IGNORED

MLB Strike Zone Box Graphic

MLB strike zone box  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the strike zone box graphic imposed on your tv for viewing?

• No, I am a sports fan that doesn't need this gimmicky graphic to let me know balls and strikes!
    • Yes, it is sort of cool, it helps me see the strike zone and the close pitches.
    • I don't care one way or the other, whatever!

50 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The umpire told him there is nothing he can do since it was the machine that made the call, lol. 

Lou Piniella would have jawboned with the machine.  Throwing home plate and then ejected from the game... by a machine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can't keep calling everything that you dislike or disagree with a "poor analogy" buddy. So is this: I even like the little dot it shows where the ball crosses the strike zone.

You sure?  Pretty certain that guy is Enrico Palazzo.

“Michigan Man Arrested for Disrupting Baseball Broadcast”

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Lou Piniella would have jawboned with the machine.  Throwing home plate and then ejected from the game... by a machine.

RoboUmp 

• Funny 1

22 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Players and managers would no longer be thrown out of games by umps for arguing balls and strikes. It’s silly and the ugliest part of baseball.

Sure, next thing you'll want to get rid of the fights during hockey games, too!  JK

If you purchase the RoboUmp Mevo Plus the home team can customize and dial in the strike zone for the away team.  You know, kinda like they do now with human umpires.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You know that the real umps would tell Pinella that the Pepsi Machine in the Umpire Lounge  is the robotic ump and Lou would then take his Louisville slugger to town on it.😜

35 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Sure, next thing you'll want to get rid of the fights during hockey games, too!  JK

There’s enough fighting in the stands!

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The human element is really the players. We all recall our favorite baseball memories and for me, none of them involve umpires either when I played or for games I’ve watched.

This is a recollection that involved an umpire that I will never forget. It does say something for the need for replays, and probably does more to support an electronic strike zone then not. The more I think of it, and electronic strike zone would be an upgrade of the integrity of the game due to missed calls and human bias. Watch this video of a "perfect game" that never was:

https://youtu.be/dfCfjT5BH9o

13 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

This is a recollection that involved an umpire that I will never forget. It does say something for the need for replays, and probably does more to support an electronic strike zone then not. The more I think of it, and electronic strike zone would be an upgrade of the integrity of the game due to missed calls and human bias. Watch this video of a "perfect game" that never was:

I remember that one. Wasn’t the ump in tears after the game? It wasn’t even close.

Every major league town has a great steakhouse or two.  I fully believe umpires call a game in such a way that they can get to that steakhouse faster... for the prime rib or the medium rare porterhouse.  I mean, there's culinary life outside of baseball...

14 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I remember that one. Wasn’t the ump in tears after the game? It wasn’t even close.

The ump actually bought AG a brand new corvette as an apology gesture the following day. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

The ump actually bought AG a brand new corvette as an apology gesture the following day. 

No he didn't.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, iacas said:

No he didn't.

Sorry, you are right, it was GM that gave it to him:

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/06/detroit-tigers-pitcher-armando-galarraga-gets-a-corvette-courtesy-of-gm.html

Edited by Billy Z

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Yea I remember hearing about this one. It only reinforces my position that the human element argument of umpiring is lame. Jim Joyce was one of the best and most respected umpires in his day and he flat out blew that call.

The calls should be right and if there’s a way to do it accurately and effectively for the strike zone as there already is, it should be implemented.

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea I remember hearing about this one. It only reinforces my position that the human element argument of umpiring is lame. Jim Joyce was one of the best and most respected umpires in his day and he flat out blew that call.

The calls should be right and if there’s a way to do it accurately and effectively for the strike zone as there already is, it should be implemented.

Good points! JJ was an upstanding individual. I think he has passed on?

1 minute ago, Billy Z said:

Good points! JJ was an upstanding individual. I think he has passed on?

He’s still alive. I used past tense because he retired in 2016.

If they MLB did incorporate an electronic strike zone, what would you imagine the role of the home plate umpire would be? Would he get a signal yes or no for a strike and then relay it to the players? Or would there be an audible beep for a strike that the players could hear and react to? Just curious as to how you think this would pan out, if at all.

Just now, Billy Z said:

If they MLB did incorporate an electronic strike zone, what would you imagine the role of the home plate umpire would be? Would he get a signal yes or no for a strike and then relay it to the players? Or would there be an audible beep for a strike that the players could hear and react to? Just curious as to how you think this would pan out, if at all.

The Umpire has other rolls as well. So, they would probably get a single to call it a ball or strike. 

48 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

The home plate umpire would still signal the call, which would be delivered wirelessly to him through an earpiece or something. Nothing would change from the players and fans perspective.

Fans would still boo live calls that they felt were “missed.”

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, billchao said:

The home plate umpire would still signal the call, which would be delivered wirelessly to him through an earpiece or something. Nothing would change from the players and fans perspective.

Fans would still boo live calls that they felt were “missed.”

We could program the boos as well!😜