IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

iacas

Arm Lock Putting  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

On 4/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, GolfLug said:

I have an older model 36" Cleveland putter that I used last year and half. I am 5'7" with shoes on. I 'anchored' it on my left forearm (I am right handed) a few times (didn't like it as it delofted the face and would 'skip' the ball - a user issue, but that's beside the point). So yeah, surely it will leave a subset out that can still 'anchor' to forearm. 

Come to think of it, I can clasp a 34" putter to my forearm if I bend enough.. 

A putter designed to be used for arm lock has a higher loft - generally 7deg; compared to around 3 deg.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, ncates00 said:

That remains to be seen. The governing bodies may leave it alone or not. 

Perhaps not under the technical definition which pertains to anchoring to the torso, but it is anchored to your arm; hence “armLOCK.” Personally, it’s not a big deal to me, but I do lean on the side of banning it. I would prefer that each shot be played with only your hands, fingers, et al on the grip, not your arm or chest (the latter having already been banned). 

Should the Super Stroke wrist lock putter grip be banned? 

The WristLock is USGA® approved and engineered to “lock” in the upper wrist to prevent any unwanted motion leads to greater consistency in starting the ball on-line and overall distance control. Patented No Taper Technology creates even grip pressure for a more consistent stroke. Parallel design has uniform lower hand profile to minimize grip pressure and maintain putter head path for a more consistent stroke.

wristlock-cover-fb.jpg

SuperStroke’s WristLock Putter Grip is our newest golf grip and is engineered to "lock" in the upper wrist to prevent any unwanted motion. 3 colors offered.

45 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

Should the Super Stroke wrist lock putter grip be banned? 

The WristLock is USGA® approved and engineered to “lock” in the upper wrist to prevent any unwanted motion leads to greater consistency in starting the ball on-line and overall distance control. Patented No Taper Technology creates even grip pressure for a more consistent stroke. Parallel design has uniform lower hand profile to minimize grip pressure and maintain putter head path for a more consistent stroke.

wristlock-cover-fb.jpg

SuperStroke’s WristLock Putter Grip is our newest golf grip and is engineered to "lock" in the upper wrist to prevent any unwanted motion. 3 colors offered.

Sure. I’m fine with that. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MiuraMan said:

A putter designed to be used for arm lock has a higher loft - generally 7deg; compared to around 3 deg.

Yes, I am sure the problem is with the user... :-) 

But that was a mention besides the meat of my point. 

Vishal S.

Simple fix. Just make a rule that when gripping any club, the hands must be in contact with one another and that the club cannot extend more than 3 inches beyond the two hands in contact with one another. 

1 minute ago, longiron205 said:

Simple fix. Just make a rule that when gripping any club, the hands must be in contact with one another and that the club cannot extend more than 3 inches beyond the two hands in contact with one another. 

Ah, the birth of the wrist lock technique.

47 minutes ago, longiron205 said:

So I can’t choke down on a wedge shot? What if a golfer has small hands? What about kids? 

Good rule of thumb, What are the unintended  consequences.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

How about you just can’t look like an ass clown when putting? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 hours ago, longiron205 said:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

So I can’t choke down on a wedge shot? What if a golfer has small hands? What about kids? 

What about a one-handed swing? I've had to make those on occasion, often backward with just my right hand on the club, with the ball by my ankle.

I don't agree that's a "simple fix."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, that takes care of all the "claw grip" variations.  (with apologies to you who use it)

No it does not, as long as the two hands touch somewhere, anywhere, I'm counting it as 'legal'

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, longiron205 said:

No it does not, as long as the two hands touch somewhere, anywhere, I'm counting it as 'legal'

IMG_0458.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think, though I'm old and am frequently wrong, the subject is about putting - not wedges or chippers or drivers or 3 woods. My suggestion would allow you to putt with your driver while using your claw grip, should you wish, but you wouldn't be able to choke down on the grip while doing so.

And, Mr. @Vinsk, if one couldn't look like an assclown while putting then Bryson would be out of a job.

I'm not sure how setting a rule for the length of a putter would stop golfers from planting it on their arms.   All they would have to do is bend over more.  

I cannot imagine the wording of a rule that would say your putter CANNOT ever touch anything other than your hands.  Many traditional putters have the putter shaft hit their wrist just above the hand.  I guess the rule would be how far above your hand can the putter go.   

Makes no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just the old man yelling at clouds because they don't like the looks of something. I took my 48" putter out of the garage because my back is killing me when I practice putting for more than 5 minutes. I can putt all day with that putter, but a standard length putter? Give me Vicodin. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, Xander Schauffele has switched to arm lock putting, although he believes is should be banned. He thinks that, if others are getting an advantage, he should too:

“I am for banning the armlock putters, but if everyone else is going to use it and I feel like they have a bigger advantage, I may as well do the same. I know how good it can be and I think you still have to read putts and get the speed down correctly, but I'm in a very similar setup compared to my old putter and I know I can putt with a shorter putter, so I figured if I can get an advantage on the greens and maybe get to first in putting, that would be something special. So I'm giving it a go. It's better, it's easier. It's more consistent. My coach and I work a lot in San Diego on start lines and making sure the ball's doing what we think it's doing. And the fact that it's anchored to your arm, you can flinch in your hands, but you can't flinch your entire left arm, so that's the process behind that. Because it takes the stress of putting out of the game . . . I think putting is an art in our game and when you can lock it into your arm or anchor it to your body, it kind of gets rid of that.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

9 minutes ago, phan52 said:

Interestingly, Xander Schauffele has switched to arm lock putting, although he believes is should be banned. He thinks that, if others are getting an advantage, he should too:

“I am for banning the armlock putters, but if everyone else is going to use it and I feel like they have a bigger advantage, I may as well do the same. I know how good it can be and I think you still have to read putts and get the speed down correctly, but I'm in a very similar setup compared to my old putter and I know I can putt with a shorter putter, so I figured if I can get an advantage on the greens and maybe get to first in putting, that would be something special. So I'm giving it a go. It's better, it's easier. It's more consistent. My coach and I work a lot in San Diego on start lines and making sure the ball's doing what we think it's doing. And the fact that it's anchored to your arm, you can flinch in your hands, but you can't flinch your entire left arm, so that's the process behind that. Because it takes the stress of putting out of the game . . . I think putting is an art in our game and when you can lock it into your arm or anchor it to your body, it kind of gets rid of that.”

Hmmm.... he's almost got me convinced to give it a try.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I feel like if I could do arm-lock putt better I'd be more worked up about it, but every time I've tried one in the store I just can't get the feel for it. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7