IGNORED

Masters Past Champions. When Is Enough, Enough?

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the current system is fine, since they "recommend" that certain folks just surrender.

The problem isn't the TV viewers, the problem is the other pros who have to play with them for two days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I think the current system is fine, since they "recommend" that certain folks just surrender.

The problem isn't the TV viewers, the problem is the other pros who have to play with them for two days.

I think your onto something there. Perhaps you take the older players who don’t have much of a chance and group them together.  But then again the younger players wouldn’t have the experience of playing with these legends of golf.

12 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

I think your onto something there. Perhaps you take the older players who don’t have much of a chance and group them together.  But then again the younger players wouldn’t have the experience of playing with these legends of golf.

Lol I literally said this! Yeah tongue in cheek, but send them out first ahead of everyone else on the first two days and they'll eventually feel miffed enough to quit and die.

Colin P.

Mark O'Meara stopped playing a few years ago. He said he doesn't want to play in a tournament where just making the cut is a goal. But he says he will never miss the Champions dinner. 

Bill M

Yesterday, the average round was something like 5:30.  Former champs aren’t slowing anybody down.  If they want to play, let them play.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have no problem letting them play. It's part of the tradition. 

And be careful about pissing off old people. The older they get the less "life in prison" is a deterrent! 🤣

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 4/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, colin007 said:

🙂

I'm hoping to die in my sleep at the age of 59 with all of my faculties intact

I'm guessing when you reach 58 you will change your mind.  Especially since you occasionally still shoot in the 70's and love the camaraderie with friends.  And a sunny, warm morning in Spring has you rejoicing in the beauty of your surroundings.  Along with that new putter that hasn't yet made enough birdies.  Hope springs eternal.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 4:26 AM, colin007 said:

...send them out first ahead of everyone else on the first two days and they'll eventually feel miffed enough to quit and die.

Is your day job working in a nursing home?

Personally, I think it's great for the tournament and equally great for the older players themselves and the youngsters they play with.  But for every "oldster" on the tee sheet they should increase the field size by that number so no potential winner loses a spot to one of our legends.

I would play as long as I could reach the par 4s. They are not taking anyone's spot, so as long as they don't make a fool out of themselves, and can maintain pace of play, let them play. I would not be against letting them play forward tees as non competitors. Jack probably wouldn't have done it, but I bet Gary would have played the front 9 after the opening tee shot.

Edited by Sandy Divot

They don't get much TV time and affect my experience much, but I don't know if I'd want to play with a 70 year old shooting 85 if I were at Augusta to play well and potentially win it. I don't know how it could affect a professional player, but for myself I often play better when playing with someone better than me. For some, playing with a great player of old might be a boost, but not all previous Masters winners are legends.

They usually drop out after Friday, but that's still 50% of the tournament and their final score.

You can of course find young players at the bottom of the list, but the older winners usually occupy the space.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yesterday, the average round was something like 5:30.  Former champs aren’t slowing anybody down.  If they want to play, let them play.

That’s an awful pace.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

24 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Teacher.  🙂

under appreciated profession!

but ... Are there no "old" teachers at your school?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

So does Woosy get the last laugh? He ends up shooting 76-77 and ties with Jason Day. Asking for a friend. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 4/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, iacas said:

That's it. Nobody wants to be out there with a former winner shooting 87.

That's why Mark O'Meara won't play anymore but he says that he will never miss the dinner. 

Bill M

6 minutes ago, phan52 said:

That's why Mark O'Meara won't play anymore but he says that he will never miss the dinner. 

I would never accuse him of skipping a meal! 

Note: This thread is 1109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!