Jump to content
IGNORED

Which Shaft Would You Use?


Recommended Posts

I can’t decide what would be best of my choices, one is to extend the butt to the original Ping Orange dot length of shaft by using another cut down steel shaft approximately 4-5 inches long, or use another brand steel shaft that’s butt trimmed to orange dot length. I ask because the ping shafts were Butt  trimmed for a short woman and there ping zz steel shafts, I’m thinking about playability while I know they won’t be perfect will using the ping be better than other brands? Appreciate your help....

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colins69 said:

I can’t decide what would be best of my choices, one is to extend the butt to the original Ping Orange dot length of shaft by using another cut down steel shaft approximately 4-5 inches long, or use another brand steel shaft that’s butt trimmed to orange dot length. I ask because the ping shafts were Butt  trimmed for a short woman and there ping zz steel shafts, I’m thinking about playability while I know they won’t be perfect will using the ping be better than other brands? Appreciate your help....

My 2 cents is that if you have to add more than 1.5" or so, you are really in need of new shafts.

As far as "orange dot length" is concerned, I always thought that the dot color only denoted lie angle, not length. For example, if I were to order Pings, I would want blue dot (1" upright) at standard length (I fall on the short end of standard range).

I just came across an old post on here that give a good Ping chart. Don't comment in there unless it is really pertinent though, as it is quite an old thread.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

My 2 cents is that if you have to add more than 1.5" or so, you are really in need of new shafts.

As far as "orange dot length" is concerned, I always thought that the dot color only denoted lie angle, not length. For example, if I were to order Pings, I would want blue dot (1" upright) at standard length (I fall on the short end of standard range).

I just came across an old post on here that give a good Ping chart. Don't comment in there unless it is really pertinent though, as it is quite an old thread.

 

Really appreciate your input, I’m not going to add more than 1.5 inches as per info I’ve read and seen on some videos such as Mcgolf. It’s for my brother and the reason I’m leaning towards keeping the ping shafts is the flex suits him, I just don’t know if the butt extension is going to make the shaft stronger or not. Was hoping someone had done it before, guess I do it and see what happens. Cheers 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The extension will make the butt end slightly stiffer, though the added length will lower the frequency overall. 1.5 inches should be fine and far cheaper than reshafting the set.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, new poster here so hope this is in the right section...

I'm keen on the Ben Hogan combo set (Icon Blades and PTx Pro), but I have no idea on the best shafts to pick from their stock offering. I was fitted into Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts for my current Mizunos. Obviously with the Ben Hogan online only offering I can't get fitted for the right shafts.

Does anyone have any views on which of the stock shafts available on the Hogan irons are going to be most similar to the Modus3s I've previously been fit into? I think the two steel stock offerings are KBS Tour, True Temper Dynamic Gold. Any advice gratefully received. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2021 at 6:57 AM, JDS said:

Hello, new poster here so hope this is in the right section...

I'm keen on the Ben Hogan combo set (Icon Blades and PTx Pro), but I have no idea on the best shafts to pick from their stock offering. I was fitted into Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts for my current Mizunos. Obviously with the Ben Hogan online only offering I can't get fitted for the right shafts.

Does anyone have any views on which of the stock shafts available on the Hogan irons are going to be most similar to the Modus3s I've previously been fit into? I think the two steel stock offerings are KBS Tour, True Temper Dynamic Gold. Any advice gratefully received. 

I like the KBS out of the two you mentioned, but a lot of variables to consider so I think a trip to a professional fitter is the best suggestion I got...

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Colins69 said:

I like the KBS out of the two you mentioned, but a lot of variables to consider so I think a trip to a professional fitter is the best suggestion I got...

Thanks for the response. The problem with a fitting for those irons is their sales model is direct from the manufacturer, they aren't stocked in pro shops, so can't get a fitting. As mentioned, I've been fit into the Modus3 for my current set up. If a fitting was possible I'd definitely go for it. I don't want the hassle of a retro fit after purchase and find out I'm in the wrong shafts, which would be expensive to rectify.

In fact, how is this sales model even working with better player irons?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JDS said:

Thanks for the response. The problem with a fitting for those irons is their sales model is direct from the manufacturer, they aren't stocked in pro shops, so can't get a fitting. As mentioned, I've been fit into the Modus3 for my current set up. If a fitting was possible I'd definitely go for it. I don't want the hassle of a retro fit after purchase and find out I'm in the wrong shafts, which would be expensive to rectify.

In fact, how is this sales model even working with better player irons?! 

For myself I learnt to change grips shafts etc because as you say it’s expensive, I did a lot of research watching utube videos. Try “Mcgolf” video the guy is very helpful, you can ask him how to solve your problems, he’s a Top 100 fitter in the USA. Good luck...

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Colins69 said:

For myself I learnt to change grips shafts etc because as you say it’s expensive, I did a lot of research watching utube videos. Try “Mcgolf” video the guy is very helpful, you can ask him how to solve your problems, he’s a Top 100 fitter in the USA. Good luck...

