IGNORED

Glasses for Golf - Multifocal/Bifocal Lenses - Question

Shorty

On 4/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, Billy Z said:

I have tried several things that would allow me to see the ball at address and also to see distance. The only thing that really works for me are contacts. Having an astigmatism throws a wrench into the mix, and when I use glasses, the ground starts to get distorted. It's like glasses alter the grading of the turf. With contacts, I don't have any of these issues and can see both distance and club length away. 

This. I got contacts the next day after I first tried to play golf with glasses. The astigmatism is corrected to a degree, but not completely. 

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to use single vision lenses only for golf. However, my distance vision lenses do not leave the ball blurry at address.  If your distance vision prescription leaves the ball blurry at address, you might need progressives or bifocals specifically for golf.  I can’t imagine that your reading prescription would leave you with a clear view at 6 feet.  But I’m no optometrist.

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882

I play with progressive lenses.  I think I noticed the first time or two, but I am used to it now.  It is possible that it is not ideal, I suppose, but I don't notice it to be a problem.  The progressives do take some time to adjust to, but your brain is pretty good at figuring things out.

• 1 year later...

Lost vision in left eye have been wearing single vision glasses,now a cataract has been growing on good eye but doesn't seem to bother straight ahead vision. Can't seem to hit ball lately ,tried bifocals today and swing is back to normal. I wonder if when I look down with regular glasses the growing cataract is distorting my vision. A sports eye doctor out there ? 

My suggestion is to get a pair that has the focal distance for about 6 feet. It's in between computer distance and TV. It's not ideal for distance, but you'll at least be able to see the ball. Your optometrist might have to be talked into this.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades