IGNORED

Rangefinder Feedback - All Input Welcome - Don't Be Shy

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Off topic..... 

But yes, back in the day, we had detailed yardage books that were plastic and spiral bound that fit in our back pockets. We marked them up with sharpies and knew every sprinkler head and the carry to every bunker lip. Then came rangefinders and the courses got sloppy with markers and it became a necessity to check yardages. I recently gave one of my vintage yardage books back to the course I used to work for along with an original staff shirt. They put it in a glass case and gave me a few months of range balls as a thank you. Its what we used to do as we clattered along with our metal spikes and balata balls. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

5 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Off topic..... 

But yes, back in the day, we had detailed yardage books that were plastic and spiral bound that fit in our back pockets. We marked them up with sharpies and knew every sprinkler head and the carry to every bunker lip. Then came rangefinders and the courses got sloppy with markers and it became a necessity to check yardages. I recently gave one of my vintage yardage books back to the course I used to work for along with an original staff shirt. They put it in a glass case and gave me a few months of range balls as a thank you. Its what we used to do as we clattered along with our metal spikes and balata balls. 

I think the last 8 or 10 posts are well off of the original topic, which was advice on which rangefinder, if any, the OP should consider purchasing.  If someone wants to continue to debate the value of rangefinders in general, a fresh thread might be appropriate.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

I think the last 8 or 10 posts are well off of the original topic, which was advice on which rangefinder, if any, the OP should consider purchasing.  If someone wants to continue to debate the value of rangefinders in general, a fresh thread might be appropriate.

Sorry @DaveP043,

I love the topic and was reacting to the "All input welcome - don't be shy" That about sums me up.

Anyway, the thread got a little hotter when I jumped in with my shit.

I'm sure I don't need to open a new thread. My adversaries have conceded to my logic.

27 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

My adversaries have conceded to my logic.

No one has conceded to your

27 minutes ago, JuliWooli said:

(my) shit

logic.

Using a rangefinder is quick and easy to do. It’s far easier to shoot the pin and add or subtract a few yards if you’re just trying to hit the middle of the green, than it is to look at (maybe) accurate sprinkler heads, pace off yardages, or guess. 

If you don’t want to use one, fine. But you can’t deny the advantage and ease of use (and faster play) rangefinders provide. Your argument is just a “things ain’t the way they used to be and get off my lawn while you’re at it” type argument. You can continue to use lap seatbelts in some cars in some states, but we’ve made progress and have 3-point seatbelts. Same goes for using old clubs; you can do so, but you’re missing out on the advantages of new clubs. 

So the All Feedback Welcome - Don't be shy, lures Patrick57 from his lair to be once again banned from the Sand Trap. He may have the all time record for being the longest, most persistent troll in site history. 

Now, back on topic. 

I am leaning towards the Bushnell.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

I've got Bushnells, Leupolds, and Precision Pros.

• The middle ones somehow doubled in price when I wasn't paying attention.
  • The formers are great, but you'll pay for them. I have the Shift V5 and love it.
  • The latter is great, and inexpensive. Except for being lighter and being made from slightly (emphasis there) less "good materials," they are great. I love the PPs I have, too.

I try not to tell people how to spend (larger) amounts of money… so that's all I will say about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I’ve had a Leupold for a long time and it’s still working fine. Most good laser rangefinders will be fine for use in golf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I've got Bushnells, Leupolds, and Precision Pros.

• The middle ones somehow doubled in price when I wasn't paying attention.
  • The formers are great, but you'll pay for them. I have the Shift V5 and love it.
  • The latter is great, and inexpensive. Except for being lighter and being made from slightly (emphasis there) less "good materials," they are great. I love the PPs I have, too.

I try not to tell people how to spend (larger) amounts of money… so that's all I will say about that.

This is pretty consistent with what I have seen so far.  I was thinking of getting the Shift and "mapping" out my home course to see if there are any features of subtle elevation that I may be missing, then turning it off for competitive rounds. 

Anyone have any comments on the slope feature and has it made a difference?

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

This is pretty consistent with what I have seen so far.  I was thinking of getting the Shift and "mapping" out my home course to see if there are any features of subtle elevation that I may be missing, then turning it off for competitive rounds. 

I have an older Leupold with slope.   I love it.  It's easy to use.   When I purchased it I thought the slope would help me learn to visualize distance better, to learn what 1 or 2 extra clubs looked like to my eye.   I can't honestly say that it's made that much of a difference in my club selection.  I'll go as far to say that a strong wind plays as much or more havoc with club selection as elevation.  

There have been courses that I play where the elevation is extreme and the slope is a nice feature.   

If the cost isn't significantly different, it's a nice feature that you can turn off for competition.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I’ve had my Leupold GX-2 since 2010. Don’t remember the price, but perhaps around $200-300. Not a big investment if divided per year or round. I’ve spent way more on balls.

