Jump to content
IGNORED

MLB Strike Zone Box Graphic


Billy Z
 Share

MLB strike zone box  

23 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you like the strike zone box graphic imposed on your tv for viewing?

    • No, I am a sports fan that doesn't need this gimmicky graphic to let me know balls and strikes!
      3
    • Yes, it is sort of cool, it helps me see the strike zone and the close pitches.
      13
    • I don't care one way or the other, whatever!
      7


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Well actually ,there was a multitude of like minded people who agree with me. 

Generally wise not to literally start a post with "well actually…".

There are multitudes here who don't.

So what?

You didn't advance your argument, you simply found another thing that said what you'd said already.

It's an opinion. There is no "right" or "wrong."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

This seemed relevant.

Gotta love the human element to umpiring, right? Because rules should be flexible from game to game based on who’s making the calls?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
26 minutes ago, billchao said:

This seemed relevant.

Gotta love the human element to umpiring, right? Because rules should be flexible from game to game based on who’s making the calls?

I always like posts with photos and videos showing the context. Great! Interesting, as your video shows two different pitches, the first pitch seems outside by 6 inches or so. Although the second pitch is very deceiving, and to me, shows a flaw in the 'kzone' box. If you advance the video frame by frame you will notice the baseball actually is well within the box (strike) when it passes through the entire length of the plate, and as the ball hits the catcher's mitt, because the pitch is diving down and right, it shows the pitch outside of the strike zone. As a result, pitch #1 looks to be definitely a missed call, but as some think pitch #2 is definitely out of the strike zone, I feel they are mistaken and the ump made a great call. Now the Kzone is not the deciding factor or what gets called a ball and a strike, but to the untrained eye it looks like the ump missed the call when actually he made a great call.

 

30962056_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.8d0c1133b5164985a029c4fc75b6fcca.png

 

Edited by Billy Z
photo added

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

This seemed relevant.

Gotta love the human element to umpiring, right? Because rules should be flexible from game to game based on who’s making the calls?

Hernandez was the opening day home plate umpire for the Mariner's game.  The announcers said he was one of the league's most loved umpires...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
10 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I always like posts with photos and videos showing the context. Great! Interesting, as your video shows two different pitches, the first pitch seems outside by 6 inches or so. Although the second pitch is very deceiving, and to me, shows a flaw in the 'kzone' box. If you advance the video frame by frame you will notice the baseball actually is well within the box (strike) when it passes through the entire length of the plate, and as the ball hits the catcher's mitt, because the pitch is diving down and right, it shows the pitch outside of the strike zone. As a result, pitch #1 looks to be definitely a missed call, but as some think pitch #2 is definitely out of the strike zone, I feel they are mistaken and the ump made a great call. Now the Kzone is not the deciding factor or what gets called a ball and a strike, but to the untrained eye it looks like the ump missed the call when actually he made a great call.

 

30962056_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.8d0c1133b5164985a029c4fc75b6fcca.png

 

You’re greatly misunderstanding camera angles.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

You’re greatly misunderstanding camera angles.

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

I would say 50/50 at best, most likely a ball. 

Pitcher on the right side of the mound. Catcher set up inside. Not sure if the ball would be curving towards the strike zone or not, but it looks more like a fastball. I'd say borderline strike if that. 

The graphic is lined up with the edge of the plate. The ball is nearly to the edge of the plate, but it is still way before crossing the plate. This indicates that the ball is further right than it seems due to the camera angle. 

"A good conversation is not designed to win the argument. It is designed to enjoy the exchange."

Matt "Dough", P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: :srixon: (4-PW)
Wedges:
:edel: Trapper (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

Here’s how parallax works:

image.png

So basically because the camera angle is from Viewpoint B, the ball appears more to the left than it actually is.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

Here’s how parallax works:

image.png

So basically because the camera angle is from Viewpoint B, the ball appears more to the left than it actually is.

Well, then from what you 'just' wrote in this thread: "the ball appears more to the left than it actually is", testifies to the inaccuracy of the Kzone technology when viewing with the 'off center' tv camera. I could say that this kzone box and it's associated technology with camera angles is not very accurate. Now add in the idea of an untrained eye, the avg baseball tv viewer is fooled often times by this imperfect set up. Besides all that, I think I remember the word 'austerity' being used in these forums in reference to things of golf, being desired for it's no frills simplicity. Strangely, all of a sudden, people want just the opposite when it comes to the kzone. Frankly, I think the ump gave the correct call on the 2nd pitch there, and is proven by the frame stopping photo I attached. Although, to each their own.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Well, then from what you 'just' wrote in this thread: "the ball appears more to the left than it actually is", testifies to the inaccuracy of the Kzone technology when viewing with the 'off center' tv camera.

No, I’m saying what you’re seeing isn’t an accurate reflection based on the single camera angle. The K Zone system is developed based on multiple camera angles and computers sync it together to give the measurement. The technology is significantly more than just a box on your tv screen.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

No, I’m saying what you’re seeing isn’t an accurate reflection based on the single camera angle. The K Zone system is developed based on multiple camera angles and computers sync it together to give the measurement. The technology is significantly more than just a box on your tv screen.

