IGNORED

MLB Strike Zone Box Graphic

Billy Z

MLB strike zone box  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the strike zone box graphic imposed on your tv for viewing?

• No, I am a sports fan that doesn't need this gimmicky graphic to let me know balls and strikes!
    • Yes, it is sort of cool, it helps me see the strike zone and the close pitches.
    • I don't care one way or the other, whatever!

25 minutes ago, burr said:

The first down marker on tv is a reference only tool for the fan.

Isn't that what the strike zone box is too? A reference only tool for the fan.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

certainly so.  It also generates the attitude of not only the armchair Qback, but the armchair referee or umpire too.

Not related to the OP, but my dad is certainly an "armchair" umpire. Back when I was a kid, and we watched baseball games at home, he would yell at the umpire (on TV) at any borderline strike/ball call that didn't go the A's way. Now with the strike zone graphic, he can yell at the umpire, or yell at the graphic, or both.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I like the box and would LOVE for automated balls and strikes to replace the human element of an ump. Especially those strikes high in the zone, we gotta get more guys swinging for contact and not just for hitting home runs.

Edited by colin007
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

Not related to the OP, but my dad is certainly an "armchair" umpire. Back when I was a kid, and we watched baseball games at home, he would yell at the umpire (on TV) at any borderline strike/ball call that didn't go the A's way. Now with the strike zone graphic, he can yell at the umpire, or yell at the graphic, or both.

On any pitched baseball that's moving in time and space there is often a lot of movement after that sucker passes through the TV box.  Seems the graphic box is over the front of the plate.  The caught pitch is 3-4 feet back... hence the framing of pitches.

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I'd love to hear him down the 1st baseline during games as this is a huge part of the game.  Not waiting on the 'call upstairs'.

44 minutes ago, burr said:

I also don't like the instant replay in baseball nowaday either.

I don't mind it for certain things, like did the ball clear the fence or not. There are no umpires in the outfield, and that is a long distance away. 

I don't think displaying information takes the umpires out of the game. Its not like it's making the calls. Again,, it is a way for us to see if umpires make a bad call or not. I think it has helped umpires. They are getting better at calling balls and strikes. 

umpirefeature-1.jpg?w=700

Dusty Dellinger knows how difficult it is to be an umpire. “There’s an old saying that they expect you to be perfect from day one and get better,” the...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

If you are a Tiger fan, back in 2010 you would have passionately loved to have had the instant replay, and I think this particular incident was part of what triggered the new instant replay usage. Armando Galarraga's perfect game was mistaken taken from him, and all Tiger fans by a missed call at first base by umpire Jim Joyce. Even though the IR takes up time in the game, and may interfere with the flow of the game, this incident and many like it, are good reasons for IR. As far as the strike zone graphic, it is there just for the viewing fans pleasure, or in my case, displeasure. I don't seem to be as bothered as I use to be, and maybe get use to it, but still prefer it not being there. There are probably different make ups of technology used to create the box, but I remember the box being less video quality then it is now, because it seemed to be a different quality picture inside the box than outside the box. For me this seemed to create a distracting optical illusion when trying to follow the baseball. If this distortion doesn't exist then I will be satisfied with the box. I watched yesterday's Tiger opener and the box looked more palatable then even last year's. So we will see. 

Check out this video, it testifies to the need of IR: 

Edited by iacas
embedded video

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Good God man-Your arguments are not even consistent with themselves.

34 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

There are probably different make ups of technology used to create the box, but I remember the box being less video quality then it is now, because it seemed to be a different quality picture inside the box than outside the box. For me this seemed to create a distracting optical illusion when trying to follow the baseball. If this distortion doesn't exist then I will be satisfied with the box.

The box does not use different video inside the box versus outside.-Whatever you are smoking man lay off. The box is overlaid on the same video.-That is why replays can use the same video but not show the box.-It is a production level drawing just like the leaderboard, player names floating above them in the field, etc.

So now it is no longer about being a purist but about whether you perceive-incorrectly- a difference in video quality? Good God.

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:47 PM, boogielicious said:

When I was a kid, on a 12” Black and White TV, you had to go by the players movements to guess where the puck was. The exception was when Bobby Orr had the puck. He was so fluid, poetry in motion.

As to the topic, I don’t mind the strike zone. It really highlights how bad the umps are behind the plate. We’ve known this forever. A strike should be a strike and not what they’re feeling at the time. 

And yes I played baseball.

And I think it generally highlights how GOOD they are considering the difficulty of what they are being asked to do.  That said, I'm 100% in favor of electronic ball/strike calls.

Anyways, regarding the topic; if I'm not watching baseball with my dad, then I like having it there, because it gives me a better idea of where the ball crossed the plate since the centerfield camera is almost always off-center.

If I am watching with him, then I'd prefer it not be there because he never misses a chance to snicker and gripe about the missed calls and it just gives him more ammo.

If they starting calling balls and strikes electronically, how would you imagine the system being setup with regards to what role the plate umpire has and how the batter would be notified? Maybe a audible buzz to an ump's headset? A home plate ump would still be an necessity. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

If they starting calling balls and strikes electronically, how would you imagine the system being setup with regards to what role the plate umpire has... 

Somebody still has to use that little broom to dust off home plate.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

If they starting calling balls and strikes electronically, how would you imagine the system being setup with regards to what role the plate umpire has and how the batter would be notified? Maybe a audible buzz to an ump's headset? A home plate ump would still be an necessity. Thoughts?

Headset would be the easiest way, probably. They’d still have to have a home plate umpire.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/does-espns-k-zone-ruin-baseball-on-tv

(The main problem with the four-sided virtual graphic is it obstructs what the viewer can see and isn’t really all that accurate about what constitutes a strike as an umpire still makes the final call.

“The square is supposed to be akin to the NFL first-down marker, which was a great invention that enhanced the viewer experience and provided objective, important information while staying out of the way of the action,” according to The New York Post. “The square does not do that.”)

Edited by iacas
https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/formatted-text/

On 4/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, billchao said:

Headset would be the easiest way, probably. They’d still have to have a home plate umpire.

Loudspeaker.  So everyone in the park would know you let a strike go by.  And yes, a home plate umpire would still be needed.  Other than dusting off the plate you'll need someone to call sliding Mariners safe.  On that note, baserunners should be careful to not slide into home plate with feet in the air... could knock that little graphic box askew.

• Like 1

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/does-espns-k-zone-ruin-baseball-on-tv

(The main problem with the four-sided virtual graphic is it obstructs what the viewer can see and isn’t really all that accurate about what constitutes a strike as an umpire still makes the final call.

“The square is supposed to be akin to the NFL first-down marker, which was a great invention that enhanced the viewer experience and provided objective, important information while staying out of the way of the action,” according to The New York Post. “The square does not do that.”)

So you found one guy from 2018 who kinda sorta agrees with you. And I have this, from 2021:

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

So you found one guy from 2018 who kinda sorta agrees with you. And I have this, from 2021:

image.png

Well actually ,there was a multitude of like minded people who agree with me.