IGNORED

MLB Strike Zone Box Graphic

Billy Z

MLB strike zone box  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the strike zone box graphic imposed on your tv for viewing?

• No, I am a sports fan that doesn't need this gimmicky graphic to let me know balls and strikes!
    • Yes, it is sort of cool, it helps me see the strike zone and the close pitches.
    • I don't care one way or the other, whatever!

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I even like the little dot it shows where the ball crosses the strike zone.

Agreed

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't keep calling everything that you dislike or disagree with a "poor analogy" buddy.

So is this:

IMG_6721.jpg

I even like the little dot it shows where the ball crosses the strike zone.

That's called a box, that the ball has to pass through, as if it were consumed by the box. I have also noticed often times that the picture inside the box doesn't jive with the picture outside the dreaded box. In other words, distorted just a bit. Any baseball player, and maybe this is why some have problems because they have never played the game, finds it a bit insulting to the game. Sort of like me suggesting to you that relief from a divot should be allowed. You know the rules of golf much better than I, so you should appreciate the analogy. I am a baseball purist, because I have played the game, had scouts out watching me play, and like an unadulterated broadcast. I don't need to be spoon fed as to what a strike is, I know.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• Administrator
Just now, Billy Z said:

That's called a box, that the ball has to pass through, as if it were consumed by the box.

Ummm, cool story, bro? Still wrong.

It doesn't affect play any more than the first down line does in football.

And technically, the line in football isn't a line either. It's a line segment. And a thick ass one at that. In fact, it's so thick, you could think of it as a rectangle. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I have also noticed often times that the picture inside the box doesn't jive with the picture outside the dreaded box.

Now we know you're just nuts. It's drawn on. It's not altering the stuff inside the box.

Just now, Billy Z said:

Any baseball player, and maybe this is why some have problems because they have never played the game, finds it a bit insulting to the game.

I played baseball at a decently high level. And the two MLB (well, former) guys I play with like the box. Say it's great for the viewers.

But sure, "any" baseball player agrees with you…

Just now, Billy Z said:

Sort of like me suggesting to you that relief from a divot should be allowed. You know the rules of golf much better than I, so you should appreciate the analogy.

No, dude, that analogy stinks.

Just now, Billy Z said:

I am a baseball purist, because I have played the game

You make a lot of assumptions, buddy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I don't need to be spoon fed as to what a strike is

If the ball goes through the box when your pitcher is on the mound it's strike!  If your team is batting and a ball goes through the box, it's a ball.

6 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

That's called a box, that the ball has to pass through, as if it were consumed by the box. I have also noticed often times that the picture inside the box doesn't jive with the picture outside the dreaded box. In other words, distorted just a bit. Any baseball player, and maybe this is why some have problems because they have never played the game, finds it a bit insulting to the game. Sort of like me suggesting to you that relief from a divot should be allowed. You know the rules of golf much better than I, so you should appreciate the analogy. I am a baseball purist, because I have played the game, had scouts out watching me play, and like an unadulterated broadcast. I don't need to be spoon fed as to what a strike is, I know.

So are we supposed to not like it because you don’t? I should discount the 55+ years of watching baseball as a fan because I’m not in your purist category ( I don’t recall games before I was 6)? Weird logic my friend.

Hall of Fame Pitcher Dennis Eckersley likes it. He does color for the Red Sox. As does Jerry Remy. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Hall of Fame Pitcher Dennis Eckersley likes it. He does color for the Red Sox. As does Jerry Remy. 

Not true. ANY true baseball player hates it. Thinks it's an abomination.

Eckersley was clearly brain damaged by that Kirk Gibson homer. Must have been the fist pumping that put it over the top.

• Funny 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I watched some highlights that had the ESPN K-zone graphic, and I didn't find it bothersome. There were a few pitches that I thought were balls, but the K-zone and umpire called strikes, so that was eye-opening to me, and I think demystifying the strike zone could be helpful to more casual viewers.

Whether or not an individual likes it in the broadcast is purely subjective. @Billy Z hates it, I don't care either way, and many others think it is a good feature.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Eckersley was clearly brain damaged by that Kirk Gibson homer.

As a longtime A's fan, this made me feel sad.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

As a longtime A's fan, this made me feel sad.

That was a tough one. He is a fun announcer. He says stuff like ‘high cheese’ for fast balls up in the zone!

The box also showed that Mariano Rivera, who was terrific, also had the widest strike zone in MLB history.

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

39 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Any baseball player, and maybe this is why some have problems because they have never played the game, finds it a bit insulting to the game.

You should really learn to stop generalizing other people based on your own perception.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It is for the folks who don't know what the strike zone is ,because I have no problem without it's intruding presence .They try to get the wives interested, and those who have never played the game before .

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

11 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I think demystifying the strike zone could be helpful to more casual viewers.