Good points, but as you said the pitch gave an appearance that may not be accurate due to the camera angle.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
4 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Good points, but as you said the pitch gave an appearance that may not be accurate due to the camera angle.

In regards to your claim that the ball was a strike, yea. I’m not sure what your point is because I just typed this out in the post you quoted.

The Yankees have an overhead angle on home plate. I’ve never seen the K Zone wrong before. And I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s highly unlikely. 

No offense, but I believe a computer technology developed over 20 years over a guy watching on tv.

  • Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
36 minutes ago, billchao said:

In regards to your claim that the ball was a strike, yea. I’m not sure what your point is because I just typed this out in the post you quoted.

The Yankees have an overhead angle on home plate. I’ve never seen the K Zone wrong before. And I’m not saying it’s not possible, but it’s highly unlikely. 

No offense, but I believe a computer technology developed over 20 years over a guy watching on tv.

41AACEC5-597B-4702-97C4-142A09C6CBBC.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
16 hours ago, Billy Z said:

That's your opinion, but the attached photo I included showing the ball inside the strike zone, even when it is past the physical plate yells out that you are mistaken.

No, it’s not an opinion.

You cannot judge where the ball is in 3D space from a 2D image.

Not when it’s off axis like that.

Not an opinion.

I use cameras all the time, too. Angles skew things fast.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

No, it’s not an opinion.

You cannot judge where the ball is in 3D space from a 2D image.

Not when it’s off axis like that.

Not an opinion.

I use cameras all the time, too. Angles s as Lew things fast.

Yes I agree, it can be very tricky. The way I would sum it up is: from the video that was attached early, based on my judgement as to the depth of the ball in reference to the front of the home plate, it appears to me (imo) the ball nipped the plate as it crossed over the front plane of the plate. Can I prove this beyond any doubt? No. If I were a betting man, as they say, I think I would say it was a strike. As great as technology is these days, just from the previous conversations that was started by @billchao, you can see how pitches can appear one way but possibly be the other way. I am getting used to kzone, but I like a simple, clean look to things, not busy looking. Sometimes more is less.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

@Billy Z I recorded this just for you 😃

Did it catch the plate or no?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • I didn't take up golf until I retired at the age of 57. It is the ideal sport to keep you fit, gives you fresh air, and best of all I get to spend time with friends and have a laugh. I should also mention it get's me away from the wife, as I believe all men need to do that. Unfortunately my body will only allow me to play three or four times a week at the most, and te UK weather is a factor as well 
    • My game slipped a bit in 2022, have struggled in the long game most of the season.  Best rounds were 78s (whereas 2021 my best was 74 & 75 back to back).  With that background shared, here are my 2023 goals: 1. Get the long game back on track. 2. Shoot par or better over an 18 hole round (have done it over 9). 3. Win a mens club tournament (in my flight), preferably the club championship (placed 2nd gross in 2022). I am working with a pro over the winter.  The plan is to meet every 1-2 weeks, and I will practice every day.  I’m hoping we can do the heavy lifting over these next 3 months, and come golf season continue to reinforce everything from the off-season with maybe some new smaller things throughout the season.  I’m also working on dropping some weight and getting my physical fitness back on track (have let myself slip the past 2 years). Good luck to everyone on your goals!
    • @Themightyoz I run a friendly competitive net league myself, so I like your post and all the discussion. We play once a month, there are 20 players that participate overall, but typically about 12 per event.  All events are net based off official GHIN, and the indexes range from about 5-28.  Last year the events consisted of Stroke play, Skins, Chicago, Stableford, 2 person best ball.  Everyone puts $20 into the pot and pot pays out top 3.  There is a optional gross birdie pot as well, which pays out based on number of gross birdies.  I also gave points to the top 3 each event, and the player with the most points at the end of the year won the cup (which was an engraved stainless steel beer stein).  We don’t flight because there aren’t enough people.  I probably would have flights if we had 20+ players every event. For 2023, I’m adding a little more.  There will be 7 events total, two of them majors.  First major the week after the Masters, and one the last event of the year.  Buy in will be double for those events.  I’m also revising the event points to sort of mirror the FedEx Cup points.  E.g. 1st 50 pts, 2nd 30 pts, 3rd 19 pts 4th 14 pts, etc.  I’m still thinking about how I might tweak the event points a little, I want more people to be in the running come the final event.  I like the idea of 90% index mentioned above, I’ll have to think more about that. The formal mens league I play in is over 200 members.  That league has 4 (sometimes 5, depending on participation) flights, based on index.  Typical game formats, season point system, weekly side games (deuces, birdies, skins), some team events, a two day club championship at the end of the season.
    • Wordle 533 3/6 ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩 ⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • Congrats.   You will probably miss a few tags.    Don't worry.   Try to set up a routine.   It may take some time.   The magnet is strong but I wish there was a Kevlar string attached to the device.   I've not had mine fall out though.   

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...