Jump to content
IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?


Arm Lock Putting  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

    • Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Why?

And couldn't a person grip the club in an Arm Lock style such that they keep their hand against their forearm, so the putter is only contacting their hands?

Sure they could. If the ruling bodies were to ban it, I'm sure they would come up with the wording, and possibly have pictures that showed what was allowed, and what was not allowed. Enforcement would be up to the integrity and honesty of the player. Personally, I really don't care what method is used. I really had no problem with the anchored putting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

I'm more miffed by the likes of Adam Scott and Bernhard Langer

Posted Images

  • Administrator
39 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Sure they could. If the ruling bodies were to ban it, I'm sure they would come up with the wording, and possibly have pictures that showed what was allowed, and what was not allowed. Enforcement would be up to the integrity and honesty of the player. Personally, I really don't care what method is used. I really had no problem with the anchored putting.

So again: why?

Why argue for how to write it (especially by quoting me) if you don’t care?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

So again: why?

Why argue for how to write it (especially by quoting me) if you don’t care?

My first post was in response to a question about enforcement, and I quoted you to response when you quoted me. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I was responding to a hypothetical with a hypothetical. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
26 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

My first post was in response to a question about enforcement, and I quoted you to response when you quoted me. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I was responding to a hypothetical with a hypothetical. 

Then, I guess, don't argue for something you don't believe.

Because in arguing for "you could ban them like this…" it puts you in the "ban Arm Lock putting" camp.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf needs another rule like I need another hole in the head. 

I'm not convinced the "arm lock"  is that big of an advantage. If time proves me wrong and everyone adopts it, I'm not sure that's a bad thing either. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Golf needs another rule like I need another hole in the head. 

I'm not convinced the "arm lock"  is that big of an advantage. If time proves me wrong and everyone adopts it, I'm not sure that's a bad thing either. 

 

A few guys roll in some putts with a particular style....ban the technique.

A few guys bomb the bejesus outta the golf ball....roll back the equipment.

Nonsense. All of it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I see all the alternate grips and methods as crutches. I find putting with a traditional grip the easiest thing to do in golf. It baffles me how players who can drive it 330 yards, hit 3 irons dead center in the face every time,  curve irons at will and drop a wedge to spin back to two feet have trouble with a grip my grandma could have mastered. And she was a 4’ 10” Italian lady.

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I see all the alternate grips and methods as crutches. I find putting with a traditional grip the easiest thing to do in golf. It baffles me how players who can drive it 330 yards, hit 3 irons dead center in the face every time,  curve irons at will and drop a wedge to spin back to two feet have trouble with a grip my grandma could have mastered. And she was a 4’ 10” Italian lady.

Well, there's golf and then there's putting.. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, iacas said:

You could still Arm Lock with a 36” putter. Also what if you’re very short or very tall?

My putter is 37” and I putt conventional. I’m 6’7” I’d have a problem with the 36” max length for putters.
 

Armlock putting isn’t anchoring anyway. And it’s not going away. You still are required to have the skill to putt the ball into the hole whether its with an 18” putter extremely crouched stance. Or a 41” armlock putter. It’s still a skill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
17 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

And it’s not going away.

That remains to be seen. The governing bodies may leave it alone or not. 

 

17 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Armlock putting isn’t anchoring anyway.

Perhaps not under the technical definition which pertains to anchoring to the torso, but it is anchored to your arm; hence “armLOCK.” Personally, it’s not a big deal to me, but I do lean on the side of banning it. I would prefer that each shot be played with only your hands, fingers, et al on the grip, not your arm or chest (the latter having already been banned). 

Edited by ncates00
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Perhaps not under the technical definition which pertains to anchoring to the torso, but it is anchored to your arm; hence “armLOCK.”

That’s not the definition of “anchoring.”

The definition of “anchoring,” as I’ve said a few times now, relates to keeping part of the putter (almost always the butt end of the club) fixed in 3D space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I see all the alternate grips and methods as crutches. I find putting with a traditional grip the easiest thing to do in golf. It baffles me how players who can drive it 330 yards, hit 3 irons dead center in the face every time,  curve irons at will and drop a wedge to spin back to two feet have trouble with a grip my grandma could have mastered. And she was a 4’ 10” Italian lady.

Putters/Grip= Bass fishing lures..same concept 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, boogielicious said:

I see all the alternate grips and methods as crutches. I find putting with a traditional grip the easiest thing to do in golf. It baffles me how players who can drive it 330 yards, hit 3 irons dead center in the face every time,  curve irons at will and drop a wedge to spin back to two feet have trouble with a grip my grandma could have mastered. And she was a 4’ 10” Italian lady.

I agree. I think the Rules should be such that no portion of the grip extends above (above being towards the elbow) the player's wrist. that would allow longer putters for beanstalk golfers and shorter putters for squirt golfers - and all of us tweeners. Exceptions would be made for golfers who putt with their feet, of course. Fortunately, the Rules folk aren't listening to me...

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
28 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I agree. I think the Rules should be such that no portion of the grip extends above (above being towards the elbow) the player's wrist. that would allow longer putters for beanstalk golfers and shorter putters for squirt golfers - and all of us tweeners. Exceptions would be made for golfers who putt with their feet, of course. Fortunately, the Rules folk aren't listening to me...

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted to keep it. What about tape on fingers, wrist, kinesio tape on legs, shoulders? Justin Thomas has some kind of band on his upper arm under his sleeve. I think it is Whoop? Scott McCarron has that compression band on his forearm.

I heard of a collegiate golfer getting DQ'd for having a golf tee in her mouth. They said it was a training aid for fade/draw feel. Put it on one side of mouth for fade, the other for draw.

I would think, bands and tape could affect feels and also range of motion or reminders on motion that could be unfair.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

The tee was moveable. The tape is medical.

We should make sure Kisner doesn't move his dip from one side of mouth to the other.🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

Do you also armlock your driver?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. awmgolfer
      awmgolfer
      (42 years old)
    2. jakeecsj
      jakeecsj
      (73 years old)
    3. joshuanseibert
      joshuanseibert
      (31 years old)
    4. nippo
      nippo
      (77 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...