IGNORED

Ball Moved as I Putted It

I had a putt and it was windy that day with crusty fast greens. I had a 10 foot birdie putt and I lipped it out and had 8 inches left. I did not mark it. I walked up, took my time, and when I took the putter back and as I changed directions the ball moved at least 4 mm and I don't really know for sure whether I hit it while it was moving or not. I gave myself a penalty even thought he rule of the ball moving has changed. If I did not cause the ball to move there is no penalty and I did not cause this ball to move. But what is the rule if you actually hit the ball while it moves? Or even if it stopped moving and you hit it without placing the ball back in it's original spot. 

• iacas changed the title to Ball Moved as I Putted It
  • Administrator

Let's help those who help themselves: what Rules did you look at in trying to come up with an answer to this one?

You can list them by name, by number… etc.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

4 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

9.1b. What to Do When Ball Moves During Backswing or Stroke

If a player’s ball at rest begins moving after the player has begun the stroke or the backswing for a stroke and the player goes on to make the stroke:

• The ball must not be replaced, no matter what caused it to move.

• Instead, the player must play the ball from where it comes to rest after the stroke.

• If the player caused the ball to move, see Rule 9.4b to find out if there is a penalty.

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

Sorry. 

15 hours ago, iacas said:

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

And there’s even an app for your phone.

Who'da thunk...?  😁

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, chop said:

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

It's fine to ask a question. Just do a little to look into things yourself, first.

It's one of the best ways to learn.