IGNORED

Most appropriate wedge for 20-30 yard shot?

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Generally i would use a 60 degree because i like to fly the ball to the hole...Whenever you use a less lofted club--the harder it is to judge the distance the ball will roll..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Generally i would use a 60 degree because i like to fly the ball to the hole...Whenever you use a less lofted club--the harder it is to judge the distance the ball will roll..

Its much different for me. I feel the ball is more predictable on a chip or a bump and run than a lofted shot. I imagine my arms as kind of a clock motion on the way back and whatever time i swing the head back to is what I will get in roll/backspin. But I guess everyone feels different things.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I was wondering, which wedge is most appropriate for 20-30 yard shot, or a shot just outside the green which cant be hit with a putter. I sometimes find it hard to stop the ball to roll from there.

Well, I am just going to assume you are not severely hampered by being short sided or anything else.

Hit your Sand Wedge to land halfway to the hole. It will roll the rest of the way. Do some research on Phil Rodgers' "Rule of 12". A Sand Wedge is an 11 iron. Subtract that from 12. You get 1. That means the ball will roll as far as it flew. A 9 iron = 3 meaning it will roll 3 times further than it flew.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Well, I am just going to assume you are not severely hampered by being short sided or anything else.

very insteresting theory!

doesn't work with a lob wedge tho a lob wedge is a 12 iron so you get 0. no roll.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I hate to say this but it depends. I might use almost any club, whatever suits my eye. They key is to understand that you don't HAVE to land the ball on the green. Here are a few of the shots I might choose:

1. If there is some rough between the ball and the hole and if the pin is cut reasonably close, I might hit a chip pretty hard that lands in the rough, then bounces and trickles out onto the green. This could be anything from a 7 iron to a sand wedge, depending on the rough. The important part is to make sure it's hit hard enough to get onto the green. If you're putting you always have a chance.

1a. I've done the same with a sand wedge or a gap wedge, hitting a medium-low trajectory pitch that lands in the rough maybe 6 inches to a foot short of the green in the rouh, then trickles out. Great high percentage shot.

2. I might hit a medium trajectory pitch with a 56 or 60 degree wedge, that lands on the green and rolls towards the hole.

3. If I'm on the fairway and there's no rough in the way, I might chip with a hybrid.

4. I might also chip with a 5 iron. It's a great shot. I really sort of putt the ball with the 5 iron. I take my putting grip and putt it. It's a deadly accurate shot. It ain't sexy, but your score will be.

5. I might hit a low spinning chip with a 60 degree wedge that comes out screaming with a lot of spin, lands on the green bounces a couple times and slams on the breaks.

6. If nothing else suits my eye, I might flop a 60 degree wedge. Actually a flop is my best short game shot, but I avoid it whenever possible. No matter how good you might get at the flop ( and I holed 4 or 5 last season), it can create some very bad swing habits. Use it with caution.

There are more, but those ones come to mind.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Exactly - I don't carry one.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

It depends on the hardness of the green and the speed as well. It is a good starting point though. It also depends on the trajectory of the shot.

I find that to be reasonably accurate for medium trajectory pitch and run type shots, until you get to the lob wedge. For me a medium trajectory lob wedge flys 2/3s and runs 1/3.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Club choice is totally dependant on skill level, what you are comfortable with, what dangers you have in front of you, etc... It is totally situational

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Club choice is totally dependant on skill level, what you are comfortable with, what dangers you have in front of you, etc... It is totally situational

exactly, could be a lob wedge if there is water or bunker in front of you.

G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

Where's the "any club in your bag option?"

Excellent choice! I was wondering the same thing.

Without any other knowledge, I'd be using my 56° wedge though. I do have a 61°, but I've have too many mixed results with it, so from that yardage, and nothing else to go on... 56° wedge.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

• Administrator

I think most people - and better players especially - would disagree with you. The general advice is to get the ball on the ground as soon as possible - the opposite of what you're saying.

I'll use whatever club I'm most comfortable with. That's usually the lowest lofted club that lets me avoid trouble ("trouble" can sometimes include the fairway or fringe).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ince when i was like the only one on the course from 60 yards i used my tm 5 rescue i got it to 10 feet. is that feel or what. yah right it was pribably a fluke

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I usually use my 58* and open the face, get to land and stop.

What's in the bag

Driver: 9.5* 905R w/ Proforce UST V2 (X)
3w: UST Proforce FW stiff 15*
Hybrid: 585H 19* Aldila "by you" xIrons: CG1 3-PW s300 dynamic goldWedges: 53*/58* Putter: Mid SurBall: whatever I feel like buying that day

It really depends on what the shot is telling you to do. Where's the pin? Just of the front(flop) Deep into the green with alot of green to work with(pitch and run) Up hill or down hill. Cut lie or hook lie? This is why you need to work on many different types of shots and build confidence in each one when it presents it's self....bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!