IGNORED

Sum up Your Golf Game in One (Actual) Hole

(edited)

I had a fun thought this evening: if you had to sum up your entire golf game with the shots you made on a single hole (one that actually happened, and that you remember well enough to describe), which would it be?  Why?

Mine would be this bad boy, where I carried a drive about 250 yards on a Par 4 within 10' of the pin, and three-putted.

image.png

A perfect microcosm of my golf game: wildly inconsistent, kinda entertaining, and with a significant (negative) difference between my putting/short game and my full swing shots. 

Edited by Hardspoon
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47E25ED0-CCDC-4D2C-AE6D-BEE93B676486.jpeg

This one is from two years ago, but it fits. Blasted my drive 40 yards right of my intended target, got away with a thinned iron that inexplicably went farther than I thought it deserved to go, then somehow hit a 3/4 wedge to 3’ and made birdie. If I missed this green I probably would have bogeyed this one.

Every hole is an adventure when I play golf. I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I think this one sums up my current game.  Generally hitting the ball pretty good, with a sprinkling of inexplicable shots (these days it's a random shank, or a violent hook).

1299672212_Screenshot2021-03-30102017.png.a3abbdbb894373dceb81eff0501e84e1.png

This was from 2 years ago, where there were days where I had no clue what the ball was going to do.

1705773680_Screenshot2021-03-30103019.png.06ccda33ffc6fcbc1b11683456197eef.png

Don't have pictures but it's a dog leg left with another hole running along side it. Tree line all the way down the left side and the fenced off maintenance facility is in play for slicers. If you hit a straight drive off the tee you'll be on the green or in the fairway of another hole depending on your line. Once the tree line on the left tapers off the green has a pond on it's left side, it's not really in play though.

Okay so now that the picture is painted here is my golf game. It's a 381 Par 4.

1. Drive the ball 260-280, normally hit a good draw on this hole.
  2. Come up short with a scoring iron in hand because I think I'm Justin Thomas and hit further than I actually do.
  3. Chip shot onto the green.
  4. 1 or 2 putt depending on how well the chipping is on the given day.

15 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I had a fun thought this evening: if you had to sum up your entire golf game with the shots you made on a single hole (one that actually happened, and that you remember well enough to describe), which would it be?  Why?

Mine would be this bad boy, where I carried a drive about 250 yards on a Par 4 within 10' of the pin, and three-putted.

image.png

A perfect microcosm of my golf game: wildly inconsistent, kinda entertaining, and with a significant (negative) difference between my putting/short game and my full swing shots. 

That seems oddly familiar...

Current state of my game waiting on worker's comp to approve treatment on my knee.

Hd Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

This was from my worst round of last year.  Shot 10 on Par 5.  Started with a crappy 154 yard drive followed by a topped 3-Hybrid going only 47 yards followed by one of my best 3-Hybrids ever going 229 yards but landing in a divot hole in the rough that I took a stroke for unplayable (huge gouge, ball was over 50% below the level of the ground).  Then 7i into the crap for another stroke penalty.  Finally a Lob Wedge on to the green to finish with a 3-Putt.

Golf Hole.png

1194537675_Loch4a.thumb.jpg.58c3674929f8295d73b1549942e38f29.jpg

You could call me a hooker.

Or you could say,

"A nice lady who caresses the balls to the right and brings them back to the left with good hands at impact."

• Administrator

I don't have a picture, but I can describe it.

• A slightly heeled driver to the right edge of the fairway.
  • A slightly thinned (because they're better than heavy shots) to the front right fringe.
  • A 30-footer that has every chance to drop.
  • A tap in for par.

I'm not the best +1.5 ball-striker, but I have clubface control, and I hit it "good enough" to get a lot of nGIR, where I can putt and chip with the best of them. Particularly the putting, as I rarely practice the short game stuff.

• Upvote 1

This happened during our member/member tournament last week.  4-ball match play.

520ish yard par-5, playing into the wind...

Driver pulled into a big oak, 100 yards down range.  Ball drops straight down.  3-wood to 200, another 3-wood to 15 feet.  72 year old opponent, playing from 450 yard tees, with hip replacement scheduled in one week, hits 6-iron from 130 yards and jars it.   😑

A couple days ago, Into a 12 mph headwind. Pretty much straight away  528 yd Par 5 with some trees intruding on fairway.

1) Driver, up the right side, Never turns over, hits a tree and drops. Went 235 yds, I'm left with overhanging tree in front of me on a slightly downhill lie.

2) Try to cut 5 wood around tree off of downhill lie. It goes dead straight, hits high tension power line tower off left side of fairway, kicks bacwards 30 yards. I'm in "rough" on a pretty sparse lie, 96 yards to pin.

3) Hit flighted 50 degree wedge to 6'.

4) Make the putt.

5) Kid (20) was next to the green in 2, then chips and two putts.  He vows to work on his short game. LOL

(edited)

One relatively pleasant day back in February I took a walk one Sunday afternoon. 

I hiked down a path next to the Miami River here in Troy alongside sits my home course, Miami Shores. I lingered for just a minute gazing down at the ninth hole and thinking the slope didn't look so mean from up there. 

That's as close as I've been to a golf course ever since.

Edited by mcanadiens

500ish yard par 5.

Drive is decent, just off fairway on right and missed the bunker.  5 iron to set up approach.  Gap wedge to within 6ft.  Made the putt.  But...

Snap hooked my first drive OB before any of those nice shots took place so took a 6 rather than a 4.  

Easy. 400ish par 4.

•First I’ll hit a drive in the fairway, leaving somewhere in the neighborhood of 175 yards. I’ve never been a super long hitter, but I’m pretty good at putting it in the fairway. In fact, in my past 36 holes, I’ve only missed three fairways.

•Using a 5- or 6-iron, I’ll probably miss the green, but not by much. When I miss the green, it’s usually not by a whole lot. I’ll typically have around 15 GIRs/nGIRs a round. I’ll usually double or triple the other three holes, and I’ll probably throw in a double or two with the nGIRs. Of course, if I’m having an above or below average day, these numbers can go up or down, but that’s my typical stat.

•If I hit the green, I’ll usually two- or three-putt. One-putts are much more common for me when I miss the green because the shot that puts me on is usually a short chip or pitch.

•If I miss the green with a nGIR, which is what usually happens, I’ll hit on and two-putt.

Normal game: Drive it down the middle. Not long, but effective. Second shot somewhere around the green with a good look. Chip it to within 5 feet. Make the putt for par and frustrate the young guns who hit it 70 yards past me and are giving me a shot.

Right now: Drive it down the middle. Not long, but effective. Second shot somewhere around the green with a good look. Hit a poor chip and leave a tough 15-20 footer. Two putt for bogey and miss the opportunity to frustrate the young guns who hit it 70 yards past me and are giving me a shot.