for the feedback.

12 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

I would say it's not as cut and dried as you (and the original poster you're defending) make it out to be.

Maybe not, but life doesn't need to be complicated, especially as it relates to playing golf with buddies.

13 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

you're really not considering the question as posed.

I, and the other guy, did. You simply don't like the response given. You asked. We answered. I like the first come, first served rule as a general rule. If you want to carve out exceptions, do so. 

14 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

And, as a partner in a CPA firm, I can assure you that I face decisions as difficult if not more as legal or medical issues on a weekly basis.

Awesome. That's great. J.D. for me; business transactions. I've got buddies that went the accounting route and work or worked at E&Y before going a different direction. And what you guys do isn't more difficult; whether legal, medical, accounting, financial services, etc., they're just different. Our clients' troubles often begin by stating "my accountant had this great idea..." and we have to clean up what the CPA's did.

Nonetheless, your comment about you being a partner at firm, and my subsequent comment here are irrelevant to what I said initially when I said that your relationship decisions aren't exactly legal or medical issues. That's a strawman.

Either way, good luck to you moving forward.

(edited)

Maybe not, but life doesn't need to be complicated, especially as it relates to playing golf with buddies.

I, and the other guy, did. You simply don't like the response given. You asked. We answered. I like the first come, first served rule as a general rule. If you want to carve out exceptions, do so. 

Awesome. That's great. J.D. for me; business transactions. I've got buddies that went the accounting route and work or worked at E&Y before going a different direction. And what you guys do isn't more difficult; whether legal, medical, accounting, financial services, etc., they're just different. Our clients' troubles often begin by stating "my accountant had this great idea..." and we have to clean up what the CPA's did.

Nonetheless, your comment about you being a partner at firm, and my subsequent comment here are irrelevant to what I said initially when I said that your relationship decisions aren't exactly legal or medical issues. That's a strawman.

10 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

You've wasted a lot a time and energy for something you've deemed so simple.  Placed on ignored.

Edited by PeaceFrogg

Okay, as someone who is also tasked with getting the times for his group to play each week I will tell you how we do it. First, I have to book times a week in advance so I always know when and where the next time will be before we play.

SO:

1. The guys that are playing that week get first dibs. If all 4 are in next Sunday then everyone else is S.O.L. 
  2. If we have a spot open I send out a text and the first one to answer is in.

Do consider getting maybe a couple times and making a larger group. We will have 2-3 foursomes in the summer, it makes for a good time. You can play some good games and get a chance to play with a variety of people each week.

Finally, you need to tell player B to retrieve his testicles from his wife's purse because you don't want to play a shitty executive course because his old lady runs the show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

34 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

You've wasted a lot a time and energy for something you've deemed so simple.  Placed on ignored.

Maybe refer that book you mentioned for yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Damn, I thought swing thoughts were difficult.

I think I'd be booking for the times I want, letting the guys know, and golf with whoever shows up.

Seems pretty obvious, I'll never be that booking guy.

I'm asked to do this for customer groups at work. PITA. Its like herding cats. 

I book one round with some workmates, annually. Never ending changes and non commitment.

I book once a year with in-laws for the annual golf trips.

PITA. Cat herding.

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Paragraph breaks can do wonders.😉

I was actually thinking bullet points. 🤪

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

While I have no dog in this fight, and am blessed with a wife who routinely uses phrases such as "I want to sleep in Saturday, will you go golf or something?", I have a brother whose wife sees things very differently. He is the least likely person to be able to spend an all day time with someone else as his wife wants him home. She is fine with sometimes him being away for a couple hours, but she wants him around so is not happy if he is gone 6 or 8 hors at a whack.

All the people just blasting B...you are welcome to your opinion, it is valid, and certainly if you are setting tee times and have someone like that in your group it is well within your rights to ignore him...but I am willing to bet based on the limited information we have that A) he has a strong marriage where he and his wife enjoy spending time with each other and B) the OP enjoys time with him on the golf course. 

Throwing him out because his wife likes to spend time with him when, if the times are available and they work for others, that seems...I will call it an interesting choice. From what the OP said, he enjoys their golf outings together.

Would I prioritize him? Depends on the availability of tee times that work for him and my personal desire to hang out with him. It just seems like a really weird critique that "His wife likes having him around so I wouldn't want him around"

I've organized enough golf stuff over my years that I've decided to make things simple.  First to commit gets to play.  Commit, and then back out, you may not get invited as much.  Anyone that has very specific requirements is welcome to make his own plans, and if I'm included, I'm happy to join in.  But I'm not going to go out of my way to please one (demanding) person in a bigger group of guys.  Occasionally I'll try to do it, but not as a regular thing.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I would just book a tee time and those that accept are in. It seems like you are putting too much stress on yourself to accommodate each golfer.  We have about 6 friends in our group and one guy always sets up a tee time, and those who respond play golf.

• Like 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I would hang on to player A very tight.  You and him run the show.  I run a golf group for 300 people and he is the one who has the biggest influence over what we do.

Then player C then the others.  Player A is a rare breed and if you are like that player then stay with that person first and foremost.  

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

21 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Book your tee time for a foursome.  Sounds like you're the guy with a plan. Put out an email or text to all your golf buddies letting them know the first 3 responses are in!  To the other laggards, too late, I'll check with you next week.  Early bird gets the tee time...

Exactly.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!