Jump to content
IGNORED

Ball Moved as I Putted It


Recommended Posts

I had a putt and it was windy that day with crusty fast greens. I had a 10 foot birdie putt and I lipped it out and had 8 inches left. I did not mark it. I walked up, took my time, and when I took the putter back and as I changed directions the ball moved at least 4 mm and I don't really know for sure whether I hit it while it was moving or not. I gave myself a penalty even thought he rule of the ball moving has changed. If I did not cause the ball to move there is no penalty and I did not cause this ball to move. But what is the rule if you actually hit the ball while it moves? Or even if it stopped moving and you hit it without placing the ball back in it's original spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Ball Moved as I Putted It
  • Administrator

Let's help those who help themselves: what Rules did you look at in trying to come up with an answer to this one?

You can list them by name, by number… etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

9.1b. What to Do When Ball Moves During Backswing or Stroke

If a player’s ball at rest begins moving after the player has begun the stroke or the backswing for a stroke and the player goes on to make the stroke:

  • The ball must not be replaced, no matter what caused it to move.

  • Instead, the player must play the ball from where it comes to rest after the stroke.

  • If the player caused the ball to move, see Rule 9.4b to find out if there is a penalty.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
7 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

 

Sorry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, iacas said:

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

And there’s even an app for your phone.

Who'da thunk...?  😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, chop said:

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

It's fine to ask a question. Just do a little to look into things yourself, first.

It's one of the best ways to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • If it was a hockey fight BD would turtle in seconds.
    • How are you supposed to classify worst ever? How many times have I yanked out of the swing, left the face open, and hit a wild push-slice OB or lost? What makes one worse than the other? 🤣
    • +1. The mRNA vaccines at least have been shown nearly as effective against Delta as original. So, highly effective. Our problem is anti-vaxxers (both classic and Trumpist) and the public policy legacy of Reagan where a huge proportion of people will miss bills and whatnot if they can't work because of side effects, so haven't gotten it even though they want to. If we got to 80-90% immunized with current vaccine the pandemic would almost totally end in the US, at least until a vaccine escaping variant pops up somewhere.
    • You just posted what looks to be relatively current information.  It seems somewhere between possible and likely that boosters will be advisable, but details are lacking as variants keep occurring and data is continually being collected.  Stay tuned.  What seems more important is that more and more people get vaccinated to slow the spread and decrease the likelihood of additional variants.  
    • I had a worst shot yesterday. Our 2some invited the 3some behind us to join us to play #9, the last hole of our round. It was a 152 yd par 3,fairly straight forward. Wanting to make a good showing to the 3some, I hit first. I was having a decent round, but I topped the ball 50 yds then slinked back to my cart. I did get a bogie, and strangely enough, nobody bettered the 4.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. DWB
      DWB
      (68 years old)
    2. Goldy49
      Goldy49
      (72 years old)
    3. joezep23
      joezep23
      (61 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...