Jump to content
IGNORED

New Pace Maker Put In, Now What?


Recommended Posts

I recently went through some heart issues and had a pace maker put in. I'm not allowed to play golf for eight weeks, they say I could pull the wires out of where they are attached in the heart.  To say the least I'm a little concerned about playing again even after eight weeks.  Anyone been through this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our senior member of my group (20 guys ranging from ages 36-72) has a pacemaker and has no issues playing golf or staying active. Last week he shot 75* with no problems. He just has to stay away from my new rangefinder that has the magnet on it to attach to the cart. Common sense and following doctors orders will get you on the course with ease.  I have heard plenty of stories of guys that are retired and have no issues.

*There is no correlation to his pacemaker and his gorgeous rhythm. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, TourSpoon said:

Our senior member of my group (20 guys ranging from ages 36-72) has a pacemaker and has no issues playing golf or staying active. Last week he shot 75* with no problems. He just has to stay away from my new rangefinder that has the magnet on it to attach to the cart. Common sense and following doctors orders will get you on the course with ease.  I have heard plenty of stories of guys that are retired and have no issues.

*There is no correlation to his pacemaker and his gorgeous rhythm. 

That is reassuring, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

The wires have to "bed in". This takes a few weeks. Around 2 to 3 months seems to be the recommendation until a full swing.

Arnold Palmer had a pacemaker  - and even had it located slightly higher than normal so it wouldn't interfere with his golf swing.

Edited by Shorty
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

The wires have to "bed in". This takes a few weeks. Around 2 to 3 months seems to be the recommendation until a full swing.

Arnold Palmer had a pacemaker  - and even had it located slightly higher than normal so it wouldn't interfere with his golf swing.

Mine is mounted high in my chest so I don't think it will be a problem, Glad to see I'm in good company. I'm waiting two months for the wires to 'in 'bed' in the heart then I'll ask my doctor if it is OK to swing a club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 10:16 AM, cooke119 said:

I recently went through some heart issues and had a pace maker put in. I'm not allowed to play golf for eight weeks, they say I could pull the wires out of where they are attached in the heart.  To say the least I'm a little concerned about playing again even after eight weeks.  Anyone been through this?

I was the surprised recipient of a pacemaker last summer. I got the same advice about not playing golf for at least 8 weeks and I highly recommend that you stick to that schedule, at least. If you're anything like me, it feels right now as if you may never play golf again, but I can assure you, assuming no other contraindicating factors, you will. It's really important to be patient and let those wires get scarred (locked) into place before you start swinging a golf club around. It's also going to take a while before the implant site starts feeling closer to "normal". I know how tough it is but I'll say it again - patience will pay off.

It's been about 10 months for me and I'm back to beating a ball around the course and I do not worry about the wires in the least. Please do come back to let us know how you're doing.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I was the surprised recipient of a pacemaker last summer. I got the same advice about not playing golf for at least 8 weeks and I highly recommend that you stick to that schedule, at least. If you're anything like me, it feels right now as if you may never play golf again, but I can assure you, assuming no other contraindicating factors, you will. It's really important to be patient and let those wires get scarred (locked) into place before you start swinging a golf club around. It's also going to take a while before the implant site starts feeling closer to "normal". I know how tough it is but I'll say it again - patience will pay off.

It's been about 10 months for me and I'm back to beating a ball around the course and I do not worry about the wires in the least. Please do come back to let us know how you're doing.

Zippo, I heard you asked your doctor if those wires could trigger a quicker swing with a stronger impact release on the ball. Especially if the wires were remotely connected, via Bluetooth, with the PXG driver.😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My father had one installed almost 15 years ago.  Now, at age 85, he still plays golf twice a week.

Modern medicine can do some amazing things…  👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Zippo, I heard you asked your doctor if those wires could trigger a quicker swing with a stronger impact release on the ball. Especially if the wires were remotely connected, via Bluetooth, with the PXG driver.😁

I think my wife may have requested an On/Off switch...

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Zippo said:

I was the surprised recipient of a pacemaker last summer. I got the same advice about not playing golf for at least 8 weeks and I highly recommend that you stick to that schedule, at least. If you're anything like me, it feels right now as if you may never play golf again, but I can assure you, assuming no other contraindicating factors, you will. It's really important to be patient and let those wires get scarred (locked) into place before you start swinging a golf club around. It's also going to take a while before the implant site starts feeling closer to "normal". I know how tough it is but I'll say it again - patience will pay off.