It’s not a replacement for the course guide, which I always want to carry if they got one. The rangefinder is a distance measuring tool and doesn’t show the layout of a hole. Many courses around here doesn’t have much in ways of markers. Typically 200, 150 and 100 meters. So the on-course aid hasn’t been affected by the tools.

I used to have to study the guide, look for one of those three markers and try to walk off and guesstimate distances. Now I can focus on my approach, where to aim and quickly get the distances I need. I play faster and better with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

11 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

I've had the slope feature on my laser devices for at least 5 years, and I basically never turn it on.  Its a simple decision based on the Rules of Golf.  If I can't use the slope calculation when I'm playing in a tournament, I don't want to rely on it when I'm playing for fun.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, Zeph said:

I’ve had my Leupold GX-2 since 2010. Don’t remember the price, but perhaps around $200-300. Not a big investment if divided per year or round. I’ve spent way more on balls.

This is how I justify all golf related purchases. The V2 lasted 10 years and I used it more than any driver I ever bought! 

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've had the slope feature on my laser devices for at least 5 years, and I basically never turn it on.  Its a simple decision based on the Rules of Golf.  If I can't use the slope calculation when I'm playing in a tournament, I don't want to rely on it when I'm playing for fun.  

It is a simple decision. My thinking was to use it a couple of times to see what I am missing (if anything) around my local courses. I am going on a golf trip soon to a place that has some bigger elevations so I can hit it during a practice round before the money game starts. I am sure it will spend most of its life in my golf bag switched off.  

9 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I have an older Leupold with slope.   I love it.  It's easy to use.   When I purchased it I thought the slope would help me learn to visualize distance better, to learn what 1 or 2 extra clubs looked like to my eye.   I can't honestly say that it's made that much of a difference in my club selection.  I'll go as far to say that a strong wind plays as much or more havoc with club selection as elevation.  

There have been courses that I play where the elevation is extreme and the slope is a nice feature.   

If the cost isn't significantly different, it's a nice feature that you can turn off for competition.   

I think that is what I want it for. To validate what 1 or 2, or what a half club looks like. In the end I probably won't use it much at all. 

Have no comments on the slope feature as have never really considered it seriously.

Anyway, no slope feature but the TecTecTec VPro500 has been absolutely solid for a year now. Well built unit, graphics are clean, adjustable focus eye piece, pin lock, scan mode, all outstanding. Had Leupold GX-1 for 10+ years and finally graphics faded out. 

@TourSpoon I know money is not much of a factor in your case but spending less than $175 can't be a bad thing vs. twice or more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Have no comments on the slope feature as have never really considered it seriously.

Anyway, no slope feature but the TecTecTec VPro500 has been absolutely solid for a year now. Well built unit, graphics are clean, adjustable focus eye piece, pin lock, scan mode, all outstanding. Had Leupold GX-1 for 10+ years and finally graphics faded out. 

@TourSpoon I know money is not much of a factor in your case but spending less than $175 can't be a bad thing vs. twice or more. 

Thanks for the feedback! I figure over a 5 or 10 year run, money shouldn't be the primary consideration. Although I wouldn't want something so shiny and expensive that it grows legs and takes a walk. 

I’ve had a Bushnell Tour X for many years. It does really well. It was expensive, but I’ve gotten great use out of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, 

So I made up my mind and pulled the trigger on the V5 Shift. I ended up ordering a refurbished model from the manufacturer with a 2 year warranty included from eBay and saved $50 bucks. From the reviews, their refurbished seemed like open box returns and they are certified in pristine condition.  I just sold my Mevo for what I paid for it and 2 TM Spider Headcovers for a profit on the Bay so it didn't really cost me much. I am toying with the idea of Mevo + (If I do I go through @iacas), but honestly I sold the Mevo because it accomplished a goal of lowering my ball flight. 

Anyway, I will report back on the V5 soon. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:53 AM, TourSpoon said:

Anyway, I will report back on the V5 soon. Thanks for the input. 

So I have used the V5 for a few rounds with great success. Coming from the V2 it is a major step up. The eyepiece takes a few times to get used to as you have to hold it a little farther from your eye, but with sun glasses on it is perfect. The display is crystal clear and it hits the distances perfectly. The visual jolt is really an step up when you have a flag with competing targets behind it. The absolutely best feature is the magnet. It is very strong and doesn't move. Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and wrote a great review for Bushnell who 2 day shipped on request with no upcharge. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

So 11 months later, I am still on the same battery. I think I used the Slope Feature 3 times and it just confirmed what I saw. The best feature remains the magnet that sticks to the cart or if you walk across the fairway with a few clubs, you can stick it on a clubface so you don't walk off without it. I highly recommend the V5 as this is a quality rangefinder. 

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!