Whether or not an individual likes it in the broadcast is purely subjective. @Billy Z hates it, I don't care either way, and many others think it is a good feature.

This

11 hours ago, billchao said:

You should really learn to stop generalizing other people based on your own perception.

@billchao makes a good point here. 

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

They try to get the wives interested, and those who have never played the game before .

Careful here too, Billy. My wife loves baseball. I will watch the playoffs and the World Series.... maybe? If I can stay up long enough? My wife is infinitely more knowledgeable about the sport than I am. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm one of the group that's just fine with the box.  I don't need it to enjoy watching baseball, but but I think its a positive addition.  

6 hours ago, Billy Z said:

It is for the folks who don't know what the strike zone is ,because I have no problem without it's intruding presence .They try to get the wives interested, and those who have never played the game before .

I'd say most people have an idea of the strike zone, and can certainly learn to understand the strike zone without the box.  Its simply a helpful graphic.  If you really hate it, you're certainly welcome to decline to watch, and to voice your displeasure to MLB and your local broadcaster.  Maybe start a petition, or organize a boycott.  I'm afraid you'll find that you're in a minority among the baseball-viewing public, but its worth a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Your view of the world seems to be incredibly myopic, incredibly localized (to just what you are capable of conceiving of).

Until we get robotized calls, the box simply tells us which way a call is likely to go, or where a pitch is likely to have crossed the plate. It is more visual, and even those training in baseball will use heat charts and pitch spots because people are visual learners. Visual information, until of course it gets to the point of clutter, generally aids in the processing and intake of information. It makes that information more accurate and easier/faster to learn or process.

If you think a few thin lines rise to the level of clutter, that's fine.

But your constant disparaging (and that's putting it kindly) of those who disagree that it's clutter/distracting/detracting, which is a strong pattern for you, gives away more about you than you seem to realize. Your all/everybody/any type statements say more about you than you seem to realize. Your name-calling and sexism (above) say more about you than you seem to realize (growing up, it was my mother and I who enjoyed and watched sports, and she and I went to playoff games together, etc.).

This is a fine and good topic to discuss, but gee whiz, man. Enough of the bullshit commentary, please. Enough of the faux superiority complex stuff. (BTW I heard from a third MLB prospect/former student - he loves the box, wishes they had it on every broadcast.) Enough of the denigration and name-calling and sexism.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Nope. I played baseball for 17 years which included being a 4 year college pitcher, had MLB scouts at the majority of my games my senior year, threw numerous bullpen sessions in front of multiple scouts, had multiple contract offers to pitch for independent league teams after my senior season, etc. and I don't find it insulting to the game at all. Stop making claims using words like any and all that you can't back up with facts.

7 hours ago, Billy Z said:

They try to get the wives interested

Just stop. My mom and I have been to hundreds of pro games together including Game 7 of the 2016 World Series in Cleveland and she was locked in for every pitch and knows more about the game and nuanced details than most grown men.  

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

(BTW I heard from a third MLB prospect/former student - he loves the box, wishes they had it on every broadcast.) 

This. ^^^ 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Baseball history tells us of Eddie Gaedel, the smallest MLB player ever. He stood 3 foot, 7 inches tall and weighed 60 lb.  The St. Louis Browns sent him to the plate just once with instructions not to swing the bat, he was not even an athlete. He had a tiny strike zone and was walked on four pitches.

Which begs the question. Does the strike zone graphic superimposed over the plate get smaller or larger with different players? Jose Altuve has to have a smaller strike zone than Aaron Judge.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I enjoy having it up on the screen. I can understand that maybe umpires don't like it because you can tell if it was a bad call, but they only get calls right 85% of the time on average, and I think most of the wrong calls are borderline anyways. 

Anyways, I like information. I like watching the national championship for NCAA football when they have the coaches room and they go over plays. 

I think it would be cool if they did some sort of trackman for the pitch from different camera angles so you can see how it breaks. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

52 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Baseball history tells us of Eddie Gaedel, the smallest MLB player ever. He stood 3 foot, 7 inches tall and weighed 60 lb.  The St. Louis Browns sent him to the plate just once with instructions not to swing the bat, he was not even an athlete. He had a tiny strike zone and was walked on four pitches.

Which begs the question. Does the strike zone graphic superimposed over the plate get smaller or larger with different players? Jose Altuve has to have a smaller strike zone than Aaron Judge.

I wondered that too.
See, Great minds think alike. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I don't like it, I also don't like the instant replay in baseball nowaday either.  It takes the umpires out of the game basically and the umpires have been (historically) a huge part of this game.  Right or wrong, they call the plays as they see 'em.  Sorta like the rules of golf as discussed here all day long.

The first down marker on tv is a reference only tool for the fan.

(I played too)

Edited by burr
  • Like 1