It's been about 10 months for me and I'm back to beating a ball around the course and I do not worry about the wires in the least. Please do come back to let us know how you're doing.

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

So sorry for your loss.   :-(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
50 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

 

@cooke119I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad that must feel.

I'm not a doctor of any sort and I'm sure you know this but it's going to really important to find any small positive thing about each day that you can while you heal from your loss and your surgery. I was close to depression from my implant and subsequent angioplasty procedure and other issues and while I was extremely lucky to have the full support of my wife, she was not able to reach into my head and make things better for me. I had to do the work for myself in my own mind and try to find a way to realize that while I was feeling very low right now, this too would pass. I urge you to find and accept whatever support you need wherever you can find it. Come to the TST grill room and vent, or send me a PM and vent to me.

Golf will still be there when you're ready.

Edited by Zippo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Zippo said:

@cooke119I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad that must feel.

I'm not a doctor of any sort and I'm sure you know this but it's going to really important to find any small positive thing about each day that you can while you heal from your loss and your surgery. I was close to depression from my implant and subsequent angioplasty procedure and other issues and while I was extremely lucky to have the full support of my wife, she was not able to reach into my head and make things better for me. I had to do the work for myself in my own mind and try to find a way to realize that while I was feeling very low right now, this too would pass. I urge you to find and accept whatever support you need wherever you can find it. Come to the TST grill room and vent, or send me a PM and vent to me.

Golf will still be there when you're ready.

You're a good man, Zippo.  You understand Cooke's health issue from the inside out.  Most of us can't fathom it.  May your current driver deliver you 300 yards down the center of the fairway.

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

 

Cooke... hang in there... the members of this forum are with you.  Especially Zippo.  He understands.  Something about getting back to golf that replenishes your soul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I truly believe you can go through this easily. Maybe after 2 months you`ll change your mind, because you always need to do something that you like, to get better 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, Robb77 said:

I truly believe you can go through this easily. Maybe after 2 months you`ll change your mind, because you always need to do something that you like, to get better 👍

Once the doctor gives me the OK I plan on playing a lot of golf which I love. I'm in a league which plays every Tuesday, good bunch of guys. Given my wife passed away I plan on traveling and playing different course. Gotta keep my mind busy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Once the doctor gives me the OK I plan on playing a lot of golf which I love. I'm in a league which plays every Tuesday, good bunch of guys. Given my wife passed away I plan on traveling and playing different course. Gotta keep my mind busy.

Post round, after playing those different golf courses, always take that beer or cocktail and make a silent toast to your wife.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and wishes regards my wife's passing, I'm taking it day by day.

Well my eight weeks are up this coming Friday, doctor has given his OK after that. Think I'll hit the range first and see how things go before I go out on the course. I know I'll need to work on my swing, I think a lot of stretching is in order too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I have stools in my kitchen. It’s how I came up with the description of how the move feels.
    • Not sure there was a particularly awesome shot, but played in a neighborhood scramble today and had a natural eagle on the 18th hole. Hit a 245yd drive down the middle, hit a 210 5W onto the green to 12 ft and made the putt in front of 30 guys from the neighborhood yelling and talking trash from green side. Great hole for me. Only the 4th eagle I’ve ever had.    day overall was decent. The way I hit today was typical for me, not bad, not great.
    • This is bsically the Pelz method, yes?  I do similar, however I don't think I have enough separation between my 1/4 swing vs my 1/2 swing.  Mostly I get too much yardage out of my 1/4 swing.  I have a bit of tape with the yardages written on it on my club just below the grip.   Best feeling, once I shot the pin with my laser and it was 65, so... pulled my 52 degree which had 63 yards (for 1/ backswing) on it. One hit, one bounce, bingo.  I thought I had discovered the holy grail, but found out quickly, golf is hard. But I digress...
    • Out here in WA state I don't know that feeling anymore.  All the barstools have been hidden away for over a year...
    • Distance is a lot more consistent off the 9 wood compared to the hybrid. L to R dispersion may be a bit wider with the 9 wood, but not so much that it creates issues for me.  Quite frankly, at 185 yds I am aiming for the fat part of the green anyhow.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. coop5885
      coop5885
      (36 years old)
    2. Feeler
      Feeler
      (57 years old)
    3. ImHappyInthe80s
      ImHappyInthe80s
      (38 years old)
    4. junivivecream1
      junivivecream1
      (32 years old)
    5. Kyle007
      Kyle007
      (23 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...