Great, thanks Colins69. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:29 PM, Colins69 said:

I can’t decide what would be best of my choices, one is to extend the butt to the original Ping Orange dot length of shaft by using another cut down steel shaft approximately 4-5 inches long, or use another brand steel shaft that’s butt trimmed to orange dot length. I ask because the ping shafts were Butt  trimmed for a short woman and there ping zz steel shafts, I’m thinking about playability while I know they won’t be perfect will using the ping be better than other brands? Appreciate your help....

I have had great success with steel butt extensions added to short clubs.

Just epoxy them on and trim to finish length.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NHpro said:

I have had great success with steel butt extensions added to short clubs.

Just epoxy them on and trim to finish length.

Really appreciate your reply, now I will try that as I know it's worked for you. I'm hoping it works as well for him, cheers...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I’ve played several times in the past week and a half, four rounds to be exact, so here we go! 5/6: Decided to play 18 holes after school, and I’m happy I did! My front nine was spectacular: two birdies and two bogeys, the rest pars for an even-par 36. One of the birdies was on the tough fifth hole after I bombed a drive and hit a wedge to six feet. That beats my personal best nine by two strokes! I started par-bogey on the back, but went +12 on the last seven holes to shoot 49 on the back for an 85 total. Still a solid number, but it was disappointing after the front.   5/8: I played a handicap match with a buddy at Croasdaile. Because of the tees we were playing and out handicap difference, I got twelve strokes, including nine in a ten-hole stretch. After five holes of the match, I was six over, and down two. But then started the stretch I mentioned above, and I took advantage, winning five holes to take a one up lead through 13. But then came the turning point of the match. I was sitting two on the par-3 14th about three feet out, and since I was getting a stroke here, I had a great chance to go two up with four to play. But then Zack chipped in, and my par putt, not for just a half, missed. All square with four to play. Because I got a stroke on two of the last four holes, I still had a chance to win. But momentum was with Zack. He went +1 on the last four holes, good enough for a two up win. My final numbers: 45-45 for a 90 from the blue/white combo tee (6241 yds, 70.8/133). Despite losing the match, I’m pretty happy with the round. Didn’t putt well on Croasdaile’s quick greens, but hit it well for the most part!   5/11: Played the home course again, and because a league was going off the front, I had to start this round on the tougher back nine. I managed three pars on the back nine, including the signature 18th hole, and I shot 45. Given the way I was playing, I figured I could shoot low 40s on the front nine.  I was right. Five pars on this side, and with two doubles as well, I shot 42 to finish with 87. Another solid round with solid putting (only 30 putts!) that saw my handicap drop a tenth of a stroke (16.0 to 15.9)!   5/17: In prep for the Durham Amateur tournament at Hillandale, I went to play Hillandale yesterday. From the blue tees. On the tougher front nine, I shot 44 which included a par on the tough par-3 seventh. Then, because I had only an hour and 20 minutes until all golfers needed to be off the course, I took a cart for the back nine. Playing kind of fast because I was pressed for time, I actually did okay. Despite playing holes 10-15 in only 45 minutes, I was +7 for the back. Not bad at all because all of the tough holes are in the stretch I’d just finished. I then went par-bogey, meaning a par on the short par-5 18th would bring me in with 88. I proceeded to hit my tee shot into an environmentally protected area, which, lucky me, played as a hazard, so I could just drop. It didn’t help me much though, because I was on in five, and three putted to finish the round with a 47 for the back and a 91 total. Didn’t hit it great, but I putted well again (32 putts here), so that saved me. Short game was also solid!
    • For folks that like the pod, they posted this video of them playing Kiawah recently from where the pros will play this week.  It's a long one,   a pro gives him some advice at the 42 min mark somewhat related to this.  Curious if you agree.    Overall, pretty fun video to watch some decent players try to play that course.    
    • Hi, Anyone out there playing with Ping Eye 2 irons still?  I have acquired a set and would like to deloft these clubs 2-3 deg.  What are your suggestions for final loft specs on these irons?
    • I have played with this push-out early then suck in collapse loopy move for so long, the Mylan coating on my brain pathways is like 40 years old veneer on hardwood.  I really need a few good rounds at some point with this move then I can get some trust and re-Mylan for good. I have literally been losing all context half way through the downswing and jump on the ball abandoning all trust. Scores are a bit comical but I understand where we need to go (I said 'we', hah). Need to survive the lows this year. Digging deep for patience.  
    • Kinda, but kinda the opposite too. If you push your hands "out" early, they'll "suck in" late and fold/collapse. If you just turn (ideally on a steeper angle with your shoulders), and lift, and fold barely… they'll be plenty wide and deep enough.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Billy B
      Billy B
      (42 years old)
    2. Golf hack
      Golf hack
      (61 years old)
    3. GrinderUK
      GrinderUK
      (61 years old)
    4. macuis
      macuis